VW Golf door handle - Matt Kelly
I have a 1990 Golf GTI.
My rear door handle has broken, specifically the bit that you hook your finger round and pull activate the mechanism if you get my drift. I've got a replacement - how easy is it to replace the old one with the new one, and does anyone have any handy hints for making it easier ?
It looks relatively straightforward in the Haynes but I just know that I'm going to lose several of the little screws that hold the door trim on.
Thanks in advance.
Re: VW Golf door handle - Richard Hall
Do you mean the outer or inner handle? The outers break all the time. 2 screws, 2 minutes. Prise the stainless steel finisher from the outside of the handle to reveal the first screw. The second screw goes into the handle housing from the end - you will see it when you open the door. Remove old handle and replace with new one. No need to take the door trim off, and no pushrods or linkages to disconnect. If you mean the inner handle, I have never done one of these so I can't help you...
Re: It's the outer one - Matt Kelly
Could you just run the bit about the second screw by me again please ?
I'm not sure I understand how there can be no linkages etc. to disconnect - if that's the case how does the handle open the door ?

Perhaps it'll be clear when I get the replacement handle - it's on its way from a breakers.
Re: It's the outer one - Mike Wolstencroft
Matt
It pushes on the lock mechanism in the door, that's all. To make them last thoroughly grease the replacement handle pivot ( the thing that the inner handle trigger is fastened to ) since this is the bit that breaks.
Re: It's the outer one - Big Vern
The silver bit Richard is talking about is black on the Golf (silver on the polos). Hard to explain without diagrams.... but here goes... open the door, take a fine flat screwdriver and prise the small bit of black trim (see above) out of the center of the exterior handle (clips in at the front and back) to reveal a cross headed screw, remove this. Now look at the bit of the open door that sits above the wheel arch when closed (also the bit with the switch for a child lock on many cars), it has a large cross head screw level with the exterior handle, take this screw out and the exterior handle can be removed very easily.

All VW's of this age have simailar door handles and they are interchangable, usefull for replacing broken locks and delocking passanger door!!
However, as you will see when if you ever take the front ones off, they can be a weak link in security, (I will not disclose here exactly why, as you never know who could read this) you should fit the armour plates available form all good Parts vendors (eg Euro car parts, German swedish & french) They are dead easy to fit and should be quite cheap.
Re: It's the outer one - Matt Kelly
Thanks Vern (my favourite all time Viz character by the way), you've cleared that up pretty well. Seems fairly straightforward, I'll give it a go this weekend or next.

I have read somewhere about the front door handles being a bit of a weak link, perhaps I'll try the armoured ones once I've had a go at the rear.
Re: It's the outer one - Big Vern
The parts I suggested are not replacement handles, they are just a plate that fits behind the handle to prevent screwdrivers being forced into the door above the handle, if you bought the car 2nd hand you a previous owner may have fitted them, they look like a square of black around the lock end of the handle.
Re: It's the outer one - Ben Chapman
And make sure you fit the armoured door plates to both front and rear doors, i see many 5 door golfs with just plates on the front! Without these plates you can break into a mk.2 in seconds with a screw driver.
Regarding the plates themselves. ECp and german and swedish and french do carry them. I have the ECP ones on my car but they are fairly crap. They require one to file the hole in the door where the main handle goes. Additionaly, when they are done up tight, they do warp the door skin very slightly. Nothing serious, and it all goes back to normal if you remove them, though it is perceptable. I think this will only worry you if you are really fussy about the look of your car.
if you fit them remember to paint over the exposed metal. I also sprayed a load of waxoyl in there to prevent rusting.
I think the "Armour" door plates sold by Volkspares are better, though more expensive- i would have bought them if i had the money.

Ben
Re: It's the outer one - Andrew Barnes

Euro Car Parts sell these handles for about 8 quid and they're stronger than the originals.

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk

>
> Could you just run the bit about the second screw by me again
> please ?
> I'm not sure I understand how there can be no linkages etc.
> to disconnect - if that's the case how does the handle open
> the door ?
>
> Perhaps it'll be clear when I get the replacement handle -
> it's on its way from a breakers.
Re: It's the outer one - Dave
Nah! Roger Mellie!
Re: It's the outer one - Rob
Buster Go (well known English Hi-Fi manufacturer) and his unfeasibly large....