The Muppet Counter - Andy P
Having passed a Toyoya Avensis on the M56 this morning with both front and rear foglights on (I think the fog must have been in the driver's brain as there wasn't any outside the car), I've decided to start a daily "Mupper Counter". Watch for it on the Web!

Today's muppet count (M56/M53 + some other roads, 40 minute journey time) was 32.

Andy
The Muppet Counter - Andy P
Having thought about it, calling it the "Muppet counter" is probably an insult to the Muppets....

Andy
The Muppet Counter - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Not so sure about that.
From my recent experiences in near darkness, on balance, I'd rather see a car with too many lights on than dark cars with none on.
I agree being dazzled is not pleasant.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
The Muppet Counter - Rover25
all those lights make Muppets easier to spot and therefore avoid.
The Muppet Counter - JH
Andy,
is this Muppet counter solely for fog light 'nanas who might just benefit from polishing their glasses or can I nominate the police driver in front of me (Volvo estate, not local thing) last night who rolled back EVERY TIME we made a few feet of progress up a slight gradient towards the roundabout? I thought that was test failure? Still, I should relax a little because I'm sure he's "highly trained".

John
The Muppet Counter - ka razy
slightly off in a tangent maybe,but the amount of drivers iv'e seen recently at night with no lights on is scary.Car i drive warns you when leaving, if you've left lights on,what about a reminder in darkness,via a sensor if you havn't turned them on..does this exist?
The Muppet Counter - Hugo {P}
....those who are driving very slowly and then stop on a corner without indicating and decide to park.

This happened to me over a year ago, and it still gets my goat. I was not driving that close to her but that car STOPPED just on the exit to the car park that leads into a side road. The driver got out, walked over to another car and started a casual conversation with another driver.

Now that annoys me!
The Muppet Counter - neil
Having driven quite a few, the handbrake on V70s isn't the best thing about them - not sure why, I suspect because they operate on a small inner drum part of the rear disc if they're like previous generation Volvos - but if you stop on a hill and apply the handbrake the car does roll back a few inches - it feels like more but I'd guess 3-4 inches. Every time. There's no way to avoid this, honest! This isn't the brake slipping in some way, it appears to be just 'taking up the slack' as the wheel rotates slightly - its then fine. I'd have thought that was a type approval failure, but they all do it, as does my Dad's civilian version. Embarrassing, but although we're aware of it its alarming to people behind. The ergonomics of pulling the handbrake on, considering its stupid positioning under the drivers left armpit, is a further source of irritation!

Neil
The Muppet Counter - Hugo {P}
.....that's your excuse and you're sticking to it I suppose Neil...:)
The Muppet Counter - PhilW
"the amount of drivers Iv'e seen recently at night with no lights on"

I think it's even worse on these dark (foggy?) mornings. Is it because people are still half asleep? Worst one was a dark grey/blue Puma at 6am the other morning - virtually invisible in fog and dark. I flashed my lights at him/her - he/she flashed back and continued without lights!
Phil
The Muppet Counter - Bromptonaut
Having driven quite a few, the handbrake on V70s isn't the
best thing about them -

Pug205 and Berlingo do this, or appear to from drivers seat rear end rises up and slight rearward lurch. Wheels fully braked but car tries to roll over the trailing arms of the rear suspension IYKWIM.
The Muppet Counter - L'escargot
police driver in front of me (Volvo estate, not local thing)
last night who rolled back EVERY TIME we made a few
feet of progress up a slight gradient

Was his car fitted with one of those new-fangled electronic handbrake release mechanisms?
--
L\'escargot.
The Muppet Counter - JH
L,
I thought it prudent not to ask!
John
The Muppet Counter - cumfray1
Top of the muppet counter so far has to be the driver propelling his car up the M1 this morning at not far off 100mph in thick freezing fog (visibility about 40ft) all lights blazing & you only get 1 guess to the make of car.

1st answer correct gets Xmas greetings :-)
The Muppet Counter - lordy
bmw?
--
let me be the last to let you down....
The Muppet Counter - cumfray1
bmw?

Merry Christmas Lordy & a Happy New Year to you :-)
The Muppet Counter - Happy Blue!
Not certain the question mark after BMW was strictly necesary!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
The Muppet Counter - lordy
Not certain the question mark after BMW was strictly necesary!

Can I defend myself by saying the question mark was ironic?
--
let me be the last to let you down....
The Muppet Counter - smokie
...and can we not turn this into another BMW bashing thread.

Thanks
smokie, BR Moderator
The Muppet Counter - Phil I
Driver equiped with Xray vision for seeing round blind bends and infrared option for seeing through fog. Have a few of these round these parts who think that unclassified roads mean you may travel at 60 plus 6 plus 2 in safety; regardless of the fact that these roads are very often less than 14ft wide.
The Muppet Counter - Mattster
These fog light muppets can't help it. They just don't have the advantage of rational thought like us - decisions are made for them by their CPUs. The same people can also be seen rigidly adhering to speed limits when inappropriate to do so.
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
The Muppet Counter - mfarrow
The same people can
also be seen rigidly adhering to speed limits when inappropriate to
do so.

For example??

--------------
Mike Farrow
The Muppet Counter - Manatee
>> The same people can
>> also be seen rigidly adhering to speed limits when inappropriate
to
>> do so.
For example??
--------------
Mike Farrow

I hope he means 'when it would be appropriate to be going more slowly', e.g 30 limits in busy town centres or housing estates with parked cars everywhere?
The Muppet Counter - mfarrow
Maybe, I hadn't thought of that, but there's a difference between rigidly adhering to a speed limit and rigidly driving at a speed limit.

--------------
Mike Farrow