Peugeot 406 auto gear change - Big Bad Dave
Peugeot 406 auto, 100k miles

I?ve never been convinced by the gear change on my 406, it doesn?t slam instantaneously into the next gear like all my other autos have - sometimes it?s as slow as changing manually and kind of revs inbetween changes. The down -shift is fine, it?s only while shifting up. Sometimes it changes up - down - up in quick succession as if it?s not sure what to do. It never feels like it?ll let me down, it?s just "not right".

I?m taking it to be prepared for winter on Friday (winter tyres, oil, antifreeze, mini service etc), should I have the transmission fluid changed at the same time? I saw Ed China and Mike Brewer cure a dicky Range Rover gearbox by simply doing this. And how often should I be changing gearbox oil? If it?s not a simple fix, I?ll just live with it...

Thanks as always, Dave.
Peugeot 406 auto gear change - Ruperts Trooper
Changing the fluid should always be the first, cheap, task when investigating a misbehaving autobox.

Check the colour of the oil on the dipstick (assumimg there is one!). If it's red it's ok. If it's reddy-brown, thats normal ageing. If it's dark brown it needs changing. If it's black, the box may soon need a rebuild.

A number of manufacturers state clearly that their gearboxes NEVER need an oil change, manual or auto, except in "arduous" conditions. I change mine once a year, at a cost in ATF of £9, just for peace of mind.