reply to my two weeks in the uk - Andy Bairsto
I would like to thank everybody who replied both on the webb site and pprivately.
I have very good friends in the UK and there are I believe honest and hardworking population let down by politicians of all parties.
I was glad to get back to Dresden where most things seem to work including a report from my local police station to say that they have observed my empty property and had kept a special lookout and if there was any problems please call them,but then again we have ten times the police per head of population than the uk.
By the way although everythink in the UK was expensive(eating out),you have the best supermarkets in Europe the service and quality was on the whole was very good
Re: reply to my two weeks in the uk - Kev
Guess you went to Tesco then.......

Kev, Internet shopper, currently moored @ um, Tesco
Re: reply to my two weeks in the uk - Andy Bairsto
not quite correct I went to Sainsburys just of the M20 going to Dover,but I used tescos in Warwick Way Pimlico
Re: reply to my two weeks in the uk - Alwyn
Andy,

Tell me more about the ratio of police to citizens.
To Alwyn re police numbers - Andy Bairsto
Alwyn,In Germany the police are divided into divisions,they have what is called the green police or domestic who control small problems that are not deemed criminal such as domestic disputes ,quiete time observation vanalism etc.These are uniformed but not armed.Then we have what we would call the normal police on the beat with access to immidiate vehicle backup these are armed and well trained,Then comes traffic and crime control who set up road blocks at any time and check for any crime ie no insurance ,stolen cars,drinking etc they also have these on the autobahns tolook for all types of crimes involving HGVs.Then comes the traffic police often in unmarked cars looking for moving driving offences and accidents they are not interested in general with speeding as this is controled by the civilian dept ie camaras etc.
Then we have the riot police who man railway stations airports city centres any crime hotspot such as football matches ,marches and demos,these are armed with automatic weopons and are approached with caution.
The figures of personnel show most countries across Europe having one policeofficer per 500 population in the uk it is more like 5000 and in some areas not even this number.The recent riots in Bradford were minutes from them calling in the army as no more officers were available and they were loosing control.This would never happen anywhere else in Europe the riots might happen but there is always enough backup to control them in the end.
The statement in London where they are to take none existant traffic police to patrol the streets as the numbers used do not include sick ,holidays ,days off,court duties,office duties etc.it is meaningless.The head in the sand syndrome comes to my mind.
Its not that we are more law abbiding in Germany its the knowledge that we will more than likely get caught.Crimes solved in the UK 1 in 10 in Germany 7 in 10 todays sky news
Re: reply to my two weeks in the uk - Andrew Barnes

>you have the best supermarkets in Europe the service and
> quality was on the whole was very good

I think the French supermarkets (Carrefour etc) are much bigger and better than our UK ones.

Andrew