Condensation - Tim Allcott
As it's that time of year again (the one where you sometimes need windscreen wipers on the inside of the windows as well and it is really unpleasant when you have to use deicer on the inside of the windscreen too) has anyone ever used a de humidifier (chemically based) for the inside of their car? does it work?
Tim{P}
Condensation - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I would never use de-icer on the inside of the screen. Will make it difficult to see out of and possibly damage plastics.
Get the engine running then scrape/use warm water on the outside.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Condensation - Red Baron
I find that if you use warm water (no more than 50°C) on the outside of the windscreen then this does three things:

-Prevents 'ghosting' of images on the outside of the screen.
-Thaws the ice or snow.
-Warms the thickness of the window such that condensate won't appear on the inside as soon as you open the door.

Faster-acting, less effort and more environmentally friendly.
Condensation - Aprilia
As it's that time of year again (the one where you
sometimes need windscreen wipers on the inside of the windows as
well and it is really unpleasant when you have to use
deicer on the inside of the windscreen too) has anyone ever
used a de humidifier (chemically based) for the inside of their
car? does it work?
Tim{P}

Do you mean like a tub of silica gel? I suppose it would work - I used to use this stuff in my boat in the winter.
I wouldn't use chemical de-icer inside the car - fumes might make you ill. A fan heater and extension cable - 10mins before you set off - works very well.
Condensation - Tim Allcott
Yup, something like silica gel. Anyone tried it? I have to say I have used the "lukewarm" water approach successfully (not lost a windscreen yet) and don't like using deicer inside, 'cos of the fumes. Fan heater would be good, but the car's too far away from a socket....
Tim{P}
Condensation - Rover25
I seem to recall that you can get small 12 volt fan heaters that plug into a cigar lighter socket. Can't remember where last saw them though.......
Condensation - Xileno {P}
If it's the same one as I've got, I wouldn't bother. It's worse than useless.
Condensation - islandman
On really cold mornings and always if Iced up, I nip out and start the car about 5/10 mins before I go off to work. Setting the heating on hot usually clears everything and the car is nice & warm & clear to set off.

This is ok on the drive and may not be ideal out on street (for obvious reasons) I am fortunate enough to live in an area where no one is going to nick the car!! (I hope anyway)
I suppose this uses a bit more fuel but what the heck!
Condensation - No FM2R
Despite the fact that a load of people will be along in a moment to explain that you are shortening the life of your car, its illegal, you'll be forever damned in hell for the polution, and that you should change your oil at least three times before leaving for work, I have to say I do the same;

Started three cars this morning, went back in for coffee, not a cigaratte, sadly :-( then went back out, switched off two and drove the [warm and ice-clear] third to work.
Condensation - Big Bad Dave
Me too, done this for 20 years till I got a garridge and I pour boiling water straight from a kettle over frozen windows. Only ever cracked one windscreen but that was with the car heater not the kettle.

Good tip in Polish Winters is to remember landmarks where you park as one big pile of snow looks like all the others. Carry a large broom.
Condensation - Red Baron
Brilliant! Are we going to get Polish winters in the UK sometime too. I like snow.
Condensation - kithmo
Despite the fact that a load of people will be
along in a moment to explain that you are shortening the
life of your car, its illegal, you'll be forever damned in
hell for the polution, and that you should change your oil
at least three times before leaving for work, I have to
say I do the same;
Started three cars this morning, went back in for coffee, not
a cigaratte, sadly :-( then went back out, switched off
two and drove the [warm and ice-clear] third to work.

You forgot to mention the noise polution, I'm glad I'm not your next door neighbour lying in bed listening to the low frequency hum of three cars ticking over for half an hour in the early hours, stinking the area out with fumes. Sound travels well on cold damp air.
Condensation - tyro
Xileno
Is this the Summit Ceramic Heater
www.summit-auto.com/
mentioned on page 127 of the November edition of What Car? I saw it mentioned in the article and thought that it sounded quite promising.

(If it isn't - does anyone else have experience of this device?)

Tyro
I can't get that link to work. I wouldn't like to say what make mine was, it's so long ago. I will have a look tonight. I just remember it wasn't much use.
Condensation - $till $kint
Try this
www.summit-auto.com/Winter.htm
$$
Very similar from memory. Maybe the current models are better.
If I can find mine, you can have it.
Sorry, can't find it anywhere. I suspect SWMBO has got rid of it, anything that doesn't justify its existence usually is moved on. I'm waiting for my marching orders.
Condensation - tyro
Not to worry. Sounds like I didn't really want it anyway. But thanks for the kind offer.
Condensation - Chris S
I have to say I have used the "lukewarm" water approach

The only trouble with the 'luke warm water' approach is that it tends to freeze on the ground. If there isn't a thaw during the day then you slip on it the next morning!
Condensation - doctorchris
Ah, I remember a journey a few years back through the Scottish borders at night in winter, outside temperature -20C. Five people all breathing away inside the car so that, despite the heating on full blast, the condensation froze on the side windows.
How the kids laughed, until the frost bite prevented all muscle movement.
Condensation - BobbyG
I have seen various mention of windscreen wipes that you use at night and frost won't form. Has anyone seen them and more importantly, are they any good and practical?
Condensation - Altea Ego
I am a devotee of Mr No's school of car warming. Like mr No I miss the morning fag as well.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Condensation - Altea Ego
Oh and whats this devotion the heated Ford screen? Utterly useless. The heated mirrors were good tho, they got so hot they steamed!
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Condensation - L'escargot
Oh and whats this devotion the heated Ford screen? Utterly useless.

I'm on my third Ford with a Quickclear windscreen and they've all been brilliant. I'm so impressed that if a car didn't have an electrically heated windscreen I wouldn't buy it.
--
L\'escargot.
Condensation - L'escargot
The inconvenience caused by condensation on the inside of car windows/windscreen can sometimes be minimised by prudent parking. The condensation will occur mostly on the side opposite to that which last gets the sun.
--
L\'escargot.
Condensation - cub leader
there are sprays and wipes you can get of which i have used both (Golf steamed up badly) both work but need reapplying every couple of weeks
--
Im a student ive got time!!!
Condensation - madf
Ford heated screens are I agree brilliant.

Leaving cars running in drives = invitation for thieves and low life. imo.

A hot water bottle on the seat before you get in is good.

madf
Leaving a window open slightly, say 1 cm, helps significantly to reduce condensation. However, on a lot of cars the windows close when you lock the car...
Condensation - Marc
Start up car. Turn blower on full, on max heat setting and directed at windscreen (defrost position), also turn on a/c if fitted. Also activate heated rear window and mirrors if fitted. Close car door and get to work on outside windows with de icer and scraper. When finished outside windows relax with a fag or a cup of coffee for a few more minutes whilst the inside finishes off. Total time about five mins.
Condensation - BobbyG
"Total time about five mins"

and a gallon of fuel!!!!
Condensation - Marc
Admittedly not very green but better that than an accident caused by poor visibility, especially if it's SWMBO on the school run.
Condensation - Roberson
I bought some Rain X 'Antifog' from Wilkinson?s the other day. Practical classics gave it the thumbs up, so I thought I?d give it a try.

I usually just put the blower on max and drive with the window open. The car warms up quicker that just leaving it idling. But on odd occasions, when the engines still stone cold, nothing but my jacket sleeve will shift it.

When I?ve applied it and assessed how it works. I'll let you know.
Condensation - Hamsafar
Using deicer on the outside makes the windscreen fog up on the inside due to the second law of thermodynamics.
Here's the science bit:
Intoduction of deicer to the frozen water changes the entropy and state of the water from solid to liquid, but heat has to flow from the glass to re-establish equillibrium. So if the windscreen was at say -5deg C it will be say -20deg C after the de-icer has done it's job.

As a deicer/warmer, use tepid water that you keep in the house in a small bucket or large bottle.
Condensation - lordy
here's my winter routine-
turn on engine and switch heater OFF. Doing this enables engine to warm up quicker. Also, there is no point drawing cold air into the passenger compartment. get to work outside with long handled scraper. After a couple of minutes, then turn the heater, and a/c on full, directed to the windscreen, plus heated rear window, mirrors (and if you're lucky, seats!) Take your scraper back to the garage and dry off. Then jump into dry, warm car, and get a nice toasty bum!

BTW, remember you will need a friendly spouse to sit in the car when you take your scraper inside or you may risk invalidating your car insurance blah blah blah!
Condensation - kithmo
no point putting the aircon on, it doesn't function below 5 deg C.
Condensation - lordy
no point putting the aircon on, it doesn't function below 5
deg C.

hmmmm. What do you mean doesn't function? Do you mean it doesn't provide hot air, or doesn't provide 'treated' air? I also assume you mean when the temp of air circulating the a/c system is below 5 deg? Aircon will provide 'treated' dry air and clear the windscreen quicker than non a/c system.
Condensation - pyruse
In most cars with climate control, the aircon comes on automatically when you select 'screen demist'. Doesn't cool anything, but does dehumidify the air so the screen clears quicker. It's almost as quick as a heated windscreen, and you don't get those annoying fine wires in your line of sight.
Condensation - apm
Confirm what Kith says- the climate on my Leon won't operate below 3 degrees.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Condensation - MoneyMart
QUOTE : "hmmmm. What do you mean doesn't function? Do you mean it doesn't provide hot air, or doesn't provide 'treated' air? I also assume you mean when the temp of air circulating the a/c system is below 5 deg? Aircon will provide 'treated' dry air and clear the windscreen quicker than non a/c system. "

No it won't.

Aircon switches itself off completely below around 5 degrees external air temp to prevent the condensor freezing up. The little button might light up, but functionally it's as if it was turned off...

RTFM! It's all there in black and white...!

Condensation - MoneyMart
Warm water does the trick for me! Shifts ice off the windscreen and warms the glass for just long enough to keep condensation at bay until the heater warms up.

No need to make your engine suffer by leaving it ticking over when cold. Every new car manual says quite clearly to avoid doing this! It's amazing how many people think they know better than the manufacturer!!
Condensation - lordy
QUOTE : "hmmmm. What do you mean doesn't function? Do you
mean it doesn't provide hot air, or doesn't provide 'treated' air?
I also assume you mean when the temp of air circulating
the a/c system is below 5 deg? Aircon will provide 'treated'
dry air and clear the windscreen quicker than non a/c system.
"
No it won't.
Aircon switches itself off completely below around 5 degrees external air
temp to prevent the condensor freezing up. The little button might
light up, but functionally it's as if it was turned off...
RTFM! It's all there in black and white...!

I'd take issue with that. If you are driving on a frosty morn (no a/c) with a part misted w/screen and then turn on a/c, the mist clears rapidly, indicating de-humidified air is being blown out.
Condensation - MoneyMart
RTFM & argue with the manufacturers then!
Condensation - IanJohnson
Get an Accord - mine produces warm air very quickly - but only with the aircon on auto. Am told they run the compressor in reverse or something like that!
Condensation - lordy
Get an Accord - mine produces warm air very quickly -
but only with the aircon on auto. Am told they
run the compressor in reverse or something like that!

Ahh! I do have an accord (tourer), perhaps honda have cracked it again eh? the leather seats heat up equally as quickly as the interior!