Dilema (no it's not a car) - martin glover
Thanks for all the messages regarding the 309 Peugeot. Just had it back from the garage and it is confirmed that the Head gasket is going, car is only running on 2 cylinders, starter is also going, radiator is leaking and clutch is wearing thin, plus all the other problems i mentioned earlier.

Well, considering i do not know the car's service history, just that it had this recon engin at 90,000, it appears that the previous owners did not take too much care of it. I have had a good 20,000 since buying it 18months ago and now it seems as though i would rather put £500 towards a newer car. I guess it depends on what you need a car for, but in my case i only need it for 5 months a yr when i drive down to S.france, i do not really use my car in England due to heavy motoring costs and fact of living in a small town. The car stays garaged until i need it over the summer or winter, when as i said it drives down to south Europe on the Autoroute.

Consequently i need a very reliable car as i cannot afford to breakdown in Europe (even with AA intnational cover), it is just too much stress and hassel.

If anyone has any ideas as to what i might find for up to £3000 please let me know.

Preferences:
1996-2000 Reg
Max 70,000 miles
Diesel
Peugeot or other French car, Renault etc
Not fussy about gadgets, must be safe above all.

thanks again!
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - Matt Kelly
It's got to be a Xantia diesel, surely. Only fly in ointment is that you'll need to get one that has done just over 70K miles in order to have had the expensive service done.

I have read all of David W's posts ever and can now regurgitate the useful information.

On a serious note - have you considered, given your usage pattern, making your money go further by buying a left hand drive vehicle ?
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - Dave
Just out of interest, has the garage that condemmed this car offered to buy it off you?
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - Richard Hall
Citroen ZX might be a better bet than a Xantia. I suspect the suspension hydraulics on the Xantia could give problems if the car is left standing unused for months at a time. (DW, please feel free to correct me on this).
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - David Millar
Martin

You have already set most of the spec. If you decide on LHD, there may be a discount here over the equivalent RHD but choice will be limited. With the south of France trip in mind, do you need estate car space on the down and back legs?

Whatever Peugeot or Citroen suggestions are made will be good ones so it boils down to how far you are prepared to travel for an Autotrader advert? I have no Renault knowledge so can't comment on their diesels other than say HJ's summaries are probably as good as you'll get.

Volvo, VW and Audi diesels will also fit the bill but I would check that there is a local agent close to your south of France base. Most little towns will have a Peugeot/Citroen/Remault sub-agent but not necessarily the other marques. I'm planning (dreaming) of doing something similar with part of the year spent out of the UK and I've found it easy to check local franchises in France using the web.

David
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - Piers
Rent out your garage. Use the money from that to buy a cheapo car when you need it and then flog it when you get back.

Piers
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - David Millar
Piers

Personally, I'd agree with that thought if I wasn't going to make much use of the car once it was abroad. Another 309, Peugeot 405/505 diesel/BX would be acceptable to me, and there wouldn't be much to lose if it suffers terminal failure. However, if Martin wants to spend £3,000 that's his business.

David
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - Piers
Sorry David, my suggestion wasn't intended to be tagged onto your response, but to Martins original query.

Piers
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - David W
Martin,

Xantia if you fancy one for the excellent ride and size, ZX/Xsara if you're happy with the 309 sized cars. 405 also no problem.

Yes the Xantia is likely to be more of a liability if left standing due to the extra components to go sticky. I wouldn't worry about it myself but it is a fair point.

Be wary of Renault. It is the Renaults I look after that are stood now and again that seem to get odd electrical faults or things seizing/corroding.

In your price range that Citroen/Peugeot 1.9Td is the best diesel engine by far and you've got a load of models to find it in.

On a few of these models buying at 80K rather than 68K makes sense. The 72,000 service includes (at the dealers) timing belt, all filters, coolant, brake fluid on a ZX, hydraulic fluid on a Xantia, sometimes glowplugs.

David.
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - martin glover
Thing is, i need something very reliable on foriegn roads, the other half will not accept or compromise on safty and some comfort (under the whip on this one). European breakdown recovery is a nightmare even when you speak french! (been there and done it). I'd rather not spend £2000 - £2500 on a motor, but it has to have things like air bags, door crash bars (for the kids) etc, gadgets don't matter. I have known people who picked up total bargains at auctions, but i understand auctions can be very risky.

A citroen Xantia or ZX diesel sounds promising, what should i expect to pay for a 96-98 model with lowish milage?

LHD sounds good too, i do not intend to sell it on quickly, want something i can actually keep for yrs, not one or two.

thanks
Re: Dilema (no it's not a car) - Mark (Brazil)
I don't like recommending such things, but I bought my sister a Xantia Diesel Estate back in November or so, and she absolutely loves it. ITs a different style of driving, mind.

I've been driving a Xantia Petrol Estate for a couple of days, and its really quite surprisingly good - nice looking car, for an estate, as well. And I am sure that the roads I drove on here are much worse than those in France, so it should be even smoother.

M.