Filter change tip - jlwah
Just thought I'd share a tip with those of you who regularly do their own oil & filter changes. (It may have been posted before, but I haven't checked).

If your car has an oil filter that points downwards, e.g. the open end is lower than the covered end, it is difficult to get the filter out without spilling the oil it contains around the engine bay.

My wife's Scenic has this type of filter orientation and having spent ages in the past trying to mop up the oil spillages, getting my hands & arms snagged on all the pipes and connectors, etc., etc., I thought about a solution.

Having initially loosened the filter with a socket strap I then placed the open end of a resealable food bag over the filter, ensuring that it covered the entire length of the filter all the way round. I also stuffed some kitchen roll between the bottom of the filter and the engine casing.

I was then able to quickly unscrew the filter through the bag and lift it out with barely a drop of oil spilled. Saved me ages of cleaning time & the scatched hands / arms!
Filter change tip - Xileno {P}
I used to have fun with a Citroen GS, the filter was upside down right on top of the engine.

Useful advice, thanks. Don't think I will ever have another GS though, most must have been scrapped by now.
Filter change tip - adverse camber
How about puncture the filter at its highest point so that the oil can drain back into the engine ?
Filter change tip - jlwah
Good point, but on the Scenic the filter is only inclined at about 30degs from the horizontal, so may take some while to drain back.
Also, it's not that easy to get something on the end of it to puncture the filter.

Have to say that the bag trick worked really well today!
Filter change tip - Cliff Pope
Would that be cleaned or dirty oil you were letting back into the engine?
Filter change tip - wemyss
Screwdrivers....Like the much vaunted tip if you ever have trouble gettinig the filter undone. Drive a large screwdriver through it and use it as a lever.
My own thoughts on that idea is what if it still wouldnt come undone.
Car stranded on the drive. ?.
Filter change tip - Will_375
I have a great tip on how to avoid making a big mess when changing the filter on these types of engine.

Initially drain the old engine oil out through the engine drain. Once the flow has turned in to the usual last few drips suggesting that the sump is drained start the engine for a couple of seconds ? make sure that is all you run it for as the only oil left in the system is what is left inside the old filter.

When you come to remove the old oil filter there is only a fraction on oil left inside it as you have literally pumped it all out ? which then exits the engine via the sump drain plug.

I am sure there are going to be people in this forum who say ?You can?t do that?!? I would like to just add that I learned this tip from a very experienced mechanic ? it has worked well for me for several years, and I have avoided the scratches on my arms and the big oily mess.
Filter change tip - wemyss
If it works for you Will thats fine but..I remember many decades ago in Practical Mechanics there were sometimes cases of someone draining the oil off and after refilling there was no oil pressure as the oil pump wasnt primed.
Never heard of it since so presume different designs in pumps etc. But at the time starting the engine when empty was one of the suggested causes.
I accept what you say if it really does work, but I am surprised. One the pump has run out of oil it won't develop any more pressure, so why will it pump out the filter?

Triumph Stags, and I think Rover V8s, had to have the oil pump primed when starting up after an overhaul, or if the sump had been left empty for too long. At worst that meant dropping the sump, removing the oil pump, packing with petroleum jelly, and then reassembling. The jelly gave something "solid" to pump against until it had drawn through some oil.
Filter change tip - Will_375
Quote:- I accept what you say if it really does work, but I am surprised. One the pump has run out of oil it won't develop any more pressure, so why will it pump out the filter?

From what I understand there is still some residual oil in the upper journals etc. Effectively by starting the engine for a couple of seconds the oil pump is shifting this oil through the systems and returning it to the sump. As the oil filter at this stage is still full of oil it replaces the oil in the upper journals as the pump is still able to generate pressure as it has something to react against ? if you let it carry on running the oil low pressure light would come on ? but I don?t like the thought of that as I know you have metal to metal contact in some parts of the engine at that point.

I have to admit the first time I was told about this tip I wasn?t that taken by it. However I gave it a try, and was impressed that the big sloppy mess when removing the old filter was reduced to mere dribble.

Quote:- If it works for you Will that?s fine but..I remember many decades ago in Practical Mechanics there were sometimes cases of someone draining the oil off and after refilling there was no oil pressure as the oil pump wasn?t primed.

I have never had a problem with the pump requiring priming after this action ? I guess the location within the oil system, and the efficiency of the pumps has improved over the years. Way back when I had a Renault 5 (those were the days!) it sometimes took a second or two for the oil pressure light to go out ? I put this down to the location of the oil pressure switch in the system, and the fact that it was 15W40 requiring a little more push through the bearing journals etc. It also proved to me that the oil pressure warning system did function correctly!

This tip may help some. Others may just choose to stick with the mess and clean-up operation. I found on my Clio 1.6RXE that there was no room to get a plastic bag round the filter as the exhaust manifold jutted out too far. On the new Scenic 1.9DCi that I have just serviced I could barley get my hand on to the filter!

Any feed-back welcome.
Filter change tip - MW
If the filter has a non-return valve, as many now do, no oil comes out anyway.
Filter change tip - The Gingerous One

Interesting reading this. I have a TR7 which desperately needs an oil change but whose sump plug is stuck fast (18 previous owners hans't helped things I guess)

One of the ideas suggested to me (other than drop the sump & sort the plug out) was to remove the oil filter, put a big bowl under the filter housing and start the engine.....this leading to all the oil being pumped up from the sump and out into the outside world. Obviously one would need to stand over the engine ready to pull the coil lead out once the oil was drained.

Filter is vertically aligned and is a spin-on one, so can refill that with fresh oil before starting.

thoughts, comments ???!

cheers,

Stu

Filter change tip - Xileno {P}
Sounds a bit risky to me, I would remove the sump and put a new plug in.
Filter change tip - Gromit {P}
Stu,

Why not use a vacuum pump to remove most of the oil (there's a thread running on them in parallel with this one) to remove as much as oil as possible before taking the filter off?

You can get quite cheap versions for boating suppliers that include a 5 litre can to collect the waste oil as you suck it out.

Should leave you with less mess to clean up, at least, after you've sorted the sump plug.

- Gromit
But surely if the oil is being pumped out through the missing filter, it isn't circulating round the engine? The filter is the first stage after the oil pump, not on the oils's return trip!
That sounds extremely silly. How long will it be running with no oil before the sump is emptied?
If it were me, I couldn't bear to live with it and not sort the plug out properly. Weld a bit of bar onto the stump?

Filter change tip - tr7v8
Don't do it you'll have no gallery oil pressure at all.
If you have a spin on oil filter thats a conversion and use CVH Ford ones.
Get it to a garage who can put it on a ramp and dril/chisel the old one out & get a new one from Robsport to replace it.

Jim
Filter change tip - Civic8
>>One of the ideas suggested to me (other than drop the sump & sort the plug out) was to remove the oil filter, put a big bowl under the filter housing and start the engine.....this leading to all the oil being pumped up from the sump and out into the outside world.

Now who dream`t that one up,

>>this leading to all the oil being pumped up from the sump and out into the outside world.

into the outside world is correct,unlikely it will be directed
in direction you wish

I don`t understand the reason for wanting all oil to be removed?,you cannot,a certain small amount remains??
--
Steve
Filter change tip - Claude
Stuck sump plug
I presume the corners of the plug have been rounded off as well. Machine Mart sell a set of Irwin bolt grips. This is a set of different size sockets but instead of the internal flutes being vertical they are reverse spiralled. Extremely effective in gripping a damaged bolt head. Invented by Snap-on whose own full set costs a couple of hundred pounds but Machine Mart sells a few of the most usual sizes for £23.44. There is also an add on set for about £19. Obviously they wont last as long as the Snap-on but very effective for the occasional job.
Filter change tip - Mondaywoe
Nothing to beat a Stilson wrench! I've got a couple of these in my toolkit and when all else has failed they seldom let me down.

Graeme
Filter change tip - jc
Formula1 used one of these sockets to remove a locking wheelnut that wouln't respond to the adaptor(they'd fitted it in the first place which is why I went back to them).Very effective and with the nut sunk into the wheel nothing else could get near.
Filter change tip - Claude
These sockets cut into all the flats whilst a stilson can only grip two. And as, Formula1 points out, a stilson cannot deal with a bolt head that is recessed. So clearly a stilson can be beat.
Filter change tip - The Gingerous One
I didn't try it in the end (and I have no idea if the oil filter is on the return trip of the oil or not!).

I painstakingly filed the sump plug back to a square then a smaller square so a brake adjust spanner would fit on it. Then it came undone, and fairly easily as well.

So no crazy antics with removing the filter and starting the engine required!!!