96 Rover 420SLDI Running problem - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hello to all,this is the first time I have posted on this site so you will have to bear with me,I hope you can help me in my quest to sort out the problem with my Rover Diesel.

My problem is this,when you are accelerating it suddenly dies,as if you have turned the ignition off,it can be in any gear,if I take my foot off the accelerator and put it back on the power comes back,when it does it if you press the pedal down further it just keeps dieing until you raise the pedal and depress it again then it runs fine again.It ticks over fine.

I have found it tends to do it around 1800 RPM onwards,if you raise the revs to around 3000-3500RPM you can feel the engine labouring,if you open the throttle quick there is less chance of it doing it.I have replaced the MAF sensor which helped with the general performance of the car but the fault is still there,I have also changed the fuel filter,the Throttle position sensor,the EGR valve and checked the air cleaner,I have visually checked the pipes to the turbo and made sure the wastegate isn't sticking.Has anyone got any thoughts on this as it is annoying.When it is running fine,which is most of the time it is great,returning 52MPG.
Thanks in advance Andrew...
96 Rover 420SLDI Running problem - Xileno {P}
Issues relating to bad running of the L Series diesel have been covered before. Do a Forum Search. IIRC one issue was an electrical connector on the bulkhead that is fitted upside down, allowing moisture to sit on the connectors and eventually turn them green. Another issue was that the intercooler pipe can weaken and cave in under suction, causing a severe loss of power. You can't see this problem unless the engine is under load, so a visual inspection won't pick it up.

These engines can really fly when running properly.

Hope this helps...
96 Rover 420SLDI Running problem - 420 Turbo Diesel
Thanks mate for your supplied info,i will check into it,i took your advice and did a search,it returned over 100 results,but I couldn't find anything relating to my exact problem,so if anyone else has any ideas it really will be helpfull.
Thanks Andrew...
Rover 42 SLDI Brake light switch adjustm - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi,I am trying to track down the fault with my Rover (see ealier post)I am lead to believe that if the brake light switch isn't adjusted correctly and is allowing the lights to come on when they shouldn't this could cause my engine to die.I have just been through 110 pages of previous postings and cannot find any info on how it should be adjusted correctly,can anyone tell me how to do this please?
Thanks Andrew...

{Moved, as related to your earlier post. DD}
Rover 42 SLDI Brake light switch adjustm - Civic8
No,as a poster mentioned, turbo pipe collapse will cause it.not always seen from outside but pipe can collapse from inside,giving same effect as pipe adrift from inlet mounting-as I suffered a little while ago.
to answer brake switch,its mounted above pedal but have you a problem with brake lights coming on when pedal not pressed?

suspect this will be added to previous thread {you suspect correctly steve ;o) DD}
--
Steve
Rover 42 SLDI Brake light switch adjustm - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi chaps,
I just wanted to bring you up to date with my earlier running problems,they were all down to my brakelights coming on.I checked the pedal adjustment and the lights were coming on with the slightest pressure on the pedal,it was adjusted so the lights would sometimes flicker when driving along.I adjusted the switch so the pedal needs more movement to bring the lights on.For those of you that don't know,when the brakelight pedal is pressed on Rovers with the "L" series engine the fuel is cut to the pump.
Thanks Andrew...
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!