pug 205 - pull to right on braking - seabreeze
Hi. I had the front calipers and pads changed 3k ago, and previously 8k ago the front shocks done. Recently the steering has begun pulling to the right under moderate braking. Had brakes checked on rolling road and are ok with 4% difference. Any clues as to where problem may lie? Thanks very much.
pug 205 - pull to right on braking - sierraman
If it only pulls when you brake it must be the brakes whatever the test result is,there is no other explanation.I would give the left caliper a good clean and see if the piston is moving freely.
Thanks for reply. The only other possible is something moving on the suspension or steering, or imbalance on rear brakes. I had the rear brake cylinders and shoes changed at same time as the front, but couldn't get the adjusters to work. My mechanic said they never work anyway, so simply adjusted up as far as they would go at that time.
pug 205 - pull to right on braking - pug3
The rear brakes could be the problem.
I had a car that began to pull to the right under braking. I could not find any problem with the front brakes or suspension and it was by chance that I removed the rear brake drums and found a wheel cylinder was leaking fluid on one side.After replacing the brake cylinder and fitting new brake shoes the brakes were fine.
As you mentioned the problem could be the rear brake adjustment is not equal.
Hi pug3, thanks for reply. Found rear offside wheel is binding, turns but only just, nearside ok, not handbrake adjustment. Have arranged for mechanic I use to help look at it as can't easily get hubnut off and back on again. Hope problem then clearer when hub off.
pug 205 - pull to right on braking - Civic8
none of the rear brakes should be binding.this should have been checked during inspection,any adjustment should be checked before car is given back to you,suggests the your mech poss made a mistake
--
Steve
Found that rear brake binding due to problems with handbrake cable, damage to outer and corrosion causing inner to stick. Temporarily repaired and brake now free but car still pulls to right as before. Will get it checked by mechanic.
pug 205 - pull to right on braking - jc
I doubt this is your problem but on one of my cars,pulling was caused by one of the front wheels having a different offset,it was a Capri wheel not a Cortina and had a 1/2" different offset but looked the same.
pug 205 - pull to right on braking - jimothy
My 205 did the same and it was to do with the handbrake sticking on the rear drum. You can tell if it is this if you park the car overnight with the handbrake on full. Then if you reverse in the morning (having taken the handbrake off of course) there is a big sort of 'thump' from the back wheel and you feel the car kind of lurch slightly.

I think its ok, but I know what you mean, this used to happen a while ago before changing shoes/cylinders. I live very near the sea and air always salty, which probably exacerbates due to corrosion build up inside drums etc as car sometimes not used for several days. Advice on another forum suggested flexible hose at front, and I have discovered a twist on the offside one, which causes the hose to rub on the tyre when near full lock to the left, so could be that. Am getting bushes checked today by mechanic so hopefully will discover reason.
pug 205 - pull to right on braking - neil
Front lower arm bushes... 'wishbone' bushes - are a favourite on these and ZXs... and they give accelleration/over-run or braking steering. Could well be that - and if it is, new bottom arms are cheaper than replacing the bushes because they're absolute swine to get out...! Not dear, either way.