Best seats?? - big_dog
What in anyones opinion are the best seats ever put into a mass produced car?? (That can still be purchased and used day to day today e.g no 30 year old renaults)

The swedish and french cars all seem to get good reviews.

Is it wise to steer clear of german seats?
Best seats?? - dodo
Ford Focus C Max Ghia. Amazingly comfortable seats. Yes the seats in my 1968 Renault 10 in the garage are still NO 1.
Best seats?? - pafosman
Transit - oh OK its not a car, but nevertheless.....I love them.

papho
Best seats?? - NowWheels
Yes the seats in my 1968 Renault 10 in the garage are still NO 1.

My vote goes to the Renault 16, but if you really want to consider only cars still on the road, 1980s Renaults hadn't lost their magic. It was some time later on that Renault decided to become like the Germans and make hard suspension and hard seats.
Best seats?? - big_dog
Seems like the french cars such as a renault 25 are a good bet.

Any views on a volvo 480?? Always been drawn to their quirky styling. Good seats could swing it for me.
Best seats?? - Xileno {P}
Of the old cars, Renault 30 or Peugeot 604.
Of current cars, I like Saabs or Volvos. VW seats quite nice. Modern Renaults are quite firm but still very comfortable with lots of adjustments. Probably better for your back as well, and maybe better in a crash as you're held in firmer.
Best seats?? - $till $kint
I rate the seats in the Alfa 156 but the best I've tried belong to the Saab 9-3. The Alfa seats nicely support the lower back but can leave you craning forward slightly at the neck, whereas the Saab seats cradle your whole spine without being intrusive as some supportive seats can be.
Best seats?? - sierraman
Renault 20 had comfortable seats,probably same as 30 mentioned.I recall the 2cv had some sort of deck chair that was suprisingly good to sit in,unlike the car itself.
Best seats?? - patently
whereas the Saab seats cradle your whole
spine without being intrusive as some supportive seats can be.

Have they changed that stupid headrest then? The one that was the shape of an inverted 'U' and fitted over the top of the seat?

It always sat too far forward - Mrs P got into a 900, sat down, said 'no', and got out.
Best seats?? - $till $kint
I don't recall the head restraint being intrusive Patently, but then I'm so short that it sits above my head.....
Best seats?? - commerdriver
whereas the Saab seats cradle your whole
>> spine without being intrusive as some supportive seats can be.
>>
Have they changed that stupid headrest then? The one that
was the shape of an inverted 'U' and fitted over the
top of the seat?
It always sat too far forward - Mrs P got into
a 900, sat down, said 'no', and got out.

Interesting as Mrs Commer has never liked the headrest on my current 93 hatch but accepted them in the cause of safety. However I have just had a new 93 saloon for a weekend test and she reckoned the seats were the most comfortable of the cars I tested (A4, accord, x-type, Avensis). I find the seats on both old & new very comfortable.
For that & other reasons I now plan to order a new 93 saloon in the next couple of weeks (unless the C class next weekend is something special)
Best seats?? - patently
Sorry, must disagree with the comments on German seats. The best I've ever tried have been BMW sports seats. Ignore the "sporty cornering" rubbish - they are the most comfortable I have sat in.
Best seats?? (is weight an issue?) - NowWheels
When it comes to seats is there perhaps a size divide? (possibly related to gender)

It seems to me that a person topping 15 stone will need a much firmer seat than someone under 10st, but car seats are a one-size-fits-all issue. As someone on the lighter end of the scale, I do sometimes wonder if the seats which I find hard and unyielding have actually been designed for a much heavier body.
Best seats?? (is weight an issue?) - patently
NW - Those of a larger girth also find sports seats uncomfortable, as they cannot fit between the bolsters.
Best seats?? (is weight an issue?) - trancer
Another vote for BMW sport seats, assuming those are the ones fitted to sport spec 3 series. Before I got in the car I was expecting to find them uncomfortable as I am one of those "larger girth" types and the backrest side bolsters looked a bit tight, but I was very impressed once I tried them though. The extra thigh-support adjustment was an unexpected treat.

A 3 series is now at the top of my list as a replacement car and while I can't stretch the budget to a sport model, I will be actively pursuing sport seats (and steering wheel) as a modification should I purchase the car.
Best seats?? (is weight an issue?) - Andy P
The seats in my Accord Type S are superb - one review put them on a par with Volvo/Saab who are reknown for seat design.

From Car's long-term Tourer:

"For
Engine gets better; seats are wonderfully comfortable; hands-free phone a boon."

From FastSalooons.com:

"Interior
First impressions from inside the car are great seats. The part-leather seats are some of the best I have sat in both for initial feel and also after a longer journey. They are supportive, and sporty, as you feel clamped in it by the wrap around sides."

Andy
Best seats?? (is weight an issue?) - Collos25
Renault Vel Satis
Best seats?? (is weight an issue?) - SlightlyFatRep
Yep, the Vel Satis is v.comfy. Mind you when you calculate how much money youv'e lost on one you need to sit down for a while!

AutoExpress did a reveiw on this a while ago I think. Volvo S60 won. I get verycomfortable in mine and great for long trips. Far better than my older Mondeo. It seems that the seat base is longer giving supprot to all of your thigh rather than just part of it. WHIPS anti whiplash protection and decent head rest a bonus.
Best seats?? - turbo11
Audi A8 seat is the most comfortable of any car i have yet driven(100+)
Best seats?? - cumfray1
Best seats IMO go to the SAAB 9000. Couldn't fault the ones in my old 9000 especially as they were heated, just couldn't beat them in winter.
Best seats?? - nutty_nissan
I'm over 6 ft and find that most executive and luxury cars have good seats for me. Have to say that I just got a Volvo S80, and that seat is pretty top notch.

Funny thing about the Lexus LS400 I had was watching much smaller people sit in the passenger seat. Being a car designed for large to very large Americans, I didn't find an issue. My mate who was 5 ft 1 tall with a very small frame, was sliding around all over the place at every corner. (No I wasn't driving like a hooligan!).
Best seats?? - trancer
I had previously heard about Volvo S60 seats being some of the best in the business, but the bottom edge of the headrest jabbed me right between the shoulder blades and either it couldn't be raised or I couldn't raise it so that strikes it off my comfy seat list. Rest of the car was very nice though.
Best seats?? - tack
I find French seats much more comfy than German ones. The French ones are like armchairs and you tend to sit in them, whereas the Teutonic ones feel harder and you sit ON them. But, I have to say that the most comfy seat I sats in was in the new shaped Volvo S40 and a Volvo S80.

Best seats?? - Wales Forester
I agree with the Volvo votes, S60 in particular, the front seats are very comfy but at the same time offer support and are very adjustable. Like sitting in an armchair...
Best seats?? - Avant
Most comfortable:

1955 Austin A50
1968 Triumph 1300
1980 Renault 20TS
1998 Renault Laguna V6
2004 Audi A4 - the sports seats are worth the £500 extra: SWMBO, harder to please than I am, is at last comfortable.

Saabs have very good seats, but the last one I tried has some peculiar relationship between seat and steering wheel such that if the wheel was in the right position there was hardly room for your knees between the bottom of the wheel and the front of the seat cushion. I find that with Vauxhalls too.

Least comfortable:

Sit-up-and beg Ford Anglia / Popular
Old Mini
Chrysler Horizon (no lumbar support at all)
Jaguar X-type - terrible flat, short cushion