Vauxhall Corsa - Can't Get Drum Off! - bigfoot
Hi Everyone

I have the rear binding brake issue on a Corsa that all Vauxhalls seem to suffer from. I have a high pitched squeeling from the left rear and a deep rumble when applying brake pressure.

This was supposedly sorted out by my local garage six months ago, but the car is now parked 20 miles away and I do not want to drive it that far in its current condition.

I want to open up the rear drums and try to clean out the dust and rust and give everything a good rub down with emery cloth but have fallen at the first hurdle.. I can't get the drum off to access the shoes!!

Can anyone please help, because this whole business is driving me up the wall

Thanks for any help,,

BF

Vauxhall Corsa - Can't Get Drum Off! - Dynamic Dave
You need to slacken off the brake shoes by twiddling the self adjusting mechanism. IIRC, there should be a small access hole in the front face of the drum where you can insert a screwdriver to slacken off the adjuster. If no hole in the front, remove the rubber plug from the inspection hole behind the hub and push the handbrake operating lever towards the shoes which moves the shoes away from the drum.
Vauxhall Corsa - Can't Get Drum Off! - Civic8
fair bit of perseverence is needed on drums like that,use a large screwdriver(flathead)or bar with a flat end to get between backplate and drum.force the drum away from backplate with driver-then using a copperhead hammer whack the opposite side of drum on the flat,this should drive it slowly off the shoes.Bear in mind when the shoes do release from drum they jump out of alignment.
depending on how bad the lip is,would suggest using a round file to remove the lip.If its bad would suggest a new set of drums
--
Steve
Vauxhall Corsa - Can't Get Drum Off! - Civic8
Beat me to it DD but if that fails as I said above
--
Steve
I agree Steve. I've known people who have had to physically break the drum to remove it.
Vauxhall Corsa - Can't Get Drum Off! - sierraman
Isn't the access hole in the backplate?It is on most cars,usually with a rubber bung in it.
Thanks for your help guys

There are no holes or access points of the front of the drum as you look at it after removing the wheel apart from at the very center which im told is the bearing, there is a cap and when I take it off I can see the end of a steal rod with a sort of brass pin arrangement at the end.

Aaah,I think we all thought you meant it was stuck on,not that you did not know how it comes off.It is a one piece drum i.e.you have to undo the bearing.The 'brass pin arrangement'will be the split pin,remove the split pin,undo the nut and the drum should come off.Watch out for part of the bearing falling out,if it gets dirt in it it must be cleaned and re-greased.On reassembly it may need adjusting,not sure if these are taper or plain,no doubt someone will know.Also use a new split pin.
not sure if these are taper or plain,no doubt someone will know.

If you have to undo the hub nut to remove the drum, then more than likely it'll be taper roller bearings. On reassembly you have to tighten the nut to a certain torque setting (can't remember the value but this seats the bearing) then undo the nut again and finally tighten finger tight only.
Vauxhall Corsa - Can't Get Drum Off! - Chris M
"There are no holes or access points of the front of the drum as you look at it after removing the wheel apart from at the very center which im told is the bearing, there is a cap and when I take it off I can see the end of a steal rod with a sort of brass pin arrangement at the end."

Sorry, but from your description above, you are a beginner when it comes to DIY car repairs. I think you should be very carefull and make sure you are not working beyond your limits. Overtightened taper bearings have a tendancy to seize, with potentially dangerous consequences.

I know we all have to start somewhere, but brakes and bearings aren't for beginners.

Chris M
Thanks for all your help, yep this definately seems to be getting a bit beyond me - I thought it would be a case of quickly whipping the wheel off undoing a couple of nuts and then just cleaning up everything..

Thanks again
>> not sure if these are taper or plain,no doubt someone
will know.
If you have to undo the hub nut to remove the
drum, then more than likely it'll be taper roller bearings. On
reassembly you have to tighten the nut to a certain torque
setting (can't remember the value but this seats the bearing) then
undo the nut again and finally tighten finger tight only.

I've come across some that are plain,just torque them up instead of adjusting to remove play.

'I know we all have to start somewhere, but brakes and bearings aren't for beginners.'

Have to agree.