Citroen - John Davis
Could someone advise please ? A Colleague plans to buy an MPV and, because of the ride and suspension qualities of his old BX Citroen, he is considerting either the Citroen Synergye or the Picasso. The Synergye (I think) shares it's body design with Peugeot (806) and the Fiat Ulysse so, does the Synergye still have Citroen's renowned and unique suspension system and, is it adjustable, ie, for height as the BX was ? Also, does the Picasso have the traditional Citroen suspension ? Any advice/comment much appreciated.
Re: Citroen - ROBIN
NO theyre both Peugeots underneath.
Re: Citroen - Paul F
John,
As the others' have said, the Synergie does not have hydraulic suspension, but it does ride well - particularly when loaded.
We've had our Synergie for 5 years and it's been a totally reliable vehicle, good to drive, comfortable and cheap to run. It's also easy to park, unlike many other MPVs.
We bought ours with two long- legged teenagers in mind and the constant need to fill the boot with all manner of objects (renovated furniture,self catering holidays boot sales and lots of fishing to name but few). For this,the car is perfect.
Watch out for depreciation though, as in all MPVs it's a bit steep, so a second hand one might be a good idea (although I haven't seen many on te forecourts). Bearing in mind that the replacement is on the horizon (Citroen C7) you might be able to pick up a good deal on the current model - go for the HDI diesel - it's very good!
Re: Citroen - ladas are slow
why does he need a MPV, does he really need 6-8 seats. if he only wants a MPV for the space, then go for a citroen C5 estate, as that has the adjustable suspension.
Re: Citroen - ROBIN
And a spectacularly better vehicle to boot.
Re: Citroen - Darcy Kitchin
The Picasso and Synergie are in different markets. The Synergie is a 7 seater with easily removable seats and not much luggage space dating back to '95; the Picasso is a 5 seater with lots of stowage space and a reasonable boot introduced in 2000. The Picasso is of a different generation and a different proposition entirely to the Synergie.

BTW if any car needed self-levelling or (better) the roll-control suspension of the Activa, it's the Synergie. Also a bl**dy big V6 motor wouldn't come amiss.

I own a Synergie and would be pleased to help further by e-mail.
Re: Citroen - John Davis
Thanks to all for your comments and to Darcy for the offered email help. I assume that both these vehicles have "conventional" suspension and lack the superiority (re suspension) of, say the C5.
Re: Citroen - tony
Any thoughts about buying the C5 2.0 petrol saloon?
Re: Citroen - David W
I have wondered how costly this Citroen central hydraulic power system is to produce. It seems they have it well sorted from the design point of view so I guess the reason for leaving it off the people carriers (and the Xsara etc) must be on cost grounds.

If they did fit it to the Synergie that would put them in a class of their own for ride comfort.

David
Re: Citroen - Darcy Kitchin
Ever thought of going into low volume car manufacture, David?
Re: Citroen - David W
Actually Darcy as I fitted the rear body and hardtop to the Land Rover chassis at the weekend I felt as if I was doing just that.

My eye did fall to the spare LR in the yard and then a BX for breaking. Now a Land Rover with Citroen suspension....where's my tape measure?

David
Re: Citroen C5 - Marcus
Go for the HDI 2.2 - 136 BHP model - this is a fantastic engine - can you stand the looks ? - like a trout when viewed from the front - but obviously you won't be looking at the outside very much !
Re: Citroen - John Davis
I think David is right, ie, cost must be the inhibiting factor for including the renowned Citroen suspension system into the spec of the MPV type of vehicle.
If any vehicle needed variable suspension then, I think MPV's require it because of the wide range of loadings.
Re: Citroen - Honest John
The 2.0 C5 is the most fun or all the C5s to drive. But simply no point in buying a C5 saloon. The estate is the version that really holds its head up in the class, and Citroen is now doing 1.8LX estates for £14,995 after a cashback.

HJ
citroen C5 test drive. - ladas are slow
we took a 24 hour test drive in the citroen C5 automatic 2.0 litre (the main reason was because you got a £15 marks and spencer voucher, plus we were allowed a 24 hour test because we have always serviced the BX at the citroen dealer, and they know that we might be buying a replacement soon), the ride was brilliant, plus it was very roomy, but the only time that we could buy it, is when its about 10 years old, and under £1000.