Wheels on my wagon - Thommo
Blew a rear tyre today. Where it blew I could not stop and definitely could not change the wheel without certain death so had to drive about 1 mile on the flat tyre and shredded it.

Now the tyre was nearly new, say 500 miles. The other tyre looks pristine but I was always taught you have to replace both tyres on an axle no matter what.

Should I do the one or is it too damn dangerous and should I just suck it up.

In that case recommendations for cheap quality tyre places in around Guildford...
Wheels on my wagon - Adam {P}
I thought you only had to change both tyres if they were different types on the same axle?

Put it this way, of the 3 punctures I've had, only the punctured tyre has been replaced.

No detrimental effects so far.
Wheels on my wagon - Thommo
Adam,

Puncture repair is fine. The two tyres still have the same level of wear. This tyre must be replaced so I would have one tyre in a newer condition than the other, Thats what I always thought was a no no.
Wheels on my wagon - Adam {P}
That's what I mean Thommo.

I had a puncture in the Focus last year when the tyres were about 6 months old. The new puncture replacement was brand new tyre and the old one was more worn.

Given the amount of abuse my car takes on the twisties, I'm not about to change the practice anytime soon unless this thread turns something up.
Wheels on my wagon - mfarrow
After 500 miles I doubt the tyre tread will have worn down at all, so if you want to waste money, replace both. Otherwise just buy the one.

The only rule regarding tyre safety is that you can't mix radial and cross-ply tyres on the same axle. But you can't buy cross-ply any more so this doesn't apply.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Wheels on my wagon - L'escargot
<< But you
can't buy cross-ply any more

Not according to Longstone Tyres .... www.longstonetyres.co.uk/Crossply.php

--
L\'escargot.
Wheels on my wagon - R75
You are not allowed to mix radial and cross ply tyres on the same axle, but apart from that (might be difficult to get x-ply now anyway) you can mix makes etc on an axle. Depends what the car is, if it is a high performance car then I would not want to mix tyres on an axle, but if it is only a family type car then it dosent bother me. I have mixed pairs on the Laguna but on the Honda they are matched. If the tyres are only 500 miles old can you not get another one to match? 500 miles is no real distance on a set now.
Wheels on my wagon - mjm
If the tyre was that new, and it blew without "provocation", I would be tempted to go back to the supplier and get the other one checked, just in case it is part of a faulty batch. Better safe than sorry.
Wheels on my wagon - Sofa Spud
I've never heard the suggestion that both tyres on an 'axle' need to be replaced if one is damaged. As long as the replacement tyre is of a similar type to the remaining tyre and the difference in wear is not too great I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sure tyre centres would be only too happy if customers thought they needed to replace two tyres when one only one needed doing!

What IS definitely true is that you should never replace brake pads or brake shoes on one side only.
Wheels on my wagon - Andy P
The only time I've heard of this is on 4x4s, where you have to replace tyres in pairs if the tread varies across the axle by a certain amount (forget what). Otherwise it damages the differential (or something like that).

Andy
Wheels on my wagon - wemyss
Not directly applicable to the question, and I?m sure you have no need whatsoever to change the other tyre, but a few years ago a recovery breakdown man who works for a local garage was telling me the story of when he worked for either BMW or Mercedes I just forget which one.
They had a car in with auto gearbox problems. It was changing gear erratically especially on roundabouts.
They spent much time on it with no success and finally rang the manufacturers technical department.
The immediate reply was has the owner changed one of the tyres recently. The Garageman said what has that to do with it
"It?s a problem we know about, if a tyre has a greater circumference of X mm to the other driving wheel the autogearbox gets confused was the answer."
The garage was sceptical but changing the tyres round to get the best match cured the problem immediately.
Wheels on my wagon - L'escargot
Assuming that the other (pristine) tyre had also only done 500 miles it will hardly have had the little bobbles (excess bits of rubber) worn off and should be "as-new". Just replace the damaged tyre. I personally wouldn't replace any serviceable tyre until the tread depth indicated the need for change.
--
L\'escargot.