Audi 80 1995 2.0E ABK, Is it my clutch? - mak
Hope you can help.
During a journey I noticed a metallic knocking noise at consistant regularity whilst slowing down, in gear, for a junction and also when pulling away in low gears but disappeared when in top gear. This noise also disappeared when the clutch pedal was depressed. It only happens during a journey, not from cold. The clutch is hydraulic. The gear change is fine and the car pulls OK.
Is it possible that the release bearing lever is knocking on the slave cylinder rod? And if so, what does this mean?
I have looked underneath the car and everything seems OK although it is a noise that sounds like a heat shield knocking but found nothing amiss.
I have convinced myself it is the clutch and was wondering if this is an early warning.
Any advise is much appreciated as getting desperate.
Many thanks,
Martin
Audi 80 1995 2.0E ABK, Is it my clutch? - MGspannerman
I had a knocking noise coming from the front end of my old audi, 94M A6, and I think it was a driveshaft. It was not a loud knock but noticeable and clearly related to things going round, if you follow me. Is the noise connected with the transmission being under load when pulling away/slowing down for example but not when coasting? If so I would rather suspect a driveshaft or maybe on the offchance a wheel bearing. Try driving slowly in a very tight circle on both left and right lock and see if you can hear a more pronounced knock, if so almost certianly driveshaft/universal joint. My car had done 134k on the original clutch when I sold it and it was still very sound indeed with no trace of slip.

Good luck, MGs