Golf MkIV - Cuts out when engine is hot - stuartB
Hi,

I've had this problem for ages, and I may have even posted here before I can't remember :-)

So, the problem is - my car cuts out (when I pull up at lights or a junction) when the engine is hot. By hot I mean having driven on a motorway/dual carriageway for some time or having been sat in traffic for a while.

Now initially it was misfiring, so I replaced the plugs, HT leads and this weekend the ignition coil. It now runs a lot cleaner but this problem still exists...

I am reluctant to go to the VW dealer (wanted 90 quid to change the leads!) - so I am wondering if anyone else has come across this problem - and if you did what you did to fix it?

thanks.
Golf MkIV - Cuts out when engine is hot - HarlequinVW
It might be worth cleaning the throttle body internally, if it's dirty. Then switch the ignition on for 2 mins without starting the engine and the throttle body will re-calibrate itself, it will make high pitched whine while it's doing it.
Golf MkIV - Cuts out when engine is hot - Ian J
I agree with previous suggestion to clean throttle body. It worked for my wife's golf when she was experiencing intermittent engine cut outs.
Golf MkIV - Cuts out when engine is hot - stuartB
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies - strange I wandered over to another net forum and they suggested exactly the same thing!

On a "haynes scale" of 1 - 5 spanners what are we looking at here?

I am a 2.5 er really :-)))