MOT'S under the new system - The Whiteknight
Hi just wondered if anyone know's with this new computerised mot system if retest's are still free ( within 7 days ) or if you charged the full fee if retested for a failure ?

Many Thanks
MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - AngryJonny
As I understand it there's now no such thing as a free retest.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - martint123
There has never been a "free retest" it is up to the garage what they charge.

However, if it one of the items that officially needs a full test doing then the computer will expect them to take that amount of time to do it rather than just having a check of the repair as (unofficially) happens most of the time under the old scheme.

If the vehicle stays at the test station for repair you must carry out a partial re-examination of all the failed items including those affected by the repair.
If the vehicle leaves the test station having only failed on one or more of the items listed on the fees and appeals poster and is returned before the end of the next working day - carry out a
partial examination.
In any other case a full examination must be carried out.

MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - commerdriver
Dont know how they worked it but just had our old Golf tested, failed for a couple of minor bits of corrosion, work done & retested, all at the same place without leaving, for a single test fee plus the agreed cost of the work. So it would seem the "free" retest is not dead in all circumstances.
MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - Steptoe
My local garage proprietor, who I have high regards for, in reply to this very question, said "not at the moment, but if I lose money through the retests, then yes"

I took this to mean that he is looking for a loophole

MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - Steptoe
Sorry, should have read the question before answering it, I meant that he never charged for retests up to now despite being computerised.
MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - defender
some garages are doing free pre mot checks on the basics giving time to fix any faults before going near the computer.in effect they are checking twice as the mot is carried out in the normal way,good trade for them and saves the hassle of logging on twice.
MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - adverse camber
Also cost effective. I know that the computer seems to insist on a minimum amount of time being spent on the mot, one local garage now only does 8 mot's a day as a result. A competitor not yet computerised is still putting them through at a rapid rate. When the comp insists on a full retest for minor things, there is a lot of time being taken for simple stuff.
MOT'S UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM - nick
I think this is right. I had a chat with the guy at the place I go to, a small local independant. Very acommodating, flexible and fair. The system does indeed insist on a minimum time for a test and the same for a retest so the quick look to see that a new balljoint has been fitted is gone. He is going to have to charge for retests as he cannot do more than so many tests a day whereas now a quick look or a brake check suffices. The price will go up (currently £30 with free retest) for no gain in safety.