Fuel price increases - L'escargot
In a perverse sort of way perhaps we should be grateful that petrol and diesel are so heavily taxed! After all, it means that oil price increases make a relatively small percentage difference to the price of petrol and diesel at the pumps. The price of my heating oil has gone up a staggering 45% in the last 9 months!

--
L\'escargot.
Fuel price increases - J Bonington Jagworth
I hope this doesn't mean you are suggesting they tax heating oil? :-)

About time aviation fuel went up, though.
Fuel price increases - helicopter
About time aviation fuel went up, though -

Can you explain your reasons for saying that jbj when all that will happen is that the airlines will pass the cost on to the customer ie you and me?

Fuel price increases - BazzaBear {P}
About time aviation fuel went up, though -
Can you explain your reasons for saying that jbj when all
that will happen is that the airlines will pass the cost
on to the customer ie you and me?

Probably because he flies a hell of a lot less than he drives, and theoretically (VERY theoretically) putting some of the tax burden on flying would allow them to reduce it on other things.

In a similar way, I'm happy for them to tax tabacco as much as they like ;)
Fuel price increases - J Bonington Jagworth
"Can you explain your reasons..?"

Only that it seems rather inequitable that the most polluting form of transport (high-altitude flying) uses the cheapest fuel.

The remark was partly prompted by the forecast aired on R4 that if air traffic carried on increasing at its present rate, the emissions could only be balanced by the reduction to zero of all other inputs! I daresay that's open to argument, but it crystallised the problem quite nicely, I thought.
Fuel price increases - L'escargot
I hope this doesn't mean you are suggesting they tax heating
oil? :-)

Definitely not! We have neither gas nor mains drainage, and are probably never likely to have.
--
L\'escargot.