Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lack - Alan W
I have a 2000 accord 1.8SE. I have a light pinking sound that happens in any gear, accelerating or cruising, intermittently. I also have lack of power sometimes when pulling off in first (gets bogged down for a few seconds then accelerates OK). Other times the car runs fine. Fuel economy is terrible though, now I only get about 26MPG combined, and 32 on a run (used to get 38+ before noise started.
Anyone else got similar problems?
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - David Lacey
I would book it into a dealer and get it sorted ASAP.

Are there any warning lights on?
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - Alan W
It's been back to the dealer a few times. They've adjusted valve clearances so far. They say they know of one other with a similar "problem", but as yet will not admit it is a problem, more a strange characteristic. I have tried to get them to change the ECU, as that was their first suggestion, but as yet, they haven't done that. I also get a metallic sound on acceleration, which I think is an exhaust baffle, but they don't seem to interested in doing anything about that other than agreeing with me that it may be what it is.
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - David W
Didn't someone think this could be a broken up cat part blocking the exhaust last time we had a similar query.

Pinking should never be heard in modern cars. It's an MGB thing.

David
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - Rich
My 1999 Accord 1.8 auto also suffered pinking. Valve clearances, new O2 sensorx2, knock sensor, ECU, pistons, head and finally engine block! Seems OK now, for 4 months anyway.

The tyre/road noise is also too high and the auto box whines between about 1500 and 2000rpm (other complaints of this seen). Three of the five seatbelts also replaced due to cracked plastic trims and the 'known problem' driver's door rattle needs to be sorted out yet. It also gets bogged down for a second or so when pulling away from rest, but only once when cold.

Dealer very good however.

Rich
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - El Dingo (Martin)
Does LAC know about 'Power Lac'? :-)

(Sorry, I can't help being silly sometimes...)

Martin.
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - Dan J
Symptoms sound similar to when my mother's Granada 2.0i ECU packed up and went into "limp-home" mode. Guess this would have shown up when the dealer tested it though?
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - Netpilot
Try another dealer - my local one's been good re warranty. Replaced fog lights with condensation and complete gearbox without a whimper. It's not their money though.
I've got a resonating noise at 2,500rpm on mine. It's going in next week for a new exhaust (s) - ideal timing with 6 months warranty left. :-)

Adjust valve clearances? Isn't this all automatic hydraulic tappets these days?

It's an Accord Type R btw and does either mid 30s mpg or low teens.... hehe

Cheers
Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - David Lacey
Yep, my thoughts exactly - another dealer.....

Take your servicing there if they come up trumps.

One's loss is another's gain.

David
Re: Honda Accord "Pinking" and Power Lac - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Had similar problems which turned out to be a kink in the vacuum hose going to the MAP sensor on the bulkhead holding a vacuum after the throttle opened again leading to over advanced timing.