Engine Killer?! - 007
I have just read a recent post in which the writer said "Not using the revs is the biggest killer of an engine".

He *may* have been talking about diesel engines but does this apply to petrol engines too....and if so, why?
Engine Killer?! - Civic8
No engine should be laboured ie used in a gear it is not able to run smoothly in,You would know this because the engine tends to vibrate/shudder the car/because of undue stress put on it.in severe cases it will stall.This may cause severe damage to engine components, especially lower engine/main bearings/big end bearings/small end-bearing between piston and connecting rod, Applies to both Diesel and petrol
--
Steve
Engine Killer?! - Adam {P}
I think the other reason is that something with the piston doohickeys bed themselves in or don't stretch or something because the engine isn't being let loose for a run around the park.

Either way, driving the car without touching 4,000 revs ever would be bad for a car. The Technical explanation follows...
--
Adam
Engine Killer?! - mfarrow
I think the other reason is that something with the piston
doohickeys bed themselves in or don't stretch or something because the
engine isn't being let loose for a run around the park.

Well (semi-)remembered, I think.

Engines in general wear their bores at the top of the stroke. This creates a 'step' at the top of the cylinder. At higher rpm the pistons 'stretch' everso slightly further into the top of the cylinder. Thus if the engine has never been revved hard, and subsequently is, the piston rings would be pushing onto the 'step' which would cause undue stress in both them and big/little end components.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Engine Killer?! - sierraman
'Engines in general wear their bores at the top of the stroke.'

More correctly the whole bore wears,the step is caused by the rings not reaching that part of the bore
Engine Killer?! - 007
Thanks for that, Steve.

Whilst on this subject, perhaps you would care to comment on a query which I (with Jazz) and a friend (with Civic) have regarding the guide which Honda give in their handbook, i.e, not to change into 4th gear until you reach 37mph.

One *could* take this to mean that one should never get out of 3rd gear in built-up areas (where most of our motoring is done) ...which to me seems very strange especially as engine sounds and feels quite happy at 30mpg on level ground.

Engine Killer?! - cumfray1
When I sat my car test (93) my instructor told me that by 30mph I should be in 4th gear whether in built up areas or in open road as it helped the engine. My wife sat her test last year and was told the same.
Engine Killer?! - Altea Ego
When I sat my car test (93) my instructor told me
that by 30mph I should be in 4th gear whether in
built up areas or in open road as it helped the
engine. My wife sat her test last year and was told
the same.

err no, wrong in both cases. 30 mph is too slow for 4th in most cars.,
Engine Killer?! - Number_Cruncher
In older rear wheel drive cars there was a good reason to get into fourth gear. Fourth gear used to be direct drive - the gearbox became effectivly a solid through shaft. There was a small efficiency gain to be had, and a reasonable reduction in noise if your gearbox was worn. Anyone who had a late 70's Ford will be able to remember how much quieter their cars were in fourth!

Older cars also tended to be geared lower.

The advice to get into fourth at 30 is simply outdated. I find it funny to sit in with people who insist on making their car struggle along almost stalling, doing 30 in fourth.

There is nothing special about fourth gear in most modern front wheel drive cars. There is no direct path through the gearbox - all gears are indirect.

Whatever speed you are doing, you should pick an appropriate gear. In town, at 30, I would suggest that flexibility is more important than making sure that your engine is doing the minimum number of revs per minute without it stalling!

Number_Cruncher
Engine Killer?! - cumfray1
Being younger and needing my licence I went along with it, but needless to say like most people, soon as I had my licence I adapted my own driving technique. In most built up areas these days your lucky to get to 30 never mind 3rd
Engine Killer?! - sierraman
When I took my test(1972)it was mainly in heavy traffic and I could only get into 4th once.Afterwards the examiner told me he would have had to fail me if I had not used 4th,as he needed to see that I could use all the gears(no 5th in those days).I thought that would be rather unfair if circumstances had prohibited it.
It is not good to use 5th at low speed as the 5th gear will be excessively loaded.
Engine Killer?! - teabelly
A lot of cars are geared differently. It also depends on how big an engine and how much torque you have. I always go on sound. If it sounds like it wants to change up then I do it, otherwise I'll trundle along in a gear lower. The vauxhall handbook my friend has tells him to be in 5th at 30mph!
teabelly
Engine Killer?! - Dynamic Dave
I remember reading somewhere - might have been here? - that the modern 16 valve engine needs a good reving above 4,000 rpm every now and again to get the valves to rotate so that they don't get complacement and stay in the one place for too long, and subsequently end up sticking.
Engine Killer?! - Sprice
I'd agree that by 30mph, you should be in 4th, although if its a flat road, I might be in 5th with no labouring.
Engine Killer?! - madf
SWMBO's Peugeot 106 diesel : 30mph in 4th? In your dreams unless downhill with a following hurricane. 3rd.
Audi A4 110tdi: 20mph in 4th quite driveable due to all that torque.
Fiesta 1.6? 20mph in 4th possible. Pulls cleanly and slowly. But I usually use 3rd until 30mph.

Agree on revving cars hard at least once a week. 3rd gear, 6,000rpm onto A500 from Reginald Mitchell Way. Makes a lovely sound as Zetec engine gets onto the cam effect over 3,500rpm approx.. Even SWMBO's car responds to a bit of hard driving: I tell her it's to clear the carbon from the cylinder head:-)
madf
Engine Killer?! - smokie
Much easier to stick to 30mph limits in 3rd: and 40 mph in 4th.
Engine Killer?! - turbo11
agree.with modern multivalve engine 30mph in 3rd is my choice.plus its easier to creep over 30 when in 4th.
Engine Killer?! - keo-the-dog
buy an auto stick it in D for do it and ...do it...cheers...keo.
Engine Killer?! - Cliff Pope
"Either way, driving the car without touching 4,000 revs ever would be bad for a car. "

I don't think my Volvo has ever touched 4,000 revs. But then the engine has only done 330,000 miles so far, so perhaps it's too early to assess the long-term impact.
Engine Killer?! - P 2501
And you are the guy with the original brake discs on that car aren't you?

I think i am beginning to get a picture of what type of driver you might be Cliff...
Well remembered!
No, I don't wear a hat, or drive slowly, but I do mostly stick to speed limits, and try and anticipate traffic flow to minimise use of the brakes.
Maybe it is only modern engines that benefit from high rev bursts. I have always driven for fuel economy, keeping the engine at the lowest speed at which it seems happy. I've never yet worn out an engine, and that's with a range of cars going back to 1947 (the cars, not my driving experience).

I suspect it doesn't actually make any difference, but people get the answer they want. Those who like big quiet engines chugging away effortlessly can enjoy that: others like screaming revs and the satisfaction of believing that they are blowing out the cobwebs.
It's changing the oil frequently that really counts, imo.
Engine Killer?! - Red Baron
Agree with most of the posts so far.

It really does depend on the engine gearing. My Alfa still turns 1500 rpm at 30 in 5th. (3500rpm at 30 in 3rd) and this feels slightly high if I'm in a 30-zone that is level and ½ mile long.
Engine Killer?! - nick
Back in the 80's I used to live next door to an elderly chap with a MK1 Granada V6 with a manual box. I was always buying old cars and tinkering so her used to ask me to fix the odd thing that needed doing on the Ford. Every six months or so, he'd complain that the car was getting sluggish and didn't start as well as it should, despite being serviced regularly. He used to do a reasonable mileage but at Volvo 340 speed. So I'd take the car for an hour, blast up the A34 at Newbury leaving clouds of smoke behind and hand it back to him. It always worked and he was always very grateful, believing I had a magical touch with cars.
Remind me never to buy your car Cliff!
--
Adam
It's never likely to be for sale. If I didn't already own it I'd be buying it myself! High mileage lightly stressed cars are good buys.
I'll take your word for it!

What's the "most stressed" you've had it up to then?
--
Adam
Well, it does 70 at just over 3,000 rpm, so not a lot more than that.
It spends most of its life doing an 80 mile round commute. I just jog along with the traffic flow, at a steady 55 usually.
Engine Killer?! - dieselhead
Don't agree that labouring is the biggest killer of engines. More so with modern cars as damage from detonation (pinking) is not such a serious issue.Dirty oil and filters, overheating, overrevving and broken cambelts etc.are.
Likely damage from labouring is breaking up/fatigue of main bearings shells if car is used in high gear when climbing hills or towing over a long period of time.
Unless engine braking is needed for control or hill climbing, using 3rd gear is just wasting petrol for open roads in towns.
Over revving?

On the way home I take some fun twisty bits and on a couple of sweeping straights, I let it sit in third until around 5,000 revs. The limiter cuts in not too far away from 6,000 and the increased power is very evident after 4,000. So how high is too high?

Around town, the inclination of the roads being what they are, 4th in 30 would bog down. I often have to sit around 40mph to be able to use 4th.
--
Adam
Engine Killer?! - Roberson
I think that over-revving is a difficult thing to define properly, because every engine is different. I wouldn't think that a brief rev up to the power peak every so often would be detrimental. The amount of extra wear on a properly maintained engine would be hardly noticeable in the long term.

I rarely rev mine up to its power peak (5200rpm). Due to the low (ish) gearing and relatively high amounts of torque (considering engine size) I can change into top, which is 4th, at speeds as low as 25mph and as long as the road level and not carrying more than a couple of people, I can still accelerate. Its best changing into top at speeds nearer 30 though because the engine seems a bit happier.

Revving the engine as form of ?Italian tune?, on mine at least, is a bit of a waste of time too. Up to 70mph require engine speeds of around 4000rpm anyway, so the inside of the engine is probably always quite clean. In addition to that, I don't do much town driving and I only use branded petrol.

Apart from neglect, I would say one of the biggest engine killers is excessive revs when cold.
Engine Killer?! - bimmer-driver
Lots of people think if they let the engine go over 5000rpm then its going to instantly go pop. Do they think manufacturers are really going to put cars on the market that are so fragile? If they did the warranty costs would be unbelievable, which is why engines are designed to rev to the red line comfortably.
My Corsa gets regular high revs and has never felt better.

Ben
Engine Killer?! - Xileno {P}
Likewise. My Megane dCi sometimes gets taken to about 5000rpm when the mood takes me. It always feels smoother afterwards.
Engine Killer?! - madf
The biggest engine killers are imo: lots of short journeys, infrequent servicing and overheating due to neglect of the cooling system.

When I ran bangers and visited scrapyards, most of the engines had oil the colour of bitumen and the same consistency and radiators corroded to holes. When I looked some 3 years ago at cars for youngest son (8-10 year old Fiesta) nothing had changed.

Revs and well serviced plus good design = no problems.. How many cars have over 200k and still going? Lots of diesel Xantias for a start...
madf
Engine Killer?! - Roger Jones
An aircraft-engineer friend of mine talks in terms of "mechanical sympathy". Sadly, those who have it are in a minority. You know what I mean: feeling the pain of an engine screaming at maximum revs for too long, groaning as driving in too low a gear induces rumbles and jolts, wincing as a cold engine is pushed too hard too soon, mourning the fate of a car faced with nothing but short trips and excessive gear changing. All it takes is to grasp the idea that engines need coddling until they are fully warmed up and that extremes of treatment (or maltreatment) should not last more than a moment.