Golf Handbrake - Gordon A
Looking to get a current model Golf GTi but, even though the brochures show the handbrake next to the driver's seat with the 'cubby-cup' thing next to the passenger's seat, the dealer's demo is the other way around. Is this common to all Golfs, i.e. the handbrake is next to the passenger's seat? The dealer couldn't offer an explanation on this one!! Why does the brochure show the handbrake next to the driver's seat I wonder?
Golf Handbrake - Big Bad Dave
Could it be that the designer of the brochure has simply "flipped" the image to suit his design? I do it all the time, so long as there are no give-away signs like reversed lettering.
Golf Handbrake - oldgit
Looking to get a current model Golf GTi but, even though
the brochures show the handbrake next to the driver's seat with
the 'cubby-cup' thing next to the passenger's seat, the dealer's demo
is the other way around. Is this common to all
Golfs, i.e. the handbrake is next to the passenger's seat?
The dealer couldn't offer an explanation on this one!! Why does
the brochure show the handbrake next to the driver's seat I
wonder?

In my new (ish) Golf MKV 1.6SE FSI the handbrake lever IS next to the passenger's seat with the various cup holders nearest me - not a thing I worry about at all although it does appear to irk some owners if you care to read the various threads in www.uk-mkivs.net
Golf Handbrake - oldgit
The handbrake lever in my new Golf MKV 1.6SE FSI, is next to the passenger's seat leaving the various cup holders, etc. next to the driver's seat.

Have a look at the various threads on www.uk-mkivs.net and post your query there as they are all enthusiasts par excellence.
Golf Handbrake - Bromptonaut
I think BBD has hit the nail, the brochure designer has simply flipped the lhd artwork in the UK version. Once they move the handbrake off centre I can't see manufacturer justifying two console mouldings and possibly an alternative cable routing unless it was vital.

BBD, if you do that sort of thing for a living I hope you're not the philistine who flipped the view over the Vale of Keswick to fit in Garmin's GPS brochure.
Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I'm not been seen off with some 'dodgy' version!!
Golf Handbrake - colinh
If you have the optional central armrest (possibly standard with GTI), it's probably easier to use the handbrake on the passenger side. I have a LHD Golf with armrest and it's not the easiest of combinations having the handbrake on the driver's side under the armrest. (Leads to bad habits like keeping foot on brake with an auto-box, although that's encouraged as you can't get out of neutral without a foot on the brake)
Nothing so glamorous Bromptonaut. I?m in Poland, I spend most of my time airbrushing Trabants out of shot or trying to make it look like it?s not snowing.

Actually, we regularly feature cars that never even enter the country so I often use images sourced from UK, drop em onto a Polish background, flip em over and paste in Polish plates. Another trick is taking a dull, stationary car, spinning its wheels and blurring the background to make look like it?s really motoring. When it?s done well it looks fantastic and is probably what happens in most good brochures. The cars you see bombing down country lanes probably aren?t moving at all.
Golf Handbrake - BazzaBear {P}
Another trick is taking a dull, stationary car, spinning its wheels
and blurring the background to make look like it?s really motoring.
When it?s done well it looks fantastic and is probably what
happens in most good brochures. The cars you see bombing down
country lanes probably aren?t moving at all.

A couple of years ago, Rover got told off on at least a monthly basis for doing this by the ASA. Eventually they weren't actually allowed to publish an advert without running it past the ASA first.
And yes, that's right, this means that some people felt it was a good use of their time to write a letter top the ASA complaining about pictures of MG's having blur lines on them.
Golf Handbrake - Dynamic Dave
The handbrake lever in my new Golf MKV 1.6SE FSI, is
next to the passenger's seat leaving the various cup holders, etc.
next to the driver's seat.

Same with the Focus I've been drving today. Lost count of the number of times I've bashed my knuckles on the cup holders, etc whilst reaching for the handbrake. Doesn't feel natural having to reach over to the passenger side of the car for the handbrake lever.
Was reading a test drive from December 2004 showing a left hand drive car and, guess what, the handbrake's next to the driver! So, for the RH drive model, the handbrake/centre console hasn't been changed. An oversight or a bit of cost cutting?!!
Golf Handbrake - mare
Was reading a test drive from December 2004 showing a left
hand drive car and, guess what, the handbrake's next to the
driver! So, for the RH drive model, the handbrake/centre console
hasn't been changed. An oversight or a bit of cost
cutting?!!

Standard practice. Remember, the UK and Ireland are the odd ones out by having RHD cars. Far more economic to produce 1 million centre consoles the same rather than 900000 for LHD and 100000 for RHD.

This is why indicators are on the left side of the wheel on most cars, whereas British and Japanese used to have them on the right. Commonality. Also, i daresay why volume control on the radios are on the left, i.e. nearest the driver on LHD models.
Same on my Peugeot. The two buttons for "sport" and "ice" are left of the gear selector. Perfect for LHD but I can?t even see them let alone press them.