Parking fine ,got off! - 3T
Received a lovely fine this morning while using a supermarket car park, I know we are not to name and shame so I won't but i will say it is one of the big four.
They have given over responsibilty for car parks to a third party company to patrol and issue tickets.

Phoned the store who we polite but had no authority,phoned national customer services who were polite but again could not help,they could only suggest to write to them as that dept could not deal with telephones or e mails!!!

After a bit of ringing round I got hold of supermarkets head office , spoke to a very decent chap who admitted it was draconian and not good service and agreed to get the fine waved. Most pleasing indeed.

Persistance can pay off,if anyone else gets in this situation,just keep trying,well worth the effort
Parking fine ,got off! - BobbyG
I am on the other side of this and wonder what the full circumstances were. We employ a third party to patrol our car park and issue tickets if drivers are in breach of the well-posted rules.
If everyone in the town decided to park in our car park without shopping, the real customers would lose out and the store would close down (ok ok, I know mine is already!)
I have the power at the store to say to the third party company to rip up a ticket. I would guess your store did as well, but they probably didn't see why they should!
Well, this store is on the outskirts of town , half empty car park, store staff happy to pass the buck giving me third party co's address
Parent and child spaces next to disabled spaces, wheelchair painted on floor( I know i should have seen it), no change in colour of bays from parent/child and disabled.
I am aware that what I did was wrong, I would never knowingly take a disabled space.
What got me fired up was while i was in the shop for 15 mins there were 2 announcements quoting reg numbers for car owners to come to service desk.
Had they called out my number I would happily have moved my car,even after being ticketed as surely the point should be to free up that space for its proper use.
Lesson learned, could have been costly,all credit to chap I spoke to in the end
Parking fine ,got off! - Bromptonaut
3T:

Trust you got the name of the guy who let you off. You might need it when the final deamnd turns up from the contracter
Trust you got the name of the guy who let
you off. You might need it when the final deamnd turns
up from the contracter

certainly did, along with direct line number and a promise of a call later today when sorted out>> 3T:
Parking fine ,got off! - oldtoffee
I wish our local supermarket car park was run this way. At ours, the disabled spaces are of course right at the front of the store which is dead handy for goons who drop in for a Starbucks takeaway. Perpetrators usually identifiable from two out of the following four - cream chinos, dyed blonde hair, car from Munich or Stuttgart.
Parking fine ,got off! - Happy Blue!
At our health club a blue BMW M3 always parks in disabled parking zone and does not display disabled badge. I have complained loudly and often to no avail. They are more scaredof losing his business than mine, despite the fact we give over £1300pa in family membership.

If there was another club nearby I would leave the existing one.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Parking fine ,got off! - Chris M
Our local Morrisons has moved the disabled and M&B spaces away from the door. The car park is L-shaped running along two sides of the store. The entrance is on the corner and there's a canopy running along each side. The disabled spaces are along one side and the M&B are along the other. The spaces are close to the canopy if it's raining and near enough to the door. It seems to work.

Chris M
Parking fine ,got off! - Big Bad Dave
When I?m president (not long now), people who park on a disabled plot will be hobbled. Hey, why not have the disabilty that goes with the privilege? People who don?t see the huge giant orange disabled sign painted in huge giant orange paint will be given free eye checks. And then hobbled.
When I?m president (not long now), people who park on a
disabled plot will be hobbled. Hey, why not have the disabilty
that goes with the privilege? People who don?t see the huge
giant orange disabled sign painted in huge giant orange paint will
be given free eye checks. And then hobbled.

Along with the swines who don't have toddlers swinging off their arms and legs but still use the parent and child spaces,
anyone seen a ticket given for this?
Parking fine ,got off! - NowWheels
>> People who don't see the huge giant orange
>> disabled sign painted in huge giant orange paint will
>> be given free eye checks. And then hobbled.
Along with the swines who don't have toddlers swinging off their
arms and legs but still use the parent and child spaces,

Following BBD's logic, it's obvious: those people should be given free babies.

Not toy babies or video babies, but real ones, babies that yowl all night and puke all over the car interior after inserting half their crisps into the CD player. Plenty of them swines will wish they had been hobbled instead! ;-)
Parking fine ,got off! - Hugo {P}
Following BBD's logic, it's obvious: those people should be given free
babies.
Not toy babies or video babies, but real ones, babies that
yowl all night and puke all over the car interior after
inserting half their crisps into the CD player. Plenty of them
swines will wish they had been hobbled instead! ;-)

I have to say if there was only one post that made me laugh out loud since I joined the BR, then that was it!

Nice one NW!

H
Parking fine ,got off! - tyre tread
I have no kids, never wanted any and don'y intend to have any but I wouldn't think twice about using a M&B space. to reverse the common ideaology of modern times, why should I be discriminated against just becaiuse I don't have children.

Having children is a choice that people make, so live with the inconveniences.

On the other hand I wouldn't use disabled spaces because no-one chooses to be disabled and I believe that in order to qualify for a disabled badge one needs to produce medical evidence.

I do get really annoyed at people I know who use their relatives badges when not with, or on the business of, the disabled relative.
Parking fine ,got off! - Big Bad Dave
"Having children is a choice that people make, so live with the inconveniences."

I half agree with you there TT, and half don?t. I?ve got two toddlers and to get them in and out of their seats I have to open the doors right to their limits so I need a wider bay. But it doesn?t have to be close to the store, just close to a trolley stand. If supermarkets want M&B business, they?ve gotta provide the bays.

My children were not a lifestyle choice that I made however, they were a by-product of drugs and alcohol.
I have no kids, never wanted any and don'y intend to
have any but I wouldn't think twice about using a M&B
space. to reverse the common ideaology of modern times, why should
I be discriminated against just becaiuse I don't have children.

No of course you shouldn't be discriminated against because you don't have children.

The M&B spaces are so designed because they are wider, and allow parents to open the doors to their full extent to allow safe buckling and unbuckling of car seats - I am sure you would afford parents of this necessity, would you not?

My Children are now older and can be trusted to climb in and out of the car just as an adult would, Hence I now use the normal spaces. However when they were smaller the lack of M&B spaces (either because there weren't any or because they were being "abused") would mean that I had to have the dexterity of a keyhole surgeon to fasten mine in their safety seats whilst struggling with a car door that wants to either trap my arms or put a dent onto the car next door.

In addition the childrens' safety was significantly improved. These spaces were right next to the supermarket, which meant that I didn't have to cross the road with a 4 and a 2 year old who had as much road sense as an armadillo on dope!

It is for these reasons that I no longer use them, although that technically I could still be permitted to use the ones at the local Morrisons that are called "Parent and Child Spaces". I see that they are so much use to young families.
"The M&B spaces are so designed because they are wider, and allow parents to open the doors to their full extent to allow safe buckling and unbuckling of car seats - I am sure you would afford parents of this necessity, would you not?" -

Actually i believe that all spaces should be wide enough for car doors to be opened without havng to squeeze in an out and rub my clothes against the side of the car or risk denting the next car to mine or having mone dented.

"My Children are now older and can be trusted to climb in and out of the car just as an adult would, Hence I now use the normal spaces. However when they were smaller the lack of M&B spaces (either because there weren't any or because they were being "abused") would mean that I had to have the dexterity of a keyhole surgeon to fasten mine in their safety seats whilst struggling with a car door that wants to either trap my arms or put a dent onto the car next door." -

A slight exageration there I feel Hugo! I wonder how people managed before these M&B spaces? Perhaps this is a bit of an inconveience that I mentioned.

"In addition the childrens' safety was significantly improved. These spaces were right next to the supermarket, which meant that I didn't have to cross the road with a 4 and a 2 year old who had as much road sense as an armadillo on dope!" -

Than you should have been using this as an opportunity to teach them how to cross the road - My blood pressure is rising as it always does when people start to tell me (and others) that everything we do should be focused on protecting children. Sorry, that's your job as a parent. I am not going to go out of the way to hurt a child but if yours runs out in front of me while I'm exercising reasonable care then I'm not going to feel guilty.

"It is for these reasons that I no longer use them, although that technically I could still be permitted to use the ones at the local Morrisons that are called "Parent and Child Spaces". I see that they are so much use to young families." -

My wife parked in one a short time ago as her elderly mother is prone to throwing the door wide open with great gusto. As she helped her mother out of the car a member of staff told my wife that these were parent and child spaces - any guesses on how embarrassed the employee was when my wife pointed out that they were in fact mother and child!
TT

Until you do have children of your own you will obviously fail to grasp any of the points I have raised.

I, on the other hand, have spent the first 25 yeas of my life without any children, so I do at least see the arguement from both sides.

Please don't let your blood pressure rise too much, as it creates one hell of a mess in the BR, which we then have to clean up.
I kind of expected that answer hugo but I guess I'm neber going to see your point of view (hopefully). Actullay I retract that. I do see your point of view. I just don't agree with it or its validity! :-)

I don't see why parents should receive special concessions when it is I and others like me (without children) who pay huge amounts of tax to subsidise you who have children and then you expect me and my like to let you have the best parking spaces! Come on, be fair!

Careful Hugo, get the mop & bcket ready. I could explode at any second!!!
Parking fine ,got off! - Stuartli
We have a metropolitan council which operates an extremely strict and heavily regimented traffic wardens street parking scheme who dish out parking tickets like confetti.

The council also demands the rights to operate the same car parking scheme on land adjacent to at least one major supermarket chain and a number of well known stores (another supermarket chain based not too far away from this scheme eventually told the council exactly where to get off).

Result. Shoppers who pay the parking fee (it's in advance of course) more often than not get caught out if they only intend to stay for half-an-hour and go over time over perhaps by a minute or two get landed with a £30 fine (soon to go up). It's especially harrowing for visitors to what is a popular holiday resort.

The main supermarket pays the parking fee (pro rata) if you spend more than a certain amount which seems fair enough, but must take quite a slice of its profits compared to its other stores in the UK.

Yet the town's main multi-storey car park, which is operated by NCP, works on the basis of paying when you come out which is much more fair; even more so when outside the council's street traffic wardens are busily scribbling in their books and handing out more fines.

Again the visitors are involved in this activity. Parking fees are waived from 8pm until 8am in most of the streets, apart from one or two which have a different time for early morning.

So quite a few visitors who are staying in local hotels and boarding houses who enjoy a night out in the town and then hit their pillows wake up next morning to eventually discover they have a parking fine.

Not the best way to encourage people to come and have a holiday...:-(

Even those motorists who legally stop to drop or pick up passengers are told to move on by the traffic wardens; it's no wonder that so many townsfolk talk bitterly about the Gestapo style tactics used.

How do I deal with it? I don't. I shop outside the town at the main Tesco or nip on a bus (free pass) and avoid any potential hassle.

I can also tell the traffic wardens exactly what I think of them with no comeback when the occasion warrants it...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Parking fine ,got off! - Citroënian {P}
When we voted for our local councillors, did anyone see "revenue by parking fines" on their manifesto? Or "funding for local authorities by parking fines" in a general election?

I'm sure local government needs whatever income it can get as their budgets are reduced annually, but this seems an odd way to supplement it.

It wouldn't happen, but I wonder where the finances of local authorities would be if suddenly no-one got tickets - that is no-one parked illegally anywhere?

It'd be interesting to see how much of those services provided are funded by these fines.

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Parking fine ,got off! - Bill Payer
Another US related comment: I was over there visiting a supplier and he wouldn't even stopfor a moment, to unload the car, in one of his company car park's disabled spaces. It's a big no no over there, and is an offence even in privately owned car parks.
Parking fine ,got off! - nortones2
I believe the standard, non-negotiable, rate for misuse of disabled spaces is $500 in the US.
Parking fine ,got off! - $till $kint
When I?m president (not long now), people who park on a
disabled plot will be hobbled. Hey, why not have the disabilty
that goes with the privilege? People who don?t see the huge
giant orange disabled sign painted in huge giant orange paint will
be given free eye checks. And then hobbled.

I hope that isn't aimed at anyone in particular?
Parking fine ,got off! - JH
where I put my X ?
John
Parking fine ,got off! - midlifecrisis
Perhaps we can give the same tickets to the 'disabled' drivers, who feel a blue badge is a licence to park in the most ridiculous places, usually blocking the passage of other motorists. I know I do!!!