headlamps, beam conversion - Brian
I have always converted my headlamps for continental use by sticking black tape over the appropriate area of prism that normally deflec ts the beam to the left. Has anyoe any ideas on how this can be achieved on the new type of lens that appears not to have such prisms; spares shops still sell the old conversion kits but nothing else.
Re: headlamps, beam conversion - David Lacey
Proper accessory headlamp convertors are the only sure way of doing it properly, available from your dealer at great cost, no doubt!

Xenon headlamps have a switching mechanism on the rear of the lamp to enable continental use.
Re: headlamps, beam conversion - Nipsy
I have a Merc SLK and when I enquired about headlamp conversion was told by MB there was no kit available yet so I stuck the black tape on by guess work. The following year I did not bother and just put the beam on its lowest setting and never had a "flash" from oncoming cars. I have to admit that whilst abroad I aim to do the least possible night motoring and it may explain why I have had no problem. I think HJ has suggested this as well.
Re: headlamps, beam conversion - Honest John
That's right. But Xenon lights on new cars have to be automatically self-levelling, which is why, as David points out, most of them have a switch to convert to RH dip.

HJ
Re: headlamps, beam conversion - Slartibartfast
Puma's manual says that the lights can be switched over...but you have to visit yor local FoMoCo dealer who'll rip your arm off closely followed by your leg !
Re: headlamps, beam conversion - Mike H
I've recently returned a Saab 9-3, and now have a Saab 9-5. Both handbooks showed which bits of the headlamp to tape over. Have you checked the handbook (sorry, obvious question, but handbooks these days don't always contain a lot of helpful info - "refer to dealer"!).
Re: headlamps, beam conversion - rogerb
It may be worth buying headlamp protectors anyway, with their built-in guidelines (on the Focus ones, anyway). As I'm told a new headlamp unit is £126 (probably + VAT!), the £25incl for the perspex shields seemed a good insurance!