New Car - Suggestions? - wjh
We are looking to downsize from a full size MPV as we can no longer justify the running costs of the car and don't need quite so much space. We are looking for a smaller car, something economical (in excess of 40mpg) such as a small petrol or diesel. The car should seat 5 comfortably, be of decent quality (it needs to last) and have a boot big enough to fit a small inflatable boat when folded up (about 1.0m by 0.5m). Budget about 16-19k. Have already looked at the C-Max but i'm not a fan - the rear seats are awkward and we have had appaling aftersales service from Ford in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
New Car - Suggestions? - DavidHM
I'd probably not be going for an MPV at all in your situation, but a large diesel saloon that will still comfortably exceed 40 mpg. As such, my choice would be either a VW Passat or a Honda Accord - the Passat is cheaper, the Accord better built. The ubiquitous Mondeo TDci would do the job, too, for less, although if you're reluctant to go for a Ford, you certainly don't have to.
New Car - Suggestions? - Altea Ego
From all reports the accord does not give MPG

Mondeo TDCI, or if you cant face a Ford, the Passat TDI.
New Car - Suggestions? - P3t3r
16k-19k is a lot of money for a car. I'm not sure how big you need, but you can get a very good supermini for a lot less than that. eg. you can get a good Skoda Fabia for less than £12k, and the Diesel gets 56mpg for the combined cycle. This kind of car should do everything you could want, but may be a little small.

You could save thousands buying a car like this rather than a bigger car. There are also petrol options, but the fuel consumption isn't as good as the Diesel on this model. They also do an estate version of the Fabia if you need a little more room.

There are also other superminis you can look at. I wouldn't look at a Fiesta though, my parents have one, and it's horrible (plastic everywhere, and I even feel travel sick as a passenger).
a supermini would definitely be too small. we need to carry an inflatable boat + small engine! The galaxy swallows this up but i am positive it would fit in a smaller car. The problem with a saloon is the height of the boot, and the size of the opening, a taller car such as an estate, a hatchback or a small MPV would be better. I forgot to mention the car must be an automatic as well which rules out the honda i think.
try a Grande Scenic then.
no diesel auto??? petrol auto on a car that size may be a bit thirsty. Might be a bit big too. sorry to be picky.
New Car - Suggestions? - machika
Skoda Octavia diesel DSG automatic.
DSG has suspect reliability.
DSG has suspect reliability.

is this just in the skoda or in general vw group cars
DSG as whole on the VW group.
New Car - Suggestions? - daveyjp
RF - please point me in the direction of anywhere highlighting problems with the DSG box.

I've searched the internet, I've looked through VAG group car magazines (independent ones) and I have yet to see anything suggesting the DSG box has inherent problems. Certainly no probs with mine over the first 6,000 miles.
more like it - whats the engine like on that?
C5 diesel automatic.
C5 diesel automatic.

whats the build quality like on that?
>> C5 diesel automatic.
>>
whats the build quality like on that?

>>

Actually quite good now they have sorted out the problems with the early cars.

Nothing wrong with the HDI engines, that's for sure, and the auto box is fine on our car, although it would be better with a 5 speed box.
New Car - Suggestions? - DavidHM
Octavia or Passat TDi estate with DSG gearbox and the 140 bhp engine then?

£16,513 for the Skoda in Elegance trim from www.broadspeed.co.uk

The Passat's not out for a couple of months but the saloon is about £18k discounted in 2.0 SE spec (you could save £1k by going for the slightly more basic S version, which still has air con, alloys, etc.) The estate is likely to be £1k more.
I like the look of the new Passat, but i still think its on the big side. What are opinions on the latest A Class?
I hope they have improved the ride on the latest A Class, because the ride on the original is awful.
Would it seat 5 comfortably? I don't think it would and what about your inflatable.

If you want to seat 5 comfortably you need a fairly big car.
New Car - Suggestions? - blue_haddock
Corolla Verso? Citreon Berlingo Multispace?
New Car - Suggestions? - Bromptonaut
Van derived car eg Fiat Doblo or PSA Beringo/Partner?.

The latter would meet the 40mpg requirement with an HDI engine, though you'd buy a lot of diesel for the £1k price premium it demands.
An automatic is needed remember. I don't think a diesel auto is an option, is it?
New Car - Suggestions? - BobbyG
Hate to be a spoilsport but in your original post you say that you can't justify the running costs of your current car, but are then prepared to pay up to £19k to replace?

Unless there is something seriously wrong with your own car then I think it fits your criteria of what you are looking for!

Bear in mind your £19k car will probably lose say £3k as soon as you take ownership. Will your current car cost you £3k in ownership costs this year?

I am sorry if this makes too much sense, I hate it when someone suggests that to me when I am trying to change my car!!!!!
New Car - Suggestions? - MichaelR
Used BMW 530d SE Touring.

Job done.
New Car - Suggestions? - Avant
I don't see anything in your post about preferring an automatic, so if you don;'t need one, go for a Skoda Octavia TDI estate wth a manual gearbox. The 140 bhp version I think has a 6-speed gearbox which will help with economy.

There are also good reports of the Mazda 5 - like a C-Max with the propect of better delaer service than from a Ford monolith.
New Car - Suggestions? - MichaelR
Given that Ford now own Mazda and that most Mazda dealers have a Ford dealer attached, or vice Versa, I don't really see how the dealer service can differ.
I don't see anything in your post about preferring an automatic,
so if you don;'t need one, go for a Skoda Octavia
TDI estate wth a manual gearbox.

See second post by wjh, where he says it has to be an automatic.
New Car - Suggestions? - y2k+4
I'd think about a top-of-the-range TDi Altea (if you want an auto you can get it with DSG) or for a larger boot a Toledo. I don't really think the larger family saloons are really necessary anymore since the smaller cars are now easily spacious enough for a family of 5, and they do have a tendency to depreciate faster than their smaller counterparts...if boot space is such a high priority then the dull Focus/Megane/Octavia estates are always around...
New Car - Suggestions? - bradgate
I would recommend the Skoda Octavia TDI 140.

I drove one for a day and was very impressed. Quick, comfortable, high quality, refined and very economical.

I liked the slick 6-speed manual, but others prefer the auto.
Something I'd just like to add about a lot of recent cars relevant to new VAG cars (Golf+, Octavia, and I suspect the Altea to a greater degree), Focus II and latest Vxhll Astra. IMHO they all seem to ride quite firmly these days at this price...there's only a current-shape Megane Scenic I've been in where I would actually describe the ride as soothing. Not that I've really been in a vast selection, but it is something to note if you're after a relaxing and comfortable car, which is something I'd say a Galaxy is.
The altea is an interesting idea, but would like to know a bit more about the dsg box. saw touran, golf plus and a-class today. A-class boot just about big enough and very impressed by fit and finish, and also the space offered. the a150 petrol seems to offer a good balance between mpg and the cheaper price of the petrol. Touran mpg not good enough, tdi dsg too expensive. not impressed by golf plus. Does the scenic offer a diesel auto?
Does the
scenic offer a diesel auto?

The Scenic doesn't but the Megane does, so you could consider the Tourer with the 100 bhp 1.5 DCi engine.
What would you like to know about the DSG box? I've been running one for four months and still think it's the dogs danglies!
Four months isn't much of a test of longevity though.
It's probably the most complete one you'll find - DSG hasn't really been around long enough for a complete test.
I'm not commenting about the longevity, more about living with it day to day.

The gearbox has been around for a couple of years now and the only incidents of failures I've found are 18 months old and from owners of very early TT 3.2s with the DSG box fitted.

Comments such as 'when I floor it the clutch fails to engage, it was OK for the first 2,000 miles, but now I'm having problems' lead me to think driver abuse may be a contributory factor in problems, such abuse is not good for the clutch and gearbox of any car.
New Car - Suggestions? - Adam {P}
So if you have a DSG gearbox, you can't floor the car?
--
Adam
You can floor it but there is no point. The e-gas system and the ECU on auto clutch cars limit the amount of power going through the clutch and gearbox when setting off to stop the clutch overheating, but even this system will cause the clutch to slip if you floor it regularly. The technique is to get the car rolling then apply power. DSG has launch control which overcomes this, should you be the sort who needs to race everything from the lights!
New Car - Suggestions? - Adam {P}
Thanks for the explanation.
--
Adam