Back to Motoring (sort of...) - ian (cape town)
This was in our local paper today:
Question: Are Westminster parking wardens council employees, or are they independent contractors?
BTW, Notice Rocky's profession... :)

London - In the urban jungle, it pays to be armed with a camera when parking your car.
On Thursday, after 10 months of legal action, Londoner Rocky Fernandez finally won his battle to have a prematurely issued £80 parking ticket cancelled.
But despite his victory, Fernandez, who caught an overeager parking warden's actions on film, called his long fight against Westminster Council for justice "a disgrace".
The 38-year-old management consultant was given a ticket after putting two pounds in a meter in central London for 30 minutes of parking.
He returned to his vehicle 17 minutes later to find a parking attendant putting a ticket on his windscreen. In a burst of quick-thinking, Fernandez took photographs of the meter showing the remaining time, and the warden issuing the ticket.
An independent parking adjudicator ruled the fine should not stand.
Fernandez said the council had tried to "intimidate" him into paying up.
"It's been a huge hassle for me to get justice," he said.
But now Fernandez faces another fight against the council's tight purse strings: a refund of the £240 in legal costs he spent on defending himself. - Sapa-AP
Re: Back to Motoring (sort of...) - THe Growler
During a 3 week stay in Chelsea last September I walked daily along the Kings Road. There were literally dozens of wardens like vultures waiting to pounce. I don't know who does the candidate profiling for these jobs but somewhere in there a desirable attribute must be Borderline Personal Disorder.
Re: Back to Motoring (sort of...) - Brian
I don't know about Westminster but in Camden, which is next door, they are independent contractors.
And, unlike traffic wardens, they are solely concerned with parking enforcement, so if traffic lights fail or there is an accident they turn the other cheek.