1998 Primera How do I keep it going - Beaks
I have a 2 litre 1998 's' Primera. It has leather and all that and I really like it. Fuel consumption is okay 35-37 mpg and it does me okay. I want to keep it for a couple of years longer. It is has now done 93,500 miles and ticks over like it did when I bought it in Jan 2001.I get it serviced yearly and change the oil about every 5000 miles.
Has anyone got any tips about what I should do to keep it running ?? All tips welcome..
1998 Primera How do I keep it going - Sprice
Well, the old adage 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' comes to mind. Cars with timing chains such as your Primera require regular oil changes, so carry on with the regular servicing you have been doing and it shouldn't give much, (if any), trouble!
1998 Primera How do I keep it going - Smileyman
Mine is a 1993 K reg 1.6 manual. 170,000 miles on the clock - original clutch. Have replaced some front suspension linkages, a couple of alternaters, batteries, and exhausts. Now begining to rust at base of rear wheel arches - both sides. Fuel consumption similar to yours in winter, slightly better in summer.

Consider it may be time for a change, which is a pity since I've had the car from new.

Just keep the car serviced on a regular basis, and give it a good run now and again.
1998 Primera How do I keep it going - Aprilia
Use a good quality oil (5W-40 SL-graded) and genuine Nissan oil filters. Change the antifreeze every two years - use only genuine Nissan coolant concentrate mixed 50:50 with deionised water. Change gearbox oil every couple of years (about 3.5 litres of synthetic 75W-85 GL-4; e.g. Castrol SMX-S or similar).
1998 Primera How do I keep it going - The Gingerous One
I recently sold my M reg 2.0eGT with 165k miles on the clock. I'd had it from 110k. I always changed the oil & filter every 5k miles. I must confess to never using gen Nissan parts (except an exhaust system), but I never had any problems. I used 10w40 semi-synthetic oil as well (Vauxhall-branded).

Alternator finally went at 161k though, by the side of the M6.

The main killer of mine was rust in the rear wheel arch at the end of the sill. After once getting a puncture, I jacked the car up and all of a sudden the metal all blistered at the end of the sill. Poking it revealed a nice hole and from this point on the cars days in my ownership were numbered.
1998 Primera How do I keep it going - mark999
Definitely regular oilo and filter changes my 94 2.0 had the cams
sieze up.
If possible take the cam cover off and remove the 2 oil feed pipes that feed oil to the top of the engine. You will find that the oil feed outlets are no bigger than pin holes and several may well be blocked.
1998 Primera How do I keep it going - madf
Since a few have mentioned rust but no-one has said how to stop it. Hose down underneath wheel arches after winter. Go underneath and touch up underseal. Add Dinitrol wax (not Waxoyl - it washes off too easily) - to all exposed seams and round all wheelarches..Inspect annually after hosing.
Time spent 1 hour max.

madf

1998 Primera How do I keep it going - Aprilia
Post '96 Primera shouldn't really suffer from rust. You'll find more rust on a Merc of the same age!