mondeo electrics - john3
Help required please if possible.My T reg 1.8 TD keeps blowing the engine management fuse and with it taking out the blower/air con head lights and all instrument lights.However the individual fuses for these remain intact.I've got it booked in with an auto electrician tomorrow but any advice would be appreciated,thanks.
mondeo electrics - wemyss
I tried to help John3 above with this yesterday. This fault also seems to have some connection with the battery charging as yesterday I had to give him a jump start.
The car then performs perfectly and then with no warning the management fuse blows taking all the ancilliaries John mentions.
A new fuse 7.5A fuse and the vehicle is OK for a few hours. Could there perhaps be an earth fault somewhere?.
Does the ECU have any connection with the charging as I imagined this would be a standalone system of alternator, battery and fanbelt.
Any help please..

mondeo electrics - elekie&a/c doctor
Check the routing of the engine wiring harness from the large multi-plug by the near side inner wing panel as it makes its path to the end of the cylinder head (above gearbox)to the front of the engine to the diesel pump electrics.If the clutch has been replaced recently make sure the wiring has not been trapped between engine/gearbox.The main engine earth is attached to one of the starter bolts .(below battery carrier).The alternator is not Ecu controlled on this model but the battery warning light needs to work to initiate the charging system.
Thanks for that elekie. John is going to print this off and take it with him to suggest the above to the Auto Electrician.
Before that he says he will have a look and try and find the areas you mention.
The auto electricians had the car this morning and said they had contacted Ford for help as they couldnt solve the problem.
All the company could do was to suggest they take the dash out looking for a bad connection but this would take about seven hours with no guarentee of success.
John had given them elekies commnents but he said they didnt seem too interested in these.
Will no doubt be trying to help myself in the next day or two so welcome any further suggesions.
Taking the management fuse seems to me to be a short to earth on some wire whilst on the move and John thinks that bumps in the road sometines causes this to happen although not every time.