Grey greasy grime - Boney
After any journey involving a spell of high speed running ,say 50 miles up the M1 my side windows get a coating of grey greasy grime worst down by the door rear view mirrors but generally all over the glass. To shift it I have to use washing up liquid in water because a dry duster just spreads it about and makes it worse.I assume it is engine bay fumes escaping from under the bonnet and slip steaming round my car. Does anyone else get it or is it just me ? Every car I get seems to do it more or less. I suppose I should stop running Fuming cars.
Re: Grey greasy grime - Jonathan
Its an accumulation of general crap from the roads. Probably comprising of:

Salt;
Oil;
Diesel;
Rubber deposits from tyres;
Cigarette ash;
Exhaust drippings;
Chewing Gum;
Remnants of Roadkill;

This nasty stuff clings to my car also.

Jonathan
Re: Grey greasy grime - ian (cape town)
If you are going to wash it off, the green stuff used on dishes is a definite No No! Rather get some proper car cleaning gear, and then give it a damn good polish. Then you'll only have to use water and a spnge to clean off all the crud.
Re: Grey greasy grime - Rob Govier
Part of the rich expereince of winter driving. This is why some HGV drivers have pieces of rag hanging off their mirrors; to give them a quick and easy wipe (so they can choose who to pull out on...)

Beware that those smaller headlamps lose much of their effectiveness if dirty. Much more so than traditional ones.

Why do manufacturers spend fortunes on wind tunnel testing when winter muck neatly outlines airflow around a vehicle?

BTW, what is the most interesting piece of debris ever spotten on a central reservation? If I'm queueing, I often choose lane three as I can see what's been washed up there. Ford wheel trims seem to feature heavily. How about false limbs, empty wallets, unusual underwear, etc, etc??

rg
Re: Grey greasy grime - Jonathan
The rags attached to side mirrors actually keep them clear while driving. They are usually used on the nearside side, where the wind blows them around, thereby keeping the mirror clear.

Very smart trick in any case.

J
Re: Grey greasy grime - Brian
I tried cleaning my motorbike helmet visor when I got to work yesterday and found that the bits which would not wipe off with a damp cloth were oil spots, which took some elbow grease to remove, but carefully to avoid scratching the plastic.
I am afraid that it is just what you get in winter in the UK and frequent cleaning is the only answer.
Roll on Summer!
Re: Grey greasy grime - Derek
I use a cloth with a VERY weak Flash solution on the outside of the visor, followed by rinsing with clean water, and it works without any ill effects that I can see. The inside has a Fog City insert and it just needs an occasional wipe with a damp cloth.
Re: Grey greasy grime - David W
I'm often amazed when cars come here by the grey grime on the inside of the windscreen. Worse on motorway use cars with no filter.

My 1978 Saab had a pollen filter and was my first experience of them. The screen on that stayed clean for much longer than other cars.

Much depends on the roads you use. In our rural area the grey muck is less but we have a slimy paste from the tractors and beet lorries.

This morning a Mum at school was complaining her "Christmas present" Ford Explorer was getting too dirty, not what you want on a 4x4 apparently.

Now I really must get on! Time is.....I was going to say money but passing me by is perhaps more apt.

David
Re: Grey greasy grime - Brian
Derek
Thanks for the tip. (or should it be News Flash?)
I haven't come across Fog City inserts. I'll ask my dealer.
Re: Grey greasy grime - Derek
Several of us in the office here use them and swear by them. Bit of a fiddle to fit, but worth the effort.
Re: Grey greasy grime - Tim Allcott
Expensive, but effective ; Rain X. (no financial interest!)
Follow instructions, and at this time of year you might need to apply it monthly. It does, however, help keep windows clearer of gunk.
Re: Grey greasy grime - Paul
Fog City: echo the recommendation, the best m/cycle accessory in recent years, works a treat. But be very careful when fitting.