Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - martine1081
The other day I needed a new tyre for my car it was 175/50/14.
The cheapest price quoted to replace it is around £65!

Apparently the reason for this is, it is a rare size and now only Pirelli (sp) make them now, so the prices are really high, and might go higher in the furture (well what doesn't eh?.

I've decided that changing the size of all the tyres might be a good move in the future.

I'm just wondering what size to change to? I can't find any 175/55/14 around but there are a large selecion of 175/60/13 tyres around (and cheaper) but i'm wondering if the extra profile will affect the car?

Anyone know if this is likely, or have other suggestions of size?

Kind regards

Martine
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - stan_deezy
Hi martine, a very quick google search pulled up £54.20 (not fitted but did include VAT and delivery) for a pirelli from mytyres.co.uk.
Mytyres.co.uk also quote for a Goodyear although this may be old stock.

Changing tyre size is a complex business as you have to keep the rolling circumference the same (I think that's the right term, it's too early on a Sunday morning!).

You are looking at having to change the wheels (probably incl the spare to be on the safe side) and the tyres to change the tyre size overall.

It might be worth it in the long run if what the garage has told you is correct and the tyre is a rare size.

Any good tyre place will be able to advise you on what size of wheel and tyre combination you can use.

Hope this helps a wee bit
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - P3t3r
Hi, I have a Seicento too, but only an SX, not a Sporting, so my tyres are different. The Sporting tyres are rare, and expensive.

Changing size is complicated. It will change the speedo reading, and effectively change the gearing, which will effect the performance.

However, on the Seicento you can probably expect tyres to last about 5 years, maybe longer. My last set of front tyres lasted around 5 years, but my rears were still like new, just cracking due to age. If the previous owner had rotated the tyres regularly I could have probably got a few more years out of them. The tread in the centre of the fronts still had loads left though, it was only the edges that got worn.
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - Peter D
Is it April fools day or something. No you can not fit 175/60/13 tyres on a 14" rim you could fit 175/60/14's but the body roll and speedo will be effected slightly, you will be going faster than your speedo indicates. Depending on the J size of the rim you could go up in width and down in profile so what prices are 185/45/14. This will make the steering heavier at lower speeds but may limit the other effects. Also what's "my tyres lasted 5 years" all about, If mine lasted 5 years they would have done 75,000 on a set of fronts. Regards Peter
Hello Peter

Well spotted it should have read 176/60/14, not 175/60/13!

As for the quote on mytyre and mytyres I'd still have to pay a fitter and the going rate round my area is around £10, I wouldnt save much. I have used them in the past though and they are excellent! These are the sites i've been looking at the other sizes on.

I know tyres can last a long time for some people but I do 24k a year and I tend to get punctures that can't be repaired (lovely neighbourhood if you get me).

175/60/14 will increase 30mph to 31.97 mph, 40mph to 42.63 and 70 to 74.6

I shall check the J size, is that the number embossed on the alloy? I used to have alloys that had 195 and 185 fitted, but I didn't know if I could do it with my current ones.

I don't mind about heavier steering at lower speeds, I find the power steering extremely light, so I might prefer it

Could someone assit me with interpreting the J size.

Mine is 5 1/2 J x 14H2-36

What does each bit mean?

kind regards

martine
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - AlastairW
You need to go to www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu....l

Go to the tyre bible section and all will be explained.
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - BB
www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

This should also help with your decision
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - cavi
along the same ines would a change from 14" wheels to 15" alloys affect the speedo on my car? its a 1.7 td cavalier with the isuzu engine L reg
Thats fantastic info on that site. I've decided to go for 185/55/14.

With regard to changing from 14" wheel to 15" alloy it wioud depend on the size of tyre you put on, have a look at the links suggested to me.Also www.mytyre.co.uk has a tyre comparitor that will tell you how much you speedo will be out by.

Kind regards

martine
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - P3t3r
Also what's "my tyres lasted 5 years" all about,
If mine lasted 5 years they would have done 75,000 on
a set of fronts. Regards Peter

Stupid me! Yeah, my car did about 40k miles over those 5 years. It was only the edges that were worn though, so I would imagine longer distances (eg. m/ways) wouldn't wear the edges much more because they mainly go straight. The edges of my tyres wear VERY quickly, my new tyres started to show wear on the edges within a week (<200 miles) of being new.
Fiat Seicento Sporting tyre size change - mjm
If you are getting a real difference in tread wear across the tyre, with the middle of the tyre still having sevaral mm's of depth and the edges near bald then it suggests that the pressures are too low.