VW PD Engined Passat - OldOiler
Just had a 40k (38k actual)service carried out and the dealer tried to get me to pay for a new cam belt (signs of cracking etc.)I rejected this and requested that they contact VW and get authorisation for warranty replacement - they are scheduled for change at 60k.
Any one else had this problem?? with the PD type engines??
K2
VW PD Engined Passat - wonderwheels
I had a 2001 (130) TDi.I traded it in at 60K miles without the timing belt being done.The Dealer can advise with the VIN number of the car.The manual supplied with the car had said 40K,but it is a "hazy" subject.I had heard 40k,60K so I asked the Dealer and they said 60K,which I got put in writing,just to verge on the side of caution.
VW PD Engined Passat - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Depends on the vehicles age.Mine ,100 ps, is December 2001 registered but is deemed to be a 2002 model, with ESP etc.
An amendment to the handbook allows 60k cam belt changes.
That is what I'd done, and very expensive it was too!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Yes it is expensive @ around £400.00, unless you can find a RELIABLE independant - the car by the way is a 2003??
I have written to VW - TRYING TO PHONE IS A WASTE OF TIME, unless you have a handset implant !!!!
K2
VW PD Engined Passat - mark
Hope you get a straight answer, I couldnt when I had covered 40k, the handbook said change at 40k, the dealer said 60k or 80k depending on which one I rang and Milton Keynes would only say its not mileage dependant but is according to inspection at service which none of the VW dealers I used bothered to do.

In the end changed it at 56k at the local Seat dealers (same engine in PD Seats) for £250 all in including new tensioners etc.

I suspect Skoda would do it for less than VW as well and like Seat use genuine VAG parts.

as always

Mark
VW PD Engined Passat - wonderwheels
I used a freephone number when calling VW. I think the number is 0800 711 811.At least if you're on hold,it's free.The added bonus,is you will probably get an answer "there and then"
VW PD Engined Passat - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
On that number you can leave a recorded message. I found they were conscientious about getting back to me.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
VW PD Engined Passat - Ivor E Tower
VW PD diesel cam belt change: Originally there was a 60k change interval, but this was then reduced to 40k (I'm talking about VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy installation here). There are rumours that fairly recentlt the belt material has been changed so that the interval with a new replacement belt is back to 60k, but not yet having reached 40k on my PD engine, I've not had it changed yet. What beats me is how some engines can have 40k change intervals and others can have 90k (or more) intervals. Presumably the belts are made from more-or-less the same materials and are subjected to somilar forces, so why such a huge difference? Now, if anyone knows the name of a good independent VW PD cambelt changer in the GU postcode area, .....
Have sent letter off - got sick of waiting on the end of a phone!!. I'm also after a independent reliable VW service garage in the Swindon area - heard a lot about suspect garages when it comes to cam belt fitting !!!
K2
VW PD Engined Passat - JohnM{P}
Try VW Audi Cars, Bradford on Avon 01225 867708, I've found them helpful and reliable.

(My Golf MK5 105bhp PD has belt change at 80k, according to Service Booklet...)
Thanks, that not too far away has well - I'm still waiting for a response to my letter. ........
K2