BMW Handbrake - bimmer-driver
The handbrake on my dads 2002 325i has recently started sticking on. Its now been to a BMW dealer who says that the handbrake on these has some pads all of their own, and that every now and then your should drive a short way with the handbrake on to clean these as they aren't anything to do with the foot brake and so accumulate crud.
Now I've never heard of this before and neither has my dad and as a result we've now been handed a bill for new pads as he only puts the handbrake on when the cars fully stopped and so the pads were never getting cleaned.
Has anyone else ever heard of this?
BMW Handbrake - Dynamic Dave

Yes. Vauxhall's with rear discs have the same set up - that being a combined rear hub. Shoes on the inside for the handbrake, and pads on the outside for the footbrake.

It's also been suggested to apply the handbrake (gently) while driving along to clean the shoes/hub.
BMW Handbrake - Aprilia
A number of cars use this design, including MB, BMW and GM.

Normally it is not necessary to put the handbrake on whilst driving. Certainly I have serviced MB's of 10-15 years with the original shoes. They do tend to crack up a bit by this time though! I have never had to replace any at less than 10 years. It is generally the inside of the drum that rusts a little.

New shoes are pretty cheap (about £15) so its no big worry, but I'm surprised a car as new as yours would require them.
BMW Handbrake - Dalglish

>>

yes, check your handbook. 1999 and 2001 bmw handbooks state

"To avoid corrosion, apply the parking
brake lightly from time to time when
coasting to a standstill (at a traffic signal,
for instance), provided that it is safe
to do so."

BMW Handbrake - bimmer-driver
Thanks for the replies. I have looked in the handbook and seen the above bit, but when you do apply the handbrake while you're still moving the car makes a beep as if to tell you off. A bit confusing!
BMW Handbrake - Dalglish
but when you do apply the handbrake while you're still moving
the car makes a beep as if to tell you off. A bit confusing!

>>

the warning is there in case you have inadvertently left the brake on, or other such reminders.