Buying a BMW 530d Auto - hatman
I am looking to buy a high mileage automatic 530d (120k miles). It has a very comprehensive all BMW history and I notice from the file that the car was suffering from a loss of power at the end of last year and the main dealer replaced the

EGR Valve

Could anyone enlighten me to what this part is and whether it is common to have it replaced? Apart from this the car has a text book BMW history and has only seen dealers for services

Many thanks

Buying a BMW 530d Auto - Dynamic Dave
EGR Valve >> Could anyone enlighten me to what this part is and whether it is common to have it replaced?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. Does what it says on the tin. Not sure about BMW's, but they have been known to fail on Vauxhalls.
Buying a BMW 530d Auto - blue_haddock
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve - not 100% sure what it does but they do play up at times (not just on Beemers)

I wouldn't call the mileage astronimcally high and if the price is right car seems a sound buy.
Buying a BMW 530d Auto - P 2501
I think the EGR valve reintroduces some of the exhaust stream back into the combustion cycle at certain times in an effort to reduce certain pollutants,NOx ISTR.

Might have been sticking perhaps.I have not heard of them being a problem on this type of car, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Buying a BMW 530d Auto - NARU
I had it replaced at about 70,000 miles on my 330d. It was supposed to fix the clouds of black smoke which came out when the car was started from cold, but did not!

If you've not bought it yet, Note that 530d autos don't give terribly good fuel consumption - they use about a quarter more fuel than a manual version.
Buying a BMW 530d Auto - Dynamic Dave
I had it replaced at about 70,000 miles on my 330d.
It was supposed to fix the clouds of black smoke
which came out when the car was started from cold, but
did not!

It's supposed to aid engine warm up times by pumping hot exhaust gasses back through the combustion chamber.