Rover vs Id cards LOCKED - mr b quality
I am probably going to get slated for saying this but as ID cards could well be on the way at a cost to the taxpayer of between 10-20billion pounds surely some of this money would of beenbetter spent making Rover a viable car producer, by clearing out the deadwood management, investing in new cars thus saving a few thousand jobs and some manafacturing industry in this country.

I know that in the real world EU regulations would prohibit this and that generally most people would hate to see their tax money go to Rover - but personally I would rather this than it wasted on ID cards.

Any thoughts on this ??
Rover vs Id cards - Stuartli
There is absolutely no point in throwing good money after bad by using taxpayers' money to prop up ailing private firms or businesses; as you obviously suspect most of us would raise very strong objections.

As for ID cards, I fail to see what value they would have for me in allegedly being invaluable for security purposes etc except the Big Brother aspect; I suspect that the attempt (already made decision?) to introduce them has more to do with EU regulations than any belief by a spin happy Government that they will prove of all round benefit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Rover vs Id cards - Thommo
Well I run my own business, although I admit I have made the mistakes of being profitable and not employing large numbers of Labour voters but I am all in favour of your proposal as long as I also get to stick my nose in the trough, sorry that should have read am also in line for some targeted financial incentives, after all tax money is free and can be handed out to anybody for anything as long as they vote Labour sorry that should have read as long as their is a sound financial arguement for doing so.

So yeah lets do it.

As for ID cards in the governments own trials iris and fingerprint recognition failed in 1 in 5 cases so thats 20% of a 60 million population, think what fun we all will have.
Rover vs Id cards - teabelly
EDS have the contract for implementing ID cards. I shouldn't worry about them ever actually happening ;-)

Imagine if they got the contract for road pricing. What a palava that would be :-)

I'd recommend a read of Captive State by Georges Monbiot. Great section on the Sky Toll Bridge farce and how the ferries were made unreliable on purpose to make the bridge idea more appealing. I think this is what the govt are up to with making a lot of noise about congestion. They'll mess up traffic flows so people with either accept much higher fuel taxation or other road pricing schemes. Soon as they're agreed to the kybosh will be removed and magically congestion will reduce.
teabelly
Rover vs Id cards - Big Bad Dave
I?ve been carrying one since I got Polish citizenship a couple of years ago. I had nill choice so there was little point in moaning about it. They?re actually surprisingly convenient. They elliminate all that nonsense of supplying various utility bills or proof of ID and wotnot when you want to pick up post / join a video club / register a car / take a mobile phone contract / open abank account / set up a business or anything that involves tortuous, town hall officialdom (of which there is plenty here). You just flash your card which contains all your data. Little things that make life easier. We have to be registered to an address here too. Sounds awful I know but I don?t give it that much thought. Not easy to get fraudulently either, had to supply everything from bra-size to favorite beverage, backed-up with reams of paperwork proof.

When you?re pulled by the police, you have to show it so they know who you are and where you live, not like those scumbags on "Road Wars" who give false name and address and drive off. That will be a thing of the past so worth it just for that I reckon. Forgotten your ID? They?ll throw you in the slammer make no mistake. Whether it will be the same in the UK I dunno...
Rover vs Id cards - local yokel
Of course the UK Govt is so good at procuring IT systems, like the Child Support Agency, Passport Office and worst of all the ATC centre at Swanwick (200% over budget and 7 years late).

No ID card system will ever indictate intent, so the idea that potential terrorists, child abusers or car thieves will be apprehended is a joke.

Even worse is that holders of foreign passports will be just fine, so expect a good deal and no grief from the Bill if you bung US$1000 at an official in say Uzbekistan, or better still, Latvia (now in the EU) for a second passport!
Rover vs Id cards - madf
Polish ID cards may very well work.

UK cards will not HAVE to be carried - say the Government . So if you can't show one, what can anyone do?

They will, however , say the Government save us from : terrorism, Identity theft.

And we will not be compelled to carry them?

Am I living in the real world or is the land that is at the End of the Yellow Brick Road?

Absolute muppetry! imo...

As for saving Rover? Well given that it has absorbed billions from the Government and BMW, why should another billion or three make any difference?

madf

A billion here, a billion there and soon your talking real money...

As for ID cards. The 9/11 terrorists had every passport/visa/stamp they needed, all fully legal and legitimate.

Didn't stop them did it?
Rover vs Id cards - frostbite
But only last night a government minister on TV stated that 'surveys have shown that the majority want ID cards'.

Just where is this vast psychiatric facility with all those people on happy pills?
Rover vs Id cards - Stuartli
>>surveys have shown that the majority want ID cards'.>>

If you say something often enough and for long enough it becomes accepted as fact - even if it's fiction.

New Labour spin means that its most common phrases include: "The vast majority of people believe that.."; "it's widely accepted that.." and "most people are fully in favour..." etc etc etc.

The most accurate is my own: "That the vast majority of people have never been asked, nor are ever likely to be, for their views on (name whatever subject you want)"...:-)

Do you know anyone at all who's been specifically asked, on an official level, if they think ID cards are a good or bad idea?

I thought not.

The same goes for wiping out debt in Africa - a fine idea but almost certainly unworkable in practice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
The trouble with asking the rabble what they think is that they sometimes get it wrong and have to asked again and again until they get it right.

Like EU integration for example...

Rover vs Id cards - mr b quality
As for saving Rover? Well given that it has absorbed billions
from the Government and BMW, why should another billion or three

> make any difference?

I think MG Rover had the talent to build decent motors just not the investment and management behind them to do so. Some money to invest in new platforms with decent management who know about running a succesful car company plus Rovers engineering skills in my book is a alot more appealing use of taxpayers money than ID cards.

I can't see ID cards contributing much to the British economy but a succesful car manafacturing industry would.

Rover vs Id cards - No Do$h
Invoking the time-honoured right of a moderator to lock a thread when it has no hope of staying on a motoring theme (and I sympathise with the anti-ID card views)

Thread locked.
No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk