Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - teabelly
I'm asking as I have managed to get Castrol Valvemaster Plus all over my hands, the petrol forecourt and the petrol cap! I don't know who designed the bottle but they obviously never tried to use it when there are people queueing for the pumps glaring. First I couldn't get it to squirt into the reservoir; then once I had poured it into the filler neck it went everywhere again. I used up all the paper towel from my pump and then started on the pump next door! All the while been glared at by various people waiting and cursing under my own breath. I ended up stinking of it last week when I filled up the last time and I was more successful then. It's a shame as the car does run a lot more smoothly on the stuff. I'm in two minds about whether to quit using additive and go for an unleaded conversion (how much for a triumph vitesse 2 litre one wonders?) or give millers vsp a go as it has a bottle with a long and narrow neck.... and millers can be used in double concentrate without worrying so you can dump the whole lot in 20 litres.
teabelly
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - Roger Jones
Haven't had a problem with Valvemaster dispensing in the 21 months I've been using it. Keep the cap on while you fill the dispensing reservoir. Practice at home. Poisonous? No doubt about that.
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - Adam {P}
I seem to be having an unusual amount of liasons with carcinogenic chemicals recently.

Yesterday, I managed to dispense a large amount of Shell Optimax over my left arm and watch. The watch still stinks of petrol - my hand just about smells like Imperial Leather.

Today, I dropped a can of oil on my shoe (new of course) but managed to rescue most of the oil.

THEN, I check the brake fluid and dab my finger in to check it, only to misjudge the level and plunge my finger right into it.

Not incuding the accident with the foam cleaner this morning.

If ever I get made safety manager of ICI, I'd emigrate if I were you.
--
Adam
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - frazerjp
>>Yesterday, I managed to dispense a large amount of Shell Optimax over my left arm and watch. The watch still stinks of petrol - my hand just about smells like Imperial Leather.

Hey Adam i didnt know you use Shell Optimax i thought you were against using it?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - Adam {P}
I am Frazer - I had no choice;

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31966&...e

Adam
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - mfarrow
Following this thread www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32700&...f I bought 5 litres of IPA and 2.5 litres of cellulose thinners. Managed to spill a load of the cellulose thinners over my foot and trainer when filling up the rip-off halfords can. No harm done. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

I too had difficulty adding additives (Redex) to my tank. Solution was to pour required amount into a small (250ml redex) bottle at home, then add some petrol from a can to dilute it down. No messing at the pumps or waiting for the stuff to all drip out the bottle!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - teabelly
I did practice and had trouble before. I keep the cap on and squeeze the bottle and only a small amount ie enough for about 5 litres can make the effort to get into the reservoir.

I have ordered 3 bottles of millers so I am going to see how I get on with that as an unleaded conversion costs an awful lot of additive.
teabelly
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - holly1
I've had trouble with it too. Managed to get enough into the reservoir with the cap on, but when the reservoir contains enough to add to 20 litres of fuel I end up spilling half of it in my attempts to aim the bottle into the filler neck of the car. I found by adding it 5 litres worth at a time, it doesnt spill out of the reservoir as much as you aim it into the filler neck of the car.

As a rule I always carry a few pairs of disposable gloves, kitchen roll and wet wipes in the car which come in pretty handy when filling up!!

Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - CM
NEVER GOING TO TOUCH AGAIN.

I was in France last week and filled up with diesel on the autoroute (unfortunately at a Carrefour as couldn't make it to the next station) and added some Redex diesel injector cleaner.

Was on cruise control at 80mph and about 40 miles after filling up the car starts pinking and begins to loose power/acceleration. I am still 450 miles from home so plod on slowly.

Manage to get it home and to a garage where 5 of my 6 injectors have packed up. Now I don't really believe in coincidences to that extent so it is either the diesel or the Redex which blew the engine and landed me with a £2k bill.
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - Dwight Van Driver
Could it be, by mistake, you put petrol in instead of diesel?

DVD
Fuel additives - how poisonous?! - David Horn
I once accidentally dispensed 4 litres of GTD Magnatec onto the ground after forgetting to replace the sump plug after draining out the old oil.