Tyre gauges - Tomo
I have three, and none agree (poetic with it). I propose to get the best one I can. Please, what might that be?
Re: Tyre gauges - Julian Lindley
Tomo,

I assume you are referring to tyre pressure rather than tread depth.

This info is taken from HJ's FAQ's!

The Accu-Gauge S60X circular-dial tyre pressure gauge, 0-60psi, costs £13.25, plus £2.95 for a protective rubber cover, and plus carriage. Buy online from www.international-tool.com, or telephone 01604 646433.

I tried to persuade the family to buy me one for Crimble, but being of the fairer sex, got lots of other good stuff instead.

Keep writing - I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

All the best,

Julian
Re: Tyre gauges - Tomo
Thank you Julian!

Direct, to the point, and heart warming.

If I may say, adopting teminology from another pursuit,

73 and 88 de Sandy.

It means very best regards, and being presumptious, a kiss!

Take care, Tomo
Re: Tyre gauges - Andrew Hamilton
If you do 'Search' you will see I got my tyre gauges tested by the local Trading Standards. Nice printed report for all six of my relatives gauges completely free. Mostly accurate to +/-1.5psi or less.
Furthermore! Thanks!

Order now placed. Great thing technology! (Not science, that is something further, which SWMBO did and tends to be a bit over my Clydeside, Gilmorehill sort of head.)

Now, I venture to presume further.....

Boost gauge, manifold pressure gauge or what d'you call it.......?
Re: Tyre gauges - Julian Lindley
Tomo,

Not sure what your other pursuit is, but note that my remarks were a touch ambiguous!

Unambiguously, My wife and two daughters gave me other choice and needed gifts instead of the much desired pressure gauge.

Regards,

Julian.
Re: Tyre gauges - ian (cape town)
Tomo,
Any calibration test SHOULD be done by the local trading standards and/or govt calibration department (Sorry, been away too long to remember thwir proper name!).
Our local guys (bureau of standards) are happy to check any instruments for free - most helpful fellows indeed!
Hopefully some uk-based backroomer will be able to assist you with the right addresses.
Oh dear oh dear oh dear!

I suppose I was reading Julienne or something. Vast apologies.

(The blighters gave me "useful" presents too, to a large extent.)

88 withdrawn, 73 redoubled.

You see, I never thought of myself as being of the fairer sex, only more elegant.

I suppose it's the two minute warning now.

73 de Sandy, a refugee as a guest of tthe Clangers.
Re: Pursuit - Tomo
Another pursuit (after SWMBO and that is mostly in the past, we both regret!) is amateur radio, and has been since before the war.

It has not been totally successful for various reasons over the decades, at the moment because planning problems will not let me put up a big aerial (some call them "antennas" nowadays, not even antennae) and because the authorities that are supposed to preserve the airwaves do not seem to mind any sort of interference as long as it does not affect reception of a very local TV or radio station.

Perhaps the day of the individual is over, and that of the "community" is here. (include me out!).

Is that why we are supposed to creep about at sub 70 speeds, too?
Re: Tyre gauges - Paul
The Halford's 'metal pencil' type guage came out tops for accuracy and value in a RIDE test last year.
Re: Tyre gauges - rogerb
Does anyone else have the trouble I do with such gauges, namely it is extremely difficult to get a good 'seal' ?( I have trouble getting 2 successive readings, from the same tyre, to match! Just seem to let lots of air OUT!!)

I have a S60X, but would get a RDF60X if I were to replace it. This has the same sort of 'chuck' as garage airlines, which 'encloses' the end of the valve, and should be easier to use. (WAS 'on offer' before Christmas, at £14.95 + 4.95P&P)
Re: Tyre gauges - alvin booth
Tomo,
Plese tell....
what is that other pursuit???
Never mind old mate its just the kind of predicament we all get into.
How easy it was in the 70s in the era of boys having long hair to say the wrong thing... still who minds?.
Alvin
Re: Tyre gauges - john fitton
Avoid circular aneroid jobs - the last one I was given was 10 psi out. I have three metal cylinder ones, one of which started life in the walnut-fronted toolbox which slid from below the glove box of my father's old Rover 105S (a fine motor - I remember in those pre 70limit days the instruction book included a missive which went something like 'for sustained speeds above 90 mph inflate the tyres by 4 psi . We do not seem to have progressed much in 40yrs. They all virtually agree with each other.