Parking in Unusual Places - Mattster
The ever-vigilant "parking attendants" have billed me £20 but I would like to appeal. The circumstances are slightly unusual and I wondered what you thought my chances were.

There is a large roundabout in the centre of town, which I parked in. "No chance, then" I hear you say. However, consider the facts first.

1. The centre of the roundabout is tarmacced like a car park. Around this tarmac there is a metal railing. To enable you to get in, there is a proper entrance and an exit. It really does look like a car park. The entrance was gateable once, but the gate is long gone.

2. There are no markings to imply you shouldn't park there.

3. There are no signs telling you it is not a car park.

My supposed offence was (excuse the illiteracy of the programmer):

Parking Attendant 081 has reasonable cause to believe that a Penalty Charge has been incurred because being parked on a rural clearway where stopping is prohibited. Code: 46.

But if stopping is prohibited, why is there a proper entrance built to allow access to this area? Do they expect you to drive round and round without stopping?!

Whaddya reckon?
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Parking in Unusual Places - AR-CoolC
Is it a parking area for the landscaping people who look after the roundabouts to park on?
There are a couple of ones round our way which sound similar, although there is no warning NOT to park there.

Hmmmm
Parking in Unusual Places - Stuartli
Are there any flower beds or similar decoration on the roundabout?

We have a very large roundabout in my town which has extensive floral areas, shrubs and small trees and contains a parking area for staff working there to park their wagons etc. Such work would be very difficult to undertake otherwise.

However, I wouldn't like to be trying to come out of the exit on this particular roundabout which features two lanes of virtually non-stop heavy traffic...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
This roundabout has a thin grass area around the edge, though the car park takes up the majority of the roundabout. It is underneath a flyover, so I suppose it could allow maintenance from underneath of that. Access and exit are very easy as the roundabout also has traffic lights controlling it.

Whatever the intended purpose of the car park, there is nothing to tell me I shouldn't be there. Unless there is a law which states you cannot park in roundabouts, even ones that look like car parks, I don't know what they can accuse me of. The offence of being "parked on a rural clearway where stopping is prohibited" doesn't make sense as "stopping" there is the clear reason for the car park!
--
Mattster
Parking in Unusual Places - SjB {P}
06:00am.
One Sunday last spring.
A truly beautiful morning.
A couple of miles out from Stow-on-the-Wold on the B4077.
Empty road.
Enjoying a great ride on the Hornet.
Prospect of egg & bacon half an hour later with Grandparents.

What the..........?
Slows down to take a second look...

Yes, what looked like a wrecked Saxo was "parked" half way up a tree a couple of metres from the road.

The road is straight at that point, so how on earth it got there defies me. No broken glass or post-head-on-collision debris to be found.
Parking in Unusual Places - Dwight Van Driver
You will need to see the LA Order making the urban (Clearway) (Prohibition on Waiting) Order.

This should indicate where one should not park.

Under a Trunk Road Clearway Order, stopping is restricted to the main carriageway, but the local Orcer may be different.

DVD
Assuming the council are forthcoming, and assuming that the area is indicated as non-parking, does this mean I have no leg to stand on? Surely areas should be clearly marked, as well as being subject to an order?
--
Mattster
Parking in Unusual Places - none
Can't help with your parking problem, but in a similar vein !
The local city council have allowed a large hotel to built on a busy traffic light controlled main road roundabout. Apparently parking is available on the hotel site via a slip road off the roundabout. Coaches, though, are to big to negotiate the slip road. A couple of weeks ago a coach blocked one lane of the roundabout whilst passengers disembarked and gathered their luggage. I suppose that coach operators and drivers will eventually know about this 'blackspot' - but meanwhile !
Parking in Unusual Places - TimW
Yes, what looked like a wrecked Saxo was "parked" half way
up a tree a couple of metres from the road.
The road is straight at that point, so how on earth
it got there defies me. No broken glass or post-head-on-collision
debris to be found.

I've seen that!!

For anyone that knows Chobham in Surrey, it was on the road that the Foxhills Golf Club is on (I think - it was long and straight anyway!)

A Rover of some description was wedged in a tree at the side of the road. Still the right way up! I have no idea how it happened.
Parking in Unusual Places - ndbw
Some roundabouts in the Newcastle under Lyme area are as you describe,the reason there is that a nearby engineering works produces very large transformers and the large vehicles carrying them are able to go straight across and not have to negotiate the roundabout.

ndbw