Scenic2 Towbar - BobbyG
Just got a towbar fitted to my Scenic2 today. Unfortunately I wasn't able to collect it so wife did.
Guy has left a huge steel "beam" in the boot and told her that this had to be removed from under the bumper to fit the towbar. If we ever decide to remove the townar, then this beam should be reinstated.

Beam is roughly same size as bumper so I assume it fitted underneath it and I also assume that that must be the shape of the new towbar.

Has anyone else fitted a towbar to their Scenic2 or know of anyone who has experienced this?
Scenic2 Towbar - Xileno {P}
I would be interested to know what the bar was for. My concern would be that it may compromise safety in the event of a rear end collision.
Scenic2 Towbar - Big Vern
It would be reasonable to suggest that the towbar assembly is a replacement for this beam and that the fitting of the towbar assembly reinstates the structural integrity of the car.

I am impressed that the fitter has had the wit to give it back to you and give you advice to re-fit it should you have the towbar removed. The act of a Professional in my book

I would be more worried had they added more structure to the back of the car compromising the engineered crumple zones.

I cannot however comment specifically on the Renault setup, however would not be unduly worried.
Scenic2 Towbar - lizard
I can comment on the renault set up and yes big vern is spot on, the original beam is removed from behind the bumper and the towbar beam is fitted in its place and quite usual for this model, it would certainly be a good idea to retain the original beam as this must be refitted should you have the tow bar removed, in order to retain the structural integrity of the vehicle
Scenic2 Towbar - BobbyG
Thanks for that reassurance guys. I will keep the bar in case it is needed in future.

Thanks again.