Aussie Speed Cameras & Fines - Cockle
Father in law got a nice present for New Year, a speeding notice from Queensland Police. Apparently they've got a very nice pic of him doing 73kph in a 60kph zone, 41mph in a 36mph, thought he might like to add it to his holiday snaps obviously. Only draw back is they would like 450A$ (£164) for it, no points though, but still makes our fines look pretty good value!!

Mind you he reckons the QPD had it in for him as they random breath-tested him (negative) the day before he flew home, says he's never had a ticket or been stopped in 49 years of driving and then has to fly halfway round the world to break his duck!
Re: Aussie Speed Cameras & Fines - Honest John
I hope he didn't set fire to the country out of spite.

HJ
Re: Aussie Speed Cameras & Fines - Bill Doodson
Id rather pay the fine than have the points.

HJ nice to see you check the site this time of night. Happy New Year to you and the Pandas still going well best £350 we ever spent on a car!

Bill
Re: Aussie Speed Cameras & Fines - ian (cape town)
< >
Careful Bill - I've heard our local authorities are sending details of defaulting Brit tourists to the UK authorities, and points are "awarded" accordingly.
I've heard this story a few times - could be just pub gossip, but maybe some backroomer can confirm if this sort of thing happens.
Re: Aussie Speed Cameras &amp; Fines - pugugly
Why not, hire companies have details of our UK Licences when we rent a car, I have, personally, seen no legistlation that allows this, but in this anti-car country we have created everything is possible...
Re: Aussie Speed Cameras &amp; Fines - John Kenyon
I got caught doing 115kph on a 100kph road in the
middle of nowhere by two Victorian cops driving the only other
car on the Princes Highway somewhere within a 75km radius of
Orbost Vic.

I was leaving the country in four days, and I doubt that the
Victorian government would bother chasing an English tourist
driving a car with Queensland plates, hired in NSW, doing nothing
wrong other than driving less than 10mph over the limit.

I skipped the country, and framed the ticket.

Went back Dec 2000 - and they let me back in, and I've
hired cars from the same company since so I guess no probs.

My advice is to pay the fine if they've tracked you down to
the UK - otherwise wait for your credit card to get debited...

/john
Re: Aussie Speed Cameras &amp; Fines - Cockle
Unfortunately this was a GATSO and QLD plates in QLD hired from a QLD company who have already passed all the details on to the QPD and billed father in law for 35A$ on his credit card for 'administration'. FIL's comment was that he'll pay if they track him down to his UK address as he doesn't want to run the risk, however small, of trouble with immigration next time he visits. Must say in their sort of temperatures and at his age I can't blame him for not wanting to sit around the airport all day!
Out of interest will let you know whether they bother to chase him up.