Vauxhall Ecotec 16v Engines - Advice - Captain Magoo
Not really a question, more advice that people can search the forum for.

Following a recent post and advice from Corsa:

If you have a 16V Ecotec Engine, get the cambelt changed every 40K miles max without fail. At the same time make sure that the tensioners etc and waterpump are changed. The water pump needs to be changed as these are prone to wear and fail causing the belt to break. Vauxhall DO NOT do this as standard practice, despite the fact that my local dealer said they were aware of the problem. Ex fleet cars are the most vulnerable, as maintenance often does not include required belt changes (a friend at well known company containing the words Support and Fleet advised me of this) so even main dealer FSH could be worthless. Cost: £210 indy or £400 plus for vauxhall. Make up your own mind.
Vauxhall Ecotec 16v Engines - Advice - Dynamic Dave
I think the advice given varies from dealer to dealer. When I used to own Vauxhall's with cambelts, my regular dealer always asked when the water pump was last changed, and advised it to be changed at the same time as the belt.
Vauxhall Ecotec 16v Engines - Advice - Big Vern
£410!?!

I got a Timeing belt fitted by Vx as soon as I bought my ex fleet 1.8 Vectra by a dealer for £160 - 180 3 years ago if memory serves me right. More recently I bought the belt kit and a new water pump from a Vx dealer and had it fitted at an indepndant. Parts ~ £70 - £90 Fitting ~£50. Can pull the recipts to check at the weekend.

I suppose I was not getting them done at a London dealer but I still find the £210 & £410 prices exccesive given my experiance.

Water pump was done for the first time @ 110k Was ok but worth doing for piece of mind.
Vauxhall Ecotec 16v Engines - Advice - Captain Magoo
Big Vern,

As Dave said, it seems to vary from dealer to dealer. I originally paid £180 too, but tensioners not replace, resulting 11 months and 3000 miles later in huge diesel like rattly sounds from under the bonnet.

Advised by bods in the Back Room and others to change the whole lot again, including water pump. £400 from new Vx dealer was a verbal quote and 'could be more once we've looked at it'. Questioned both new and original Vx dealer about changing the whole lot, but both said that although it's a known problem, it's optional and not recommended. They obviously don't want people to know there's known problems with their cars.

Should also have mentioned that £210 quote included proper full, full service, which goes some way towards the £70 more than you paid. Forgot this mid rant I'm afraid.

Problem is now sorted. Thanks to decent advice here :)