Which Car???? - Susie
Don't know if anyone can help! I'm looking to buy my first car of my own (have driven parents thus far). It's going to ahve to do motorway mileage so I don't want anything as little as a Ford Ka because if anything happened I'd rather be in something more substantial. I was thinking of a 206 or a Clio but both of these are being relaunched and I tend to think I'd be better waiting for the new ones if those are the ones I pick. Alternatviely I might be able to go to a Mini, a base level Megane and a base level Golf.

The otehr reason for needing a bigger car is the town imleage iwll involve lugging about vast amounts of rugby kit. As long as the seats go down I think I'll be ok but the club used to have a huge mitsubishi truck for this purpose. Should I go for petrol or diesel? I've always driven diesels (first a 206 then the C3) so know that they're slighly more economical (and I will be doing potentially a reasonable amount of travelling) but will it be worth the extra cost?

I am style conscious and despair at my dad's idea of a honda jazz (for grandpas). I also don't like his C3 because I feel like Noddy in it. I'm planning to buy new and so want to like whatever I spend my hard earnt money on!

Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks
Which Car???? - school boy
Megane or golf sound good though the insurence might be high so go for a diesel as this might be slightly reduced
Which Car???? - DavidHM
I'm guessing that the budget here is about £12k. I take it that the priorities are for motorway cruising, a bit of space, five doors (?), good handling, a nice bit of kit and decent performance.

I'm also guessing that brand image is important. That might rule out a Skoda Fabia vRS for you, which is a shame, because it gives 55 mpg, astonishing performance, decent handling and a fair bit of space in an easy to drive package for £11k.

A diesel is a good idea if you're doing above about 15k miles per year, or if you just like them - it's financially neutral from about 5k - 15k p.a.

Another alternative - again it's a bit boring but very good - is a Focus. No style though, particularly the new model, I'm afraid :-(

A Mégane should come with a huge discount - under £12k for a 130 bhp Dynamique, which is very well equipped and very fast and economical. An equivalent Golf would easily be £3k more. However there are question marks over the reliability of the Mégane, which is the only thing stopping it from being a blindingly good buy. It's safe, too, though not especially spacious for its size.

If you want a MINI, avoid the diesel - it's a bit slow unfortunately.