306 Timing belt - stephen095
Hi all,

Does anyone know the mileage at which it is recommended to change the timing belt on a pug 306 1.8XS 2000 V? I've had a few conflicting suggestions already: 74k, 80k etc. My cars currently on 66k so I imagine it will be due soon?!

Cheers
Stephen
306 Timing belt - tony@tooting
The latest book I have says 80,000, 48,000 under "adverse conditions". Make sure you get a price first, as 16 valves are a three hour job. Also see if it would be wise to replace the bottom pulley, as some Peugeots have a habbit of them breaking up.

Regards Tony
Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for this. What would you class as 'adverse conditions'? I do quite a lot of motorway miles, so would you say sooner rather than later for a change?

Cheers
Stephen
306 Timing belt - Andrew-T
I think with 'modern' cars, motorway miles are considered to be the least harmful to the engine. 'Arduous' means lots of stop-start driving in hot, dusty, hilly conditions.
306 Timing belt - blue_haddock
This engine is well known for the cambelt snapping long before the recommended interval so i would say to get it done pronto. Also get the tensioner replaced at the same time.

Arduous also means driven to within an inch of it's life regularly which sporty pugs often are.
Thats kind of what I thought too, its just nice to have it confirmed by someone else! Ta very much.
306 Timing belt - blue_haddock
if you need any advice on all matters pug come over and have a look at www.psooc.com

Lots of advice and friendly peeps
I think I will! Thanks very much, maybe chat to you over there too.
306 Timing belt - ihpj
As a rule of thumb you should *always* err on the side of caution...especially if it's a vehicle you've just bought. The cost of replacing the belt, pulley (and even the water pump?) is insignificant when compared to the cost of a 'new' engine/engine rebuild after failure of said part.

But given the mileage and (poor) reputation that PUGs have - get it done man then you don't have to worry about.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
306 Timing belt - Adam {P}
Which cars have the highest change interval for a timing belt? The highest I know of are Ford with 100,000 miles. Anyone know a higher one?
--
Adam
306 Timing belt - SjB {P}
Which cars have the highest change interval for a timing belt?
The highest I know of are Ford with 100,000 miles. Anyone
know a higher one?
--
Adam

Five pot Volvos (even predating Ford ownership) also have 100k intervals* (or eight years, whichever comes first), but the original cambelt on a friend's 850R was still fitted last August at 120,000 miles. He sold the car a month or so ago, still on the original belt.

*Depending on whether you have a metric or imperial market handbook, because the change interval is adjusted to make a nice round number; the UK spec V70 2.4T that I imported from Holland originally came with a Dutch owner's manual that quotes 160,000km (99.2k miles in approximate numbers) or eight years, whereas the imperial one that Volvo UK supplied on request quotes 96k miles or eight years; the latter mileage seems to be based simply on 12k per annum multiplied by eight.
306 Timing belt - Adam {P}
That's why I like Volvos ;-)
--
Adam