National Tyres oil changes - Sprice
Noticed that they are doing good offers on oil and filter changes at the moment.

Its £10 for mineral, £15 for semi-synthetic, and £20 for fully synthetic. Looks like they've knocked a fiver of the price of each, but only until 31st May (but they sometimes seem to have these offers on-going!)

www.national.co.uk/main/offers.asp?offer=specials%...p
National Tyres oil changes - DavidHM
Well they used to be a fiver cheaper anyway... that said I like 'em and would recommend them, although I'm using Peugeot Express Fit for everything at the moment, because the franchise happens to be just as cheap as the independents. If that weren't the case, I'd go back to them in a shot as I've always been very happy with everything they've done for me.
National Tyres oil changes - smokie
Used National for the 3.0 Omega 2 weeks back. You can't get cheaper than that! I couldn't even buy 6 (I think!) litres of fully synth for £20... Best thing was, no queue either!
National Tyres oil changes - ihpj
Yeah they do seem to have dropped by a fiver - neat.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
National Tyres oil changes - machika
What brand of oil do they use?
Last time I was there, Duckhams.
National Tyres oil changes - machika
Thanks.
National Tyres oil changes - David Horn
Will Peugoet Express Fit do Citroens?
It is Duckhams yeah Hypergrade is mineral, QXR is semi-synthetic, but the fully synthetic is something called visco 7000 if anyone can shed light on what brand this is (presumably Duckhams and 5w40?)

The link above shows more, click on actual ad to enlarge!

For purpose of above, don't see why Peugoet Express Fit wouldn't do Citroens.
National Tyres oil changes - CJay{P}
Is this oil change ok for a 1998 Mondeo 1.8?
Jesse - yes, Express Fit will do Citroëns. I think my local one is particularly cheap, so I am definitely not saying that all Express Fits are this good value.

CJay - yes, it should be okay although the factory spec oil is I think 5W30. If your local Ford RapidFit is reasonably priced (some are dirt cheap, some are extortionate) I'd think very seriously about going there though.
National Tyres oil changes - mark999
Visco 7000 is BP's Mobil1 equivalent
National Tyres oil changes - Marky Mark
They are also doing 2 for 1 on Barum & Avon tyres..but their website shows tyres my size at £46 but after valves, fitting, insurance the price increases to £77 fitted (ok, not bad for 2 tyres) so not quite the bargain the advert would have you believe.

MM
National Tyres oil changes - Motormark
Just tried to book in a '98 E240 but told dont do Mercs most BMWs or late fords. Excuse that they dont carry filters or suitable oil?
Am I been had!!!!!!!!
National Tyres oil changes - Dalglish
98 E240 but told dont do Mercs most BMWs

>>

if the e240 takes more than 5 litres, they may refuse. nationa's offer is limited by engine size and oil quantity.

kwikfit used to do a similar but slightly costlier deal using mobil1. however, it worked out very economical for bigger engines that needed 6 litres or more, as there was no limit on the quantity or engine size. they used to order a filter for your bmw/merc car if it was not in stock.

National Tyres oil changes - doctorchris
I know it's obsessional but I do like the sump plug washer to be changed when the oil is changed, assuming the car has one. It is unlikely National would carry all the different types needed but if you took one in do you think they would bother to use it?
National Tyres oil changes - ihpj
I do like the sump plug
washer to be changed when the oil is changed

>>
I think most of us would as its 'best practice' IMHO. Don't see it being a major problem although I know the staff can get a bit 'funny' if you ask them to do anything over and above the basics since they'll cite company policy, indemnity insurance and future complaints etc...

-----
National Tyres oil changes - Stuartli
I've used National exclusively for oil and filter changes (plus half-price MOTs) for my VW Bora since I got it in May 2003 - the branch I go to does a very thorough job and the work takes at least half-an-hour.

In addition I get an oil container filled with around half-a-litre of oil for topping up purposes (although this has never been required yet); the staff are quite happy about giving it to me, pointing out that the cost covers up to five litres of oil and the Bora takes four-and-a-half litres.

In my case you can't buy the oil and filter for that price even at trade and you still have to do the work yourself and then dispose of the oil and filter safely.

I'm still charged the original £15 (semi-synthetic) although, to be fair, even at £20 it would still be very reasonable.

In fact I wonder why so many people pay £79 to £99 for so called services at main franchises or servicing centres, when all that seems to be done is an oil and filter change, perhaps spark plugs and air filter with the rest all being "checks".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PS

As with all these type of offers, you are mainly dependent on the ability and approach of the staff - National is a franchise although standards do seem to be pretty good wherever you go.
Didn't realise they would give you some top-up oil if you had less than 5 litre in the engine, unless they are just doing you a favour? I will certainly ask when I go there, makes it an even better deal!
National Tyres oil changes - Bill Payer
>> I do like the sump plug
>> washer to be changed when the oil is changed
>>
I think most of us would as its 'best practice' IMHO.
Don't see it being a major problem although I know
the staff can get a bit 'funny' if you ask them
to do anything over and above the basics since they'll cite
company policy, indemnity insurance and future complaints etc...
-----

Do they drain it out? Many places suck it out through the dipstick tube now.
>>Do they drain it out?>>

They always do in my case and it's not easy as the oil filter is housed facing into the air dam.

Sucking it out through the dipstick tube has been around for a long time - I always avoided such outlets as it was obvious that there was always a lot of muck left behind...:-)
National Tyres oil changes - MichaelR
Great, unless you drive the UK's best selling car - the offer doesn't include Zetec engines.

I could understand if I had a Ferrari or something exotic, but a Ford with a Zetec engine? It's run of the mill stuff.
>>It's run of the mill stuff.>>

Actually it's not and National is quite correct.

If you check the viscosity range for your Zetec engine it is different to the type used by National - use the wrong oil and you could end up with sticking valves etc. It's well documented as well.

My son used to have a Fiesta with the 1.4 Zetec engine and always bought the correct oil and did the oil and filter change himself.