Fuel pumps? - y2k+4
Okay, I accept this is going to make me seem really dumb, but anyway...recently I've noticed that the fuel pumps at Sainsbury's have been sort of 'snapping back' a lot (I don't know the technical term, but when you pull the release trigger, and it jsut doesn't let you have nething till you ease off).

It happens only at Sainsbury's which I think's a bit weird, and I've noticed the gauge never seems to go up as much as I'd expect (25 litres of fuel ought to make the gauge up to about 1/2, as it does normally I'd have thought...though I accept this could be psycho-somatic). Also it's really time consuming when the only way to get it out is by holding it so the thing clocks up slowly...

Is it just me? Am I being weirdly stoopid or something, cause normally at other garages I'm fine? Or has anyone else noticed this? Could it actually be a problem with this one garage?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong area, couldn't decide if it was technically techincal...
Fuel pumps? - pastyman
Hi there,
Are you pulling the hose across the car and stretching the nozzle into the fuel filler at a angle ?, this could be blocking the air vent at the end of the nozzle causing it to click off prematurely.

pastyman...
Fuel pumps? - y2k+4
No, like I said, I don't have this problem in my local garage, or in any others...just this one Sainsbury's place...lol
Fuel pumps? - Civic8
Nothing to do with air.Depends on pump feed pressure.Also the angle of filler pipe to tank.Ie if the fuel is being pushed in against tight angle of tank feed pipe.Fuel is backsplashed against nozzle..which has auto cut out..Idea is to prevent overfilling..Though it is standard for fuel filler to cut out on splashback.Depending where you are in country. some supply larger vehicles which will mean larger nozzles and higher pressure fuel supply
--
Steve