Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - quadmyre
Can anyone shed any light on an oil pressure problem that's causing me serious hair loss.

The engine in question is the 3.0 V6 lump (ES9J4) fitted in this instance to a Peugeot 406 but also used in some Citroens and (I believe) Renaults.

It has developed a problem of late whereby it has no oil pressure upon starting. It's been in the garage several times and diagnosed variously as a dented sump fouling the strainer (dent removed worked OK for a week), clogged strainer (strainer removed cleaned refitted worked OK for 2 days). This has started happening shortly after major work following a cambelt failure - I had no problems previously of this nature. The oil pump has been examined and is not showing signs of wear.

Since it failed last time I have myself had the sump off and checked and cleaned the strainer (didn't seem at all dirty) - refilled it and could not get oil pressure. I subsequently tried unscrewing the oil filter and turning the engine over - oil did eventually start pouring out and on retightening the filter I got oil pressure back. I then ran the car about fine, parked it up, tried it again 4 hours later - no oil pressure!

This problem only ever occurs when the car has been left for a while - I have never lost oil pressure when driving. There is no oil leakage from anywhere. The oil filter is new and an original part. The fault has occurred with two diffent oils - the one the garage used and the stuff I put in - both reasonable quality 10w/40 which is what's been used previously with no problems.

I'm thinking new oil pump next but it's an expensive mistake to make if it's not that. Any suggestions from anyone with experience with this lump gratefully received!
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - Clanger
The symptoms are those of a faulty non-return valve in the oil filter. You say the filter is new but it must be worth swapping it in case the new filter is faulty.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - Number_Cruncher
It could be that the pressure relief valve (possibly part of the pump assembly?) is sticking open for some reason.

number_cruncher
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - Aprilia
It could be that the pressure relief valve (possibly part of
the pump assembly?) is sticking open for some reason.
number_cruncher

Yup - that would be my first port of call too!
Well here's an update. I've just replaced the oil filter with another new (genuine pug) one and taken her out for a little blast about (after topping the oil up again). I stopped at a petrol station and she restarted OK afterwards, so I've now parked up and am going to wait a few hours and see if the fault recurs.

Thanks all for the advice - we'll see what happens next. Interestingly the pressure relief valve was found to have been sticking when the car was in bits earlier this year and was supposedly fixed - whether this is still the problem or whether the filter was faulty / blocked we will soon see.
Well here we are a couple of hours later - just went and started it - no oil pressure. Guess I'll be biting the bullet on a new pump then....
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - Aprilia
What about the pressure relief valve? If the oil pump has been checked and found not to be worn then replacing it would be just a waste of money.
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - Civic8
As has been said.Why replace oil pump?.I agree with the pressure valve problem. I would have that replaced before I did anthing else!
--
Steve
Am I right in thinking pressure relief valve is integral to the pump? If so the pug parts CD I have only shows a part no for the whole pump (1001 88) - it looks unlikely I'd be able to get a component part for it. I'm thinking probably that seeking a second hand / recon part for this is probably asking for trouble?
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - dieselnut
When you say 'there is no oil pressure', are you refering to the oil pressure warning dash light or a pressure guage.
It could just be a faulty pressure switch if the former.
Definitely no oil pressure. I only have dash light to go on as no guage but the switch was one of the first things to be eliminated and the fact that I can get it to work by effectively priming the pump means the switch must be working OK. It also sounds rough without pressure which makes me turn it off quickly!
Pug 406 V6 Wierd Oil Pressure Problem - Chas{P}
It is all one part bolting onto the end of the block with the crankshaft going through.

Part number I make it is 1001 C8. Good luck in finding one.
Just phoned local Pug dealer - part is £161.06+VAT and you're right on the part no. Ouch. Not in stock anywhere in the country either. I knew I should have bought a 1.1 Fiesta!