First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - live4music
Hello,

Was just wondering what you people would recommend as a first car...

Hope to be able to buy something for £3500 max in a few months (when I pass my test / still a few more pennies to save lol...)

Have been looking at:

VW Polo Year 2000 face-lift model.

Really nice looking cars IMO with a nice interior, good image, good reliability & strong residuals. Cheap insurance if I get the 1.0.

snipurl.com/en3c

Seat Ibiza Year 2000 face-lift model.

Based on the Polo so good build quality and strong residuals. Again would be the face-lift model which is nice to look at, with a sporty image. Similar high quality interior to the Polo. The only problem is that they all seem to be 1.4's so the insurance would be more expensive than the Polo (but not as expensive as a 1.4 Polo hmmm)

snipurl.com/en3g

VW Lupo Year 2000 / 2001

VW badge, nice build quality, almost identical dash to the Polo which is nice. Cheap insurance, and cheaper to buy than the Polo but perhaps a bit girly?

snipurl.com/en3i

Peugeot 206 Year 1999 / 2000

Nice looking car, but somehow the interior looks very inferior next to those of the VW group. Cheaper to buy, & nice to drive (except gear stick :))

snipurl.com/en3k

Have also thought about the 106/Saxo but I remain to be convinced!

I've been thinking about it for quite a while now and these seem to be the main models I'm considering. I?m quite image conscious (!) and want something which looks quite sporty but without being ?chavish? (I absolutely HATE the Burberry cap brigade with their modified cars?. saxo vtr anyone? if you know what I mean lol!?) Any mods I made to my car would be limited to a smart set of alloys and sports grill!

What do you all think of these cars as a first buy? Which would you pick? Any other recommendations? Would be great to hear your opinions.
Is there an edit button cus I've messed that right up....
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - DavidHM
No edit button but a moderator will be along with a link to tinyurl.com although Autotrader doesn't really like linking anyway.

{Yep ;o) - DD.}
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - DavidHM
Sorry to be jump in with a "none of the above" but what about the Skoda Fabia.

It's based on the later Polo, has better handling and ride than most of the above (I'm not a huge fan of the 206 but it probably just edges it in this respect), is likely to be the safest (as it's the newest design) and has a better customer satisfaction record than the VWs, largely due to better dealers.

It's also more spacious and practical than the

Admittedly at this end of the market you probably won't be bothering with main dealers too much, but if you were to, the Skoda is likely to have the best.

Downsides to the Fabia are that the 1.4 8v engine is a bit thirsty, and that's about it.

The 1.0 Polo/Ibiza etc. are so slow as to be almost dangerous; an ex-girlfriend had a brand new one when we were together and although it was a very nice car in general, overtaking was all but impossible because there was virtually no acceleration. At the time, I drove a 1.3 Fiesta with 60 bhp and the Polo still felt appallingly slow.

I've just read that you're image conscious though, so you may discount everything I've read. Bear in mind though that those who would laugh at you for driving a Skoda won't recognise what a Fabia is, and those who recognise a Fabia will understand that it's a very good car indeed.

I think you're right to rule out the Saxo and 106; I'm not a fan of either as they're flimsy, cramped and have an awful driving position, plus a lot of them have been abused. Finally, make sure to declare any modifications like alloy wheels to the insurance company - and get a quote for them to be included before you buy your policy - as the effect can be dramatic with some companies (but by no means all).
Yeah the only thing that attracts me to the 206/Saxo is that I'd get a newer one for my money, and there is plenty of choice out there.

Hadn't thought about the Fabia actually...
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - bimmer-driver
If I were you I'd look at Vauxhall Corsas. I've got one and love it, and they make great first cars. For starters the 1.0 is no-where near as slow as a 1.0 litre Polo (58bhp versus 50bhp), drive just aswell if not better, are dirt cheap to run ( 50 mpg and group 1 insurance) and are cheap to buy in the first place (a place near me is selling 51-reg club models with remote locking and PAS for 3599GBP, all with less than 30.000 miles). They are also proving just as reliable as most others in the class, and when something does go wrong they're cheap to mend as all garages know them.
Also IMHO they are just as trendy as the others you're looking at.
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - smokie
19yo daughter moved from an old Fiesta (which she learnt in) to an X reg Ibiza Cool (which we've had for maybe 6 months now).

I like it, seem reasonably well built, nippy, economical etc and she likes not having the same as all her mates... No unexpected problems to tell of yet, except a recent recall to do with brake hoses, which was dealt with just fine.
Yeah I don't know anyone with an Ibiza so that's certainly one thing which attracts me as well.
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - cheddar
Agree re Corsa, what about Fiesta and Ka, probably the most fun to drive, great handling, Ka has 1.3 engine which is not powerful though gutsy so has a lot of get up and go, does not have to be reved to perform, likewise 1.3 Fiesta though 1.25 16v is more refined and sporty.
Not too keen on the Fiesta, and even though I like the Ka, I wouldn't buy one because my mum and brother both already have one and I want something different!
Out of the Polo and the Ibiza, which would you go for? Say both 1.4 year 2000 model, with the Ibiza costing about £500 less maybe.
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - bimmer-driver
If you go for the Ibiza check the exhaust very carefully, as according to the CBC its a major job to replace it. Even so, I'd choose it over the Polo if you put a gun to my head.
Still rather have a Corsa hough :-)
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - y2k+4
I learnt in a Focus, and tbh, now I've got my own, I wouldn't go back. My 1.6 was £3,600 for a 51-reg with 90000 miles (still sweet tho). My point is you could easily get a 1.4 (more economical and lower insurance) or even a 1.6 for with an average miles, that's 1999/2000 age-ish for your budget.

If we HAVE to consider only the Polo/Ibiza/Lupo/206, then my money goes to the Ibiza. The 206 is nice, but the interior and gearbox really ruined it for me (looked at them when considering Fiona), and I'd have an Arosa/Ibiza over the Lupo/Polo - for the pure and simple reason they're comparative bargains, with better specs (you'll find most Polos of the age lacked remote central locking, which almost ALL Ibiza's got).

A point to note, however, is that equivalent SEAT's (irrelevant of insurance groupings) always seemed to have higher insurance premiums than their VW counterparts...
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - Adam {P}
I agree with y2k903+873 carry the 3.

However, don't get a 1.4 Focus. The car is too big for that engine. If you can afford the insurance then a 1.6 would definitely be worth considering.
--
Adam
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - y2k+4
I thought you might. :p Yeah, I tried the 1.4 for the obvious reasons...perhaps you should also advise him the saloon versions are cheaper...
A wiseguy eh?

;-)

Apart from being far more stunning, roomy and quieter, saloons are of course cheaper because everyone realises they are so nice, they don't want to drive them in case they crash them hence, residuals are low.

Can you tell I'm trying to get out of writing my dissertation?
--
Adam
Are Rover 25's worth a look?
No. A completely different class to the cars you're on about..

...the stupid class at the dark end of the corridor.
--
Adam
lol ok! What about the Renault Megane?
I'm not too hot on the Megane myself. If you don't like Focus saloons then you'll love the Megane ;-)

I'm not too sure what kind of a Megane you'd get for 3,500 - maybe a good one, maybe not. The size of cars you're suggesting is varying a lot though from a Lupo to a Megane. If it were me, and I stress, it would seem I have a crap taste when it comes to cars, then I'd be focusing on your original choice of a Polo or Ibiza.

The Ka is great fun but let's be honest, any first car is fantastic and having nothing to compare it against, I think you'll love whatever you decide to get which is why I think this all boils down to reliability and running costs.
--
Adam
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - Altea Ego
Go for the Ibiza, its a good looking well sorted little car with class, style, cred, getupngo, and reliability
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - Robin Reliant
I ran a Lupo diesel for two years and 88000 miles as a driving school car with no major problems. The car is still in use today by another instructor and has another 50 thou on the clock. Very impressive build quality, no rattles from the trim or clunks from the transmission and the engine was as sweet when I sold it as when new.

Downside is expensive parts and my local dealer appears not to be the only VAG agent who leaves a lot to be desired. Also, like Polo's the pedal box on these has been known to collapse so that is worth getting checked out if you decide to buy one of these.

The Seat Arosa is the same car but a grand cheaper, don't know how it fares on quality though.
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - MichaelR
I too would be tempted to look at a Focus or a Citroen Xsara instead. The other cars are too small, too slow and you will soon tire of them once you get the hang of driving. Something like a Focus will last you longer, and a Focus will proove to be more reliable than the cars you've listed as well.

Insurance is less than you think - the 1.6 Zetec is only Group 5 or 6. Even a 2.0 is just Group 8 insurance.
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - carl_a
Toyota Yaris, Skoda Fabia or Nissan Micra is you want the a really new car.
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - andyconda
A 1.4 Ibiza would be the best choice, for the reasons mentioned already: value, equipment, build quality etc.

Definitely don't get a 1.0 Polo - it's way too slow!

If you're thinking of a 106 (you said you were waiting to be convinced), they're not as bad as you suggest! The design is admittedly old, but prices are very reasonable, demand is always strong when the time comes to sell it on, and the car is a lot of fun to drive. They may be popular with the "chav" brigade, but there also still a lot of nice unmolested cars out there. My mum bought an X-reg 1.1 about a year ago, and she loves it. For your budget, you could probably get an 51 or 02 plate. Just make sure you get a decent spec one with power steering and remote locking, and make sure your feet can cope with the narrowly-spaced pedals...
First Car... Polo V Ibiza V Lupo V 206 - mountainkat
A lot depends on how long you want to keep the car. If it's a long-term buy then I'd forget the French cars, generally speaking their build quality/durability isn't as good as competitors. Fiesta is a good bet - cheaper to buy than VW & just about as reliable, cheaper to service too. Corsa is o.k - ride quality, handling & build quality not quite as good as Fiesta though. Ibiza - have only driven latest generation & wasn't really impressed, girlfriend went for the latest shape Fiesta instead, much better to drive.

Best thing to do is go along to a couple of car supermarkets & test-drive them all, you'll easily clear a few from your list as we did.

good luck
Thanks.