central tyre 'precision' balancing - dylan
Got vibration through steering (and seat) on my Yaris at around 65-70 mph. I hoped that when the front tyres were changed (and wheels balanced) this would go away, but it didn't. Wheels are 15" alloys, btw.

I noticed a Central Tyre place near my work today. Rang them and they do a 'standard' balance for £6.80 a wheel, and a 'precision' balance for £10.50. Apparently the precision balance is based on the position of the wheel nuts rather than the centre of the wheel, or something like that.

Anyone know anything about this 'precision' balancing? Is it likely to give better results?

central tyre 'precision' balancing - Bill Payer
From your description I'm guessing that 'precision' is a way of charging extra for those cars that don't have centre holes in their wheels, such as my (recently sold) 406 Exec.
To balance those, they have to use an adaptor which goes in the wheel stud holes and then has to be centered (I guess that's the 'precision' bit). It's a bit of a pain to do, and I found many fast-fit places (and my local Peugeot dealer) denied they had the equipment, although I've been assured that they all do have it.

I would imagine you'd be a *lot* better using the wheel centre, than trying to line up an adaptor on the stud holes.

central tyre 'precision' balancing - cheddar
Try getting the rear wheels balanced, out of balance rear wheels can cause a steering shake that you would swear was the front wheels.
central tyre 'precision' balancing - Dynamic Dave
Try getting the rear wheels balanced, out of balance rear wheels
can cause a steering shake that you would swear was the
front wheels.

As well as the vibrations you're feeling through your seat.
General rule of thumb is that if the steering wheel is vibrating, it's the front wheels out of balance, & if you can feel the vibration through the car, it's the rear wheels out of balance. Goes without saying if you've got both steering wheel and car vibrations, then get all 4 tyres balanced.
central tyre 'precision' balancing - Dave N
I've had new tyres fitted and balanced, gone down the road, and experienced vibration. Gone back, they strip the weights off, and rebalanced with different weights in completely different places. Maybe I should have gone for the 'precision' balance. Suspect the second balance was done by someone with more precision, rather than some fancy precision machine.
>> Try getting the rear wheels balanced, out of balance rear
wheels
>> can cause a steering shake that you would swear was
the
>> front wheels.
As well as the vibrations you're feeling through your seat.
General rule of thumb is that if the steering wheel is
vibrating, it's the front wheels out of balance, & if you
can feel the vibration through the car, it's the rear wheels
out of balance. Goes without saying if you've got both steering
wheel and car vibrations, then get all 4 tyres balanced.

I repeat, out of balance rear wheels can cause a steering shake that you would swear was the front wheels.
central tyre 'precision' balancing - Roger Jones
Front- or rear-wheel drive? Prop shaft and its joints can cause vibrations too.
central tyre 'precision' balancing - SjB {P}
It's also worth adding that cold or slightly flat spotted (through standing still over time) tyres often vibrate more at speed. I used to leave work, and within a mile be cruising at 70MPH on a dual carriageway. Each of the three cars I drove during this employment would shimmy the steering wheel for the next few miles before normal good balance returned.

If, however, I had been out and about, popped in to the office for a few minutes, and then returned to the dual carriageway still with warm tyres, no shimmy would ensue.

There have been countless other times, cars, and locations where I have also noticed this behaviour.
central tyre 'precision' balancing - Civic8
Could even be out of round tyres.Ie tread not in line all the way round tyre?.Has been a few around lately. Will give same effect except balancing wont cure.
--
Steve
central tyre 'precision' balancing - Bromptonaut
I'd check the rears carefully. You don't say how old the car is but some fwd cars driven light load barely wear rear treads. Instead the casings fail.

Rear tyre life on our BX was around five years then you'd get vibration like out of balance only there'd be a dirty great bulge in the tread of one/both rears.
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like getting the rears balanced might be a good first step.
Let us know how you get on.
Update: Finally got around to getting the rear tyres looked at. I asked for them to be balanced, but once the tyre guy had the wheels off, he called me over to show me how one of the tyres was out of shape. He told me to 'feel' the problem by rubbing my hand over the tyre. At first I couldn't feel anything amiss, then I did seem to feel an indentation in the tyre, as if a small part had 'sunk'. Anyway, replaced both rear tyres and no vibration at all now, which is excellent.

Thanks again for all the advice.
central tyre 'precision' balancing - turbo11
Had similar problem some years ago when i fitted cheap"n" cheerful tyres to my passat.In less than a year they went out of round.Replaced them with Dunlops-no problems
central tyre 'precision' balancing - BazzaBear {P}
Had a similar issue when I bought my Mitsubishi Colt a few years back. When I had a closer look at the rears, despite having loads of tread they were actually perishing.
We came to the conclusion that they were the original supplied tyres, on a 10 year old car :eek:
(Couldn't prove that conclusively of course, but they were the manufacturer supplied brand and matched the spare which I don't think had ever been used)
Had similar problem some years ago when i fitted cheap"n" cheerful
tyres to my passat.In less than a year they went out
of round.Replaced them with Dunlops-no problems

In my case the warped tyre was a Dunlop SP 9000 supplied new with the car. I guess you can probably get a faulty tyre with any brand. Or maybe it got damaged somehow.