Insurance - colin
My car insurance will be due early in Jan. I am a wrinkly with full prot n/c bonus. Comprehensive cover for owner only needed (i.e. one driver). Have insured through Royal Sun Alliance for some years, by far the best quote. Just checked the much vaunted AA and found the quote is twice the price. Last year found Saga not competitive.

Any suggestions, please, you guys?
Re: Insurance - Tomo
Tesco is reported very good by some, not least in respect of "difficult" (ie desirable, for which an exaggerated premium can be extorted) cars.

However, we have been with Norwich Union, through a broker, for some years and were well supported in a tail end shunt inflicted by an awkward character (he argued, saying I "stopped too quickly" at a pedestrian crossing!). I might change for a big saving, but not for a small percentage. Just a thought.

It is odd that some firms' quotes can change from day to day. What determines on which day we are a greater or smaller risk for a year to come?
Re: Insurance - Tomo
Not so much of the ageism, please.

I'm 70+, not very wrinkly, and can catch Toad's tail!
Re: Insurance - colin
Thanks to all. I should have said that my car is bog standard. Also that i'm in postcode SL4, which is regarded as greater london I suppose.

What annoyed me about AA was that they came up with a quote which they said was the best then, when I said it wasn't good enough, dropped it by about 40 quid!
Re: Insurance - John
I've got 2 cars with Tesco as they were cheapest. Having just had a no fault claim with Tesco they were hard work to deal with. I did all the chasing up to get the car repaired. They dont provide "service". You get what you pay for perhaps.
Re: Insurance - Jud
I've just reinsured with Norwich Union Direct , Churchill was a close second followed by Saga, my previous insurance still competitive on price was Whatcar magazine which uses Royal sunalliance , i had a screen changed no excess , but having had hassle with a accident claim I'm left unimpressed so i changed again, Axa had performed well with a claim three years ago.
Re: Insurance - alvin booth
Jud, I have always understood that no Insurer puts an excess on your insurance due to a screen replacement.
Generally you have to pay £40 or £50 yourself to the glass company and thats it. Or did you mean you didn't have to pay anything?
Alvin
Re: Insurance - Jud
Sorry with whatcar (as last year) you pay nothing to auto glass , no excess on windscreen replacment
Re: Insurance - Alwyn
I was with Royal and Sun Alliance. A good company, though I was paying £340 for my Volvo 740.

What appears to be similar cover with Direct Line was £208.
Re: Insurance - Ian
Hi Colin,
Try Co-operative Insurance Society (CIS) Telephone: 0161 832 8686
Internet: www.cis.co.uk
Regards, Ian.
Re: Insurance - Tony Coote
Hi Colin,
I am also in wrinkly status (40+), i found that Bell Direct were the best. Although your driving history, and postcode will make a difference.
Good luck.
Tony.
Re: Insurance - Richard Hall
I have been very happy with Norwich Union Direct. They handled a claim very efficiently, and don't mind being messed about with temporary changes of vehicle, additional drivers etc.
Re: Insurance - Derek
I found that Direct Line were good price-wise for my wife's car, but I admit we never put them to the test for service, with a shunt. Norwich Union Direct came up with a better price this year, so we changed. For the past 5 years, that included our son, now 21, as a named driver.
Re: Insurance - David Millar
It seems the whole business of car insurance is thoroughly confused and the only answer now is to shop around. I was insured with General Accident for around 20 years, adding my daughter at age 17 to that insurance. GA went into CGNU and became Norwich Union Direct whereupon the premium demanded doubled from around £400 to £800+ this year when my daughter reached 21. The reason given unofficially was that NU had messed up their underwriting on young motorists in 2000 and was trying to get something back. Yet other Backroomers continue to get good deals from the same company. Baffling? Well, said daughter has been working as a temp for a quite different insurance company in the section handling customer complaints. Received wisdom in that company is that the underwriters are poorly trained 20-somethings who regularly (invariably, some critics say) miscalculate risk and premia in all the company's lines of insurance.

For what it's worth, loyalty went by the board for me and I now use CIS who were not only cheap but have an annual Continental breakdown cover deal for very little money compared with AA/RAC etc. No experience of their claims handling but then I hope never to have such.

David
Re: Insurance - John
Oh God> Wrinkly at 40+. What hope for 50+ Then?. I feel soooo old now. Have a great Christmas
Re: Insurance - Andrew
Not much old man, prepare your will and don't forget gifts given to children less than 7 years before death can cause problems.
Bones become more brittle over fifty, carfull how you go