MB A-Class Servicing /Cost - frmarcus
My father has a X-reg (2000) AvantGuard 140 from new, with only 14500 miles (he does fewer than 4000/annum) now. As well as several visits to the dealer for repairs over the years (the usual: key fob; rear suspension springs, etc) he pays a fortune for servicing (nearly #500 recently).

Any tips for reducing / challenging such high charges would be most welcome, togther with any suggestion as to when, given his low mileage, he should have another service. (I'm not not sure what MB's requirement for servicing, in warranty terms, is). Should it be every two years (particularly as he's doing so few miles)?

Many thanks,

frmarcus
MB A-Class Servicing /Cost - Altea Ego
5 years old? is there any warranty left at that age?
MB A-Class Servicing /Cost - solara
I would get it serviced independently, far more cost effective. However if youd much rather prefer paying £20 for MB to change a rear brake light bulb, keep on paying the wads.

I decided to go it alone after the warranty, and do the servicing my self. The baby-benz.com website covers most things that go wrong on these cars.
MB A-Class Servicing /Cost - Aprilia
You'll need at least an annual service - two years would be too long.

I know MB have the very long paint and breakdown warranty on this car - I imagine if it goes outside the dealer network then you would likely lose this benefit.
They are expensive to service, aren't they!
MB A-Class Servicing /Cost - Bill Payer
There are authorised servicing places that you can take it to (usually ex-Merc dealers who got canned a couple of yrs ago). They are listed on the MB website.
The MB Direct used car outlets (there are 5 or 6 of these around the UK) apparently also do servicing a lot cheaper than main dealers.
The advantage of using an authorised garage is that you keep the Mobilolife w'tee (which is really nothing more than somewhat enhanced AA/RAC cover) plus some kind of paint/body w'tee.

Depending on how it's used it might be OK to only have it serviced every couple of years. The MB system will only demand a 2 yr service. If it's used for 1 or 2 miles every day then I'd change the oil every year. However if it's doing a 30 mile run every week then it'll prob be OK. It'll have to be MOT'd every year anyway.

My wife's last car (Clio) was on 2 yr service intervals and it was a devil of a job to get the dealer to change the oil & do a safety check in between - they really didn't want to it!