Vere are you papers?! - A. Badger
I wonder if the combined brains here can answer a question, raised today when a friend, on the edge of tears, called me, having just been stopped and harassed by the police.

She says that she was told it is now mandatory to carry your driving licence with you at all times. I gather the officer who told her this was a great deal less than pleasant about it, too.

She frequently doesn't carry her licence, it appears and I hardly ever do, seeming to recall that the only requirement is that a valid licence has to be produced within seven days.

Has the law been changed? Was it ever as she and I recall it?

Vere are you papers?! - volvoman
Hasn't changed so far as I know, could she simply have misunderstood what was said due to being so upset by the PC's poor attitude?
Volvoman - no, that's the first thing I suggested to her and she was adamant. In fact she says she asked the policeman when the law had changed and got the "it is your duty to know the law..." lecture.

This is the second case I have come across in the past couple of months where a woman driver has been intimidated by traffic police. Neither woman is the tearful kind, either.

Any other opinions? Inside info? Personally, I think she should make an official complaint.

Vere are you papers?! - Blue {P}
Not as far as I know.

Don't get me started about the Police, I've always been very supportive of them, but they annoyed me last night. I was stopped in the street outside a pizza shop at 2 am, as was someone else and a Police van was parked across the double yellows and the pavement whilst the officer driving it went into the pizza shop for his own food.

Anyway, whilst the Police van was sat there, a Police car passed, the officer driving it pulled alongside me, I wound down the window, smiled and was about to ask how I could help when he started barking at me that he wasn't smiling and did I think something was funny, he then had me pull around the corner, got me out of the car and gave me a talking to in the street because I was stopped on double yellows. He also made a veiled threat about me having used my mobile at the wheel, I admit I was texting, but my engine was switched off!

I know it's not right to just abandon cars on double yellows, but I had my sidelights on, lots of cars had managed to drive around me without any difficulty, and I could have moved easily if something massive like a Fire engine had wanted past. I wouldn't have minded as much if there wasn't also a Police van parked on the lines and the pavement to get his pizza whilst all this was going on!

Blue
I too am very supportive of the police and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and not take it personally in such situations. They get such a lot of hassle it's no wonder from time to time they don't act as we'd like. There are a few rotten apples but I believe they are in a very small minority. Why not just put it down to experience?
I think it it is just *because* they need and deserve our support that rotten apples should be dealt with. They make the job harder for the good ones, of whom there are plenty, I agree.
Agree - Why not make a complaint and see what happens. If the copper concerned has an attitude problem then maybe something will be done and if he was just someone who'd had a really bad day and lost the plot temporarily maybe it'll focus his mind on the fact that it's unacceptable. Keep us informed.
Vere are you papers?! - Robin Reliant
The policeman was wrong. There is no requirement to carry your licence at all. I appreciate your friend was intimidated and frightened, but I would have invited the policeman to arrest me for the offence.

I could do with the money.
Vere are you papers?! - frostbite
Unless your friend asked for or noted his collar number I doubt she would succeed with a complaint, however justified.
Fortunately, he insisted that she produce her licence and has issued paperwork accordingly, so his number will be on record.

She says she is going to make an official complaint and the more I hear about what happened, the more justified I think it would be.

I'll report back if she does.
Vere are you papers?! - keo-the-dog
she should complain about the way that this officer acted although fact is it is a legal requirement that you carry your documents. i personally dont and if i did still would not produce them there and then i would always go for the HORT1 and produce at the police station with a witness just in case. i have mistrust of most people i dont know not just police...cheers...keo.
Vere are you papers?! - rtj70
I was surprised a few months back in Manchester. Wife had bought something in Jigsaw and wanted to return it (or similar) and I thought... no point in paying parking. So I went right next to the place (dead end outside M&S and Selfridges if you know it) and was in the car on double yellows and a traffic warden appeared.

Expected this might happen so was about to move and to my surprise... he said I was okay to wait! Because I was in the vehicle and assured I wasn't there for long he told me to wait and no offence! And we had a good chat.

Must say that surprised me! Reminds me when I got a ticket in Cambridge... but that's another story.
Vere are you papers?! - ihpj
No-one deserves to be spoken to rudely or inappropriately by anyone - regardless of them being in a 'position of authority' or not. If a Polcie Officer does so, without just cause, then s/he lets the whole side down. But as many people have already commented, there will always be a few 'bad apples' - it's just a fact of life.

By doing so, it only serves to dis-associate the law abiding public and makes the job of Policing that bit more difficult. Forget not that our police system prides itself on policing by consent - whose consent? The consent of the Law Abiding Public.

So situations like this don't always help. However, we only have the 'facts' from one perspective and then only third hand (hear-say). I'm not saying that whats been written ehre isn't the truth, but it is still one side of teh story and a third hand interpretation of an event.

If she has been wronged, then yes, she should complain. As for the amtter of documents, the Law states that you should have your driving documents to hand - and produce them when asked to do so. Since it is not incumbent upon you to have them (IE: MUST have them) the seven day rule exists for you to produce them in seven days (IE: HO/RT 1 also referred to as the 'Producer'). So the Officer was correct in the sense that you should have your docuemtns with you, but it is NOT a legal requirement for you to do so. Also, we can now cross check Licence, Insurance and (soon MOT) details via a link to the DVLA/Insurerance databses that can, at times, negate the need to produce documents - but these checks are no substitue for actually 'seeing' the documents, just a tool for use since any DB is only as good as the information put into it.

Regardless though, your friend must produce her documents as directed and once the rquirment is complete, then ask to speak with a Sgt. @ the Station to lodge a complaint/to speak with.
Vere are you papers?! - Robin Reliant
ihpj,

Your post is rather misleading on the question of carrying documents. You are in no way obliged to have any form of documentation on your person at any time, whether walking, driving or standing on your head in the middle of the road. You are also entitled refuse to produce them to a police officer unless he arrests you or issues you with a notice to produce them at a police station within seven days.

Having your documents to hand means knowing where they are and being able to obtain them, not having them in your vehicle or about your person.
Vere are you papers?! - rtj70
When involved in an accident (company car) a few years back, police officer who attended did not want to see anything. Had a copy of company insurance and photo license etc. Offered but was to produce at station etc.

Strangely, when I went to get the disposable camera from the car (had one in case I ever needed it), he thought it an "okay idea" but then directed me as what was worth taking a picture of the accident scene and angles/pictures!!
OK well you're never going to please all of the people all of the time. But remember that a requirement without compulsion is not a requirement at all.

I think Section 164 & 165 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 shed some light on this topic, howeer the caveats are as follows:

1. This is not a verbatim quote
2. As with most things it is down to interpretation of each word

...but they do tend to say that:

You MUST be able to produce your driving licence and counterpart, a valid insurance certificate and (as appropriate) a valid MOT certificate when REQUESTED by a Police Officer. If you cannot at the time of request, then you may be asked to produce the relevant documents at a Police Station within seven days.

Now, what is not in dispute is the compulksion/requirement for you to have these items with you all the time. Some people find it easy and produce at the time, others do not. My post was merely to help explain that it can be considered 'best practice' to have (if nothing else) then your DL with you to produce at the time. Although msot people only have the Photocard element so just producing that does not fulfill the legal obligation of producing your licence (you need both parts if it is the enw licence).
You are in no way obliged to have any form of
documentation on your person at any time, whether walking, driving or
standing on your head in the middle of the road.

So I think we now agree that there is no absolute requirement to carry these documetns with you ALL the time?

You
are also entitled refuse to produce them to a police officer

Actually, you are wrong. Once the requirement has been made you MUST produce them for inspection. However majority of people will not have ALL their required documents with them and so producing them at a later date/time is best way forward. But if you have them with you and the requirement is lawful, you MUST produce them.
unless he arrests you or issues you with a notice to
produce them at a police station within seven days.

Some people like to be arrested despite the Officer's best efforts, so that cannot be helped. But simply refusing wont get you arrested :) it might get you reported for failing to produce your documents (if you say you have them with you and then choose NOT to comply with that requirment) - but thats about it.

Although, yes the 'choice' does rest with the person from whom the requirment to produce has been made to either produce them at the time or later. But the choice must be reasonable (IE: I'm sorry Officer but I don't have my documents with me) and appropriate. Just because you don't want to isn't cause enough.
Having your documents to hand means knowing where they are and
being able to obtain them, not having them in your vehicle
or about your person.

Yes, i'd agree with you on this one, but remember, 'best practice' since it can save time and hassel for you if you have them to hand there and then. I personally don't carry my documents with me - like the majority of people out there.
ihpj - "So the Officer was correct in the sense that you should have your docuemtns with you, but it is NOT a legal requirement for you to do so."

Thank you for confirming what was my, and her, understanding of the law. Thank you, also, for your general comments.

Regarding the reliability of her version of events, she's a middle aged medical professional - pretty unflapable and reliable. That she specifically phoned to ask whether I knew it was now mandatory to carry one's licence and said that her attempts to question this officer's interpretation of the law were rebuffed in no uncertain terms (there are other telling details, which I shan't go into here, but they all add credibility to her statement) suggests to me that she is telling the truth.

I'll report back with the outcome though, with the best will in the world, I doubt she'll get much satisfaction from her complaint.

Vere are you papers?! - Hugo {P}
A friend of mine was stopped by two young police officers for no real reason, they were at first intimidating. He suspected they were bored and politely challenged them to state why they had stopped him.

Their response was to come over all informal and chatty saying "nice car" etc. He asked them if they had any further reason to detain him and took their numbers etc. He went on his way.

It just so happened that they reported to a sergent friend of his so he called him up, mentioned the affair and asked him if he could look into it. The Sergent asked if he wanted to complain, but my friend said no, he jsut wanted them to account for their behaviour.

A few days later the two constables in question appeared on the reception area of his work to have a chat with him. They apologised for their actions, my friend accepted and shook hands.

Result:
Friend was satisfied with the outcome
Two PCs learned a very valuable lesson without having a complaint against them
Success

H
Regarding the reliability of her version of events, she's a middle
aged medical professional

Please don't feel that I am questioning her integority or honesty. Just merely highlighting the fact that we have a version of events and particularly from one side.

I do feel strongly when people find Officer's have been/perceived to be a little rude - courtesy costs nothing and where possible a 'please' and 'thank you' can help a situation no end.

I truly hope that the situation resolves itself for her.
I'll report back with the outcome though, with the best will
in the world, I doubt she'll get much satisfaction from her
complaint.

What would you like the outcome of your complaint to be? Would you want the Officer fired? Fined? Have him apologise? In most cases proportionailty needs to prevail. A simple apology might suffice, except for where there has been a horrendous breach of Police Regulations (in this Politeness and Tolerance) and foul language has been used/inappropriate behaviour displayed then it might go further. We're not talking about an assault or the Officer stealing from your friend - so keeping it in perspective, I'm sure on reflection there will be a satisfactory outcome :)
Vere are you papers?! - WhiteTruckMan
AFAIK, the only driving related document it is mandatory to carry with you is a DVLA issued ADR certificate, and then only when in use.

WTM
Vere are you papers?! - Rishab C
I used to be supportive of the POLICE, but now find they are not really there for our benefit any more. I spent the whole of today in the company of the Police, many are thoroughly ashamed of the way they are being used these days, and others simply resort to picking on the most trivial crimes such as those above, which they are still able to deal with.
Rishab C might I boldly suggest that by spending your day with the Police you didn't do too much learning?

By targetting offenders for, as you so eloquently put it 'trivial crimes', it helps the Police deter and disrupt crime.

Think about it. If you know that a particular thief uses a particular motor vehicle to get about, then if you stop him/her whilst driving and then ask him/her to produce his/her documents and they fail to produce them at the time and in seven days time, then that criminal will be sent to Court for, yes a minor infringement, of fialing to produce his/her documents. But over time, if s/he persists in failing to produce his documetns, the Courts will lock him/her up.

By disrupting and deterring criminal activity and the means with which Criminals move about - you are surely preventing crime? OPffence might indeed be trivial, but if you keep putting that criminal through the Criminal Justice System over and over again, it will pay dividends over the longer term. no offence is trivial, no offence should be ignored by the Police. But this is the real world and common sense needs to prevail.

It's a shame that you feel the Officers are only concentrating their efforts on trivial matters - but to someone having no tax might seem trivial, to me shows that this person might not have any insurance or even a DL and needs to be taken off the road before they kill a child? It aint trivial then is it?
Vere are you papers?! - THe Growler
Leaving aside police at all times, surely it is common sense to carry your licence with you at all times along with photocopies of your reg docs?
Vere are you papers?! - L'escargot
Leaving aside police at all times, surely it is common sense
to carry your licence with you at all times along with
photocopies of your reg docs?

If you get mugged and your driving licence is stolen it costs £19 for a duplicate photocard licence. If you still have a paper licence the replacement will have to be photocard licence and for this you could have to pay a "responsible" person to verify your photograph. When I moved house, which necessitated me getting a photocard licence, my doctor charged a fee of £20 to verify my photograph. I'm not sure about carrying a photocopy of my car registration document ~ if that is stolen then it probably makes it a whole lot easier for someone to clone your car.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
of my car registration document ~ if that is stolen then
it probably makes it a whole lot easier for someone to
clone your car.

Correction ~ of YOUR car registration document.....
--
Vere are you papers?! - trancer
Maybe they should make it law that licenses and insurance docs etc should be carried at all times when operating a vehicle. Makes it much easier to weed out those who do not have the proper documents without wasting police time by doing the job twice. Once to stop and ask for documents and again when the documents have to be produced at a station or whatever. Certainly would clear up confusion about what is compulsory/recommended/suggested etc.

Vere are you papers?! - Ex-Moderator
I South America if you do not have all of your documents and all of the car doucments available to show instantly, then the car is impounded. (the fines are awful).
Vere are you papers?! - runboy
The police are allowed to stop a vehicle and request the driver shows them the relevant documentation. It is an offence not to, but one of those laws that in this day and age wouldn't work-thieving of document from the glovebox would be a nightmare, company vehicles where the MOT cert is stored centrally etc. So the Police provide a HORT1 which give you 7 days from midnight of the stop the produce the indicated documents at a Police station. The officer will explain (hopefully) that failure to produce said documents at the police station will mean you are reported for the offence. I think thats right!
>>but one of those laws that in this day and age wouldn't work

It does in the United States, Brasil, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Peru, Columbia, Ecuador and many others.
Vere are you papers?! - trancer
Why have documentation in a glove box?.

*sit tight for yet another weary USA commentary*

When I lived in the US, insurance companies would send out small wallet sized cards with all your insurance/vehicle info on it along with the regular papers and contract etc. When you renewed your registration (equivalent of tax disk) you also got a small wallet sized card with all the vehicle info on it. These two things were issued in smaller wallet sizes so they would fit handily in...you guessed it.

Granted some people don't carry wallets, but unless they like to dress like Robin Hood, they most likely have clothing with pockets which will also handily fit the small cards.

You are required to have a ticket on your person to board a train, a passport on your person to board an international flight, so why not a license and docs on your person to drive a car?.

For fleet vehicles I drove the documents were always in the vehicle and I don't see how having those documents in the vehicle made it any easier for thieves.

A HORT1 producer which requires you to produce your documents at a later date won't get an unlicensed, uninsured driver off the road. If they weren't bothered about being legal to drive, why would they be bothered about showing up at a police station to produce documents they don't have?.
A HORT1 producer which requires you to produce your documents at
a later date won't get an unlicensed, uninsured driver off the
road. If they weren't bothered about being legal to drive,
why would they be bothered about showing up at a police
station to produce documents they don't have?.

>>

The British system is designed on the basis that an English Gentleman's word is his bond. If I say something to you then it is true. But in any system where 'goodwill' is given/received, can be open to abuse. Trancer hit the nail on the head with his comment about the HO/RT1.

But also note that that there is NOTHING directly in the Road Traffic Act (or others) that gives a Police Officer the power to PREVENT an uninsured driver from driving? Scary isn't it? All that can be done is for the driver to be summonsed for the offence and be dealt with 'at court at a later date'.

Rediculous IMHO.
Vere are you papers?! - THe Growler
...umm. All I know in the numerous countries where I've lived, carrying your licence and evidence of ownership have been mandatory. A day in a Saudi traffic jail is not something you need on your sightseeing calendar of the Kingdom for example. Mind you I've been told the chicken curry in the Bahrain Police Fort isn't half bad.

Here if you can't produce the reg docs your vehicle gets impounded and when after a great deal of effort you recover it it will be minus battery, spare wheel, radio and anything else you had in it. Our police are such fine upstanding chaps, running regular vehicle checkpoints to flush out terrorists, guerrillas and wealthy looking foreigners.....

(of course I do "know" someone here who "gave" me about 6 drivers licences for a small consideration.... ;+) ) All legal ones as well. End of worries there.
Vere are you papers?! - Rishab C
lhpj,
Think about it. If you know that a particular thief uses a particular motor vehicle to get about, then if you stop him/her whilst driving and then ask him/her to produce his/her documents and they fail to produce them at the time and in seven days time

These are exactly the activities the Police are prohibited from doing these days!!! You have obviously missed my point.
These are exactly the activities the Police are prohibited from doing
these days!!! You have obviously missed my point.

>>

Oh right, sorry...obviously Crime Prevention is something the Police shouldn't be active in and of course, we must apologise to the Law Abiding Criminal for infringing his Human Rights by stopping and asking him/her to produce his Driving Documents because s/he might not have any - so we should let them off and allow them to drive with impunity to travel (by using the car) to commit crimes?

We should, as a Police Service, persecute the good and law abiding citizens of this country who pay their dues and abide by the very letter of the law...
Vere are you papers?! - Dwight Van Driver
Badger

Technically speaking one should carry Driving Licence etc.

Why:

Section 164 Road Traffic Act 1988 states under various circumstances (including person driving a m veh on a road)a driver MUST, on being so required by a Constable produce their Driving Licence and counterpart. A person who fails to do so commits an offence. BUT in any proceedings for fail to produce it shall be a defence to show that the Licence/Counterpart was produced personally at a Police Station nominated by the driver at the time of the requirement within 7 days or as soon as was reasonably practicable or the day before proceedings were commenced.

So on one hand the law requires you to prouce at the time but accepts this can be done later.

DVD
DVD: "Technically speaking one should carry Driving Licence etc."

Thanks for yet more clarification/confirmation.

Leaving aside the question of whether the law should be changed (personally, I don't think it should - the police have access to all manner of checks by radio now and it will always be far too easy to leave home in a hurry, without papers - why criminalise yet more ordinary people?), the real issue here was the misinformation allegedly conveyed and the way in which it was done.

I'll keep trying to find the outcome of this sorry tale and will report back, if possible
Vere are you papers?! - Thommo
Mark,

'In South America if you don't have your papers with you the vehicle is impounded and the fines are awful.'

Come off it. In such areas there is a small 'fine' when stopped whether you are carrying your papers or not...

ihpj,

'We should, as a Police Service, persecute the good and law abiding citizens of this country who pay their dues and abide by the very letter of the law...'

Well lets be frank thats all your lot do these days...
>>Come off it. In such areas there is a small 'fine' when stopped whether you are carrying your papers or not...

I didn't know that you had spent much time down there. Where were you ?

Lets take two;

Chile [law-abiding] - Your car *will* be impounded. You may be imprisoned.You *will* be heavily fined.

Brasil [not law-abiding] - Serious stuff. If you do not pay a very large bribe, your car *will* be impounded. It will frequently be impounded anyway because there is more money in it that way. If they decide to go the official route the fines are huge. No small fine or small bribe will be involved.

Driving licences and vehicle registration certificates are valuable documents which need to be kept in a safe place until as and when it is necessary for them to temporarily come out of hiding. In this lawless day and age, permanently carrying them on your person or keeping them in your car cannot be classed as safe. I intend to keep my documents as safe as possible, and if that means running the risk of falling foul of the law then I will take that chance.
--
Vere are you papers?! - Truckersunite
As has been said there is no actual requirement to carry it with you, the only requirement is that you can "produce" the relevent documents upon demand. Hence the issue of the "7 day wonder". Sounds yet again like more of our wonderful boys in blue are thinking that they are the law rather then there to enforce the law.

I have a real problem with the patronising attitude of the majority of the poilce, I have on occasion walked off from them and told them that unless they can talk to me in a civil manor then I will not speak to them. They are getting more bulshy as time goes on.