Mazda 323 Timing Belt - Pootle
Hi all,

Hope someone out there can give me some advice!

I own a Mazda 323F Shiraz on a 99/T plate. It's running fine, no problems, I took it in recently for the 54k service (even though it's only done 46k) and I was told that the timing belt/tensioner change happens upon certain mileages with Mazda, rather than over a timescale. Is this a wise move to sit and wait until it's done 54k and take it in for a new belt then, or should I get it done now? I don't particularly want to shell out for one if I don't need it yet, but I don't want the timing belt to break and cause costly damage to the engine as a result! The car used to belong to my Mum who would drive about 2 5-mile trips per day - my use is more intensive, it's doing about 20 miles per day and I took ownership after around 39k... just wondered if use is a factor in the wear of the car.

Nice car, but it costs an arm & a leg to service! 54k service= £300+ They also quoted me £500 to replace the rear shocks (very slight leak - not enough to fail its MOT) and the front brakediscs (slightly corroded - again, not enough to fail its MOT). Am I being stitched up? Is it worth looking to get the shocks & brakediscs elsewhere or is it best to stay with the Mazda garage?

Thanks all

Si
Mazda 323 Timing Belt - Aprilia
Shocks and brakes are pretty basic work on this car - most competent independent garages should be able to handle it. KYB (Japanese OEM) rear shocks are about £90 the pair. You can get good quality aftermarket discs (e.g. Delphi) for about £50 the pair on this car; pads about £15. Your total job cost could be halved from £500 quoted.
Mazda 323 Timing Belt - Aprilia
PS- I would leave the belt till it hits the mileage point.
Mazda 323 Timing Belt - BMDUBYA
Just had my Cambelt done on mine( 51 plate 96k) this is the second belt change on the car done early, as many people have pointed out, I would rather pay the £185 it cost me at my excellent local independant, than run the risk of having to buy a new engine, however as you can see I do a lot of miles and mostly on the motorway. Again if you can find a GOOD independant, things are usually a lot cheaper. BTW, fantastic car.