VW Golf TDI 130 Mk4 - Youngloch
2 incredibly annoying problems have just turned up separately on my 2002 Golf.......

The first one started this morning when I opened the front door to see the car with the brake lights all lit up! Tried the fuses but no difference and then gently pulled the brake pedal (its not loose) and magically the lights went out.... is this a WD40 fix or a sign of something else?

The other problem has stopped for today but comes and goes and that is that at times it will tell me that the boot is open (which it's not....) I can be driving along (when this fault is present) and it will occasionally just keep beeping telling me the boot is open and then next minute say its shut and then beep again..... Soon the beeping of the car is matched by my beeping!

Any ideas? For such small things Im loathed to go to a garage and pay out bundles!
VW Golf TDI 130 Mk4 - Adam {P}
I'd look at the contacts on the boot. That would be the first (and cheapest) thing to eliminate.
--
Adam
VW Golf TDI 130 Mk4 - JohnM{P}
Check the following...
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=29...7

Does the boot smell of windscreenwasher fluid?
VW Golf TDI 130 Mk4 - elekie&a/c doctor
sounds like you have the standard mk 4 Golf faults ; boot open warning is a fault on tailgate microswitch,change latch assy about £25.Brake lights staying on is usually pedal switch ,about £9 & a bit tricky to fit.( brake light fault can also cause loss of engine power on some models.)
Typical... as of tonight both problems have fixed themselves - are these probably going to be intermittent things?
Well read all helpful comments - brakes are ok at mo so left them be but popped out with a torch to sniff for windscreen wash fluid - nothing obvious though.... then tried to clean as spray has only been going about 3/4 way up screen since winter freeze.....

Gave it a good spray to run water through it, shut boot, locked up and then back indoors..... everything fine content maybe it had sorted itself.....

Then Woo-Hoo-Woo-Hoo-Woo-Hoo..... alarm going/lights flashing/neighbours grumpy.....

So I think that's tied that one down!! Thanks for help!